Landini??

/ Landini?? #11  
The tooling of the UK McCormick plant is sold to the Russian truckmaker Kamaz (known from paris-dakar rally) and the tractor production is being moved to the Landini plant in Italy.
The high British Pound is too much of a burden for them to compete with prices of the competition.

/ Landini?? #12  
Westendorf-RR said:
Thanks Robert... There is some McCormick and/or Agco association, however tractor frames are not identical. We still maintain specific mounting kits for the Landini tractor.

I wonder if Massey Ferguson kept some ownership of Landini when Argo bought the majority share from them. If so when MF was aquired by Agco then Agco and Argo would share ownership and some parts. That could get confusing for secretarys if it is the case:confused:

/ Landini?? #13  
Renze said:
The tooling of the UK McCormick plant is sold to the Russian truckmaker Kamaz (known from paris-dakar rally) and the tractor production is being moved to the Landini plant in Italy.
The high British Pound is too much of a burden for them to compete with prices of the competition.

Renze, do you know how much of McCormick is all McCormick or do they have some tractors made by other companies? I was thinking they were all in house built as I can't find any reference to agreements with any other OEM except for Iseki and MF owning Landini at one point.

/ Landini?? #14  
Robert_in_NY said:
Buhler only rebadged the Genesis as a Starland for Landini. I don't know how many they sold but it only lasted one or two years.

Landini is part of Argo which also owns McCormick. They have 6 plants in Italy as well as one in France and one in England. The Landini brand had tractors made for them by Iseki and Massey Ferguson owned Landini from 1959 till Argo bought majority share in 1994 so I would think there would have been some crossover during that time frame.

However, I have not found anything to show New Holland makes tractors for Landini and to my naked eye it appears Landini tractors are Landini tractors. They build just about everything on site at their own plants. They buy their motors but assemble them to their own transmissions and rear axles and put their own cab on top.

I have always like Landini tractors (they are blue:) ) and if you have information showing who makes certain models please post it as I enjoy learning about all the different tractor brands.

Landini Canada's website has a lot of information on Landini if you are interested. Look under the About Landini page Landini Canada Inc Bradford Ontario Landini Tractors

Yup ..Sorry for the brief replies but It was the starland i was talking about .I had one landini briefly ,I forget numbers ,It was a MF 600 series ,I've heard nothing bad about them ,They were a very popular stockmans tractor in the UK ,Just not really associated with large farming ?

I hear what you say about different brands being interesting ,30 years in england ,A brief time in france and 10 years in canada buying/selling used tractors and farming has given me a good variation of brands and a good idea of what i like and what sells and which gave problems ...Hence i still hold the ford flag with MF in second and deere next and a huge passion for the old british marques like leyland and fordson and nuffield ....Thats probably in my blood.?

/ Landini?? #15  
D7E said:
Yup ..Sorry for the brief replies but It was the starland i was talking about .I had one landini briefly ,I forget numbers ,It was a MF 600 series ,I've heard nothing bad about them ,They were a very popular stockmans tractor in the UK ,Just not really associated with large farming ?

I hear what you say about different brands being interesting ,30 years in england ,A brief time in france and 10 years in canada buying/selling used tractors and farming has given me a good variation of brands and a good idea of what i like and what sells and which gave problems ...Hence i still hold the ford flag with MF in second and deere next and a huge passion for the old british marques like leyland and fordson and nuffield ....Thats probably in my blood.?

I like the old Fordson line but Leyland and Nuffield are tractors I have only seen in pictures so far. With the way the internet has helped collectors I keep expecting to start seeing more non-North American tractors over here at the show circuits. I did see a great Porsche tractor restored at one of the local shows a couple years ago. I love the nose of that tractor as it really sets it apart from the rest of the tractors.

I am surprised MF has never really gained a foot hold over here. There are some areas of North America where MF is popular then you meet other areas where they have never heard of them. I guess it all depends on how good of a dealer the area had. My local MF dealer used to have a lot of business but as the kids took over they have destroyed that dealership. They hardly have any tractors there anymore and that scares me as if I want to buy a MF and they go under (which I do expect) then I have to go to the Agco dealer and try and get "Massey Ferguson" parts from them.

/ Landini?? #16  
I have always liked Landinis although I have never owned one before. After leaning towards purchasing a new NH TN70, I looked at new Landini Alpines and Power Farms. I thought the NHs looked cheaper, with poor paint quality on the underbits. I am also less than 10 km from the Landini/McCormick Canadian headquarters and there are two Landini dealers that are also very close. For me it is time to graduate to FWD and cab with heat and A/C. I'm sick of listening to my brother-in-law gloat about listening to Q-107 while haying in air-conditioned comfort in his CIH CX100. Regarding Landini/McCormick badge engineering, after perusing both websites, I noticed that the Landini Alpine and the McCormick CXL are virtually identical except for paint. I'm sure there are others too. I think the Italians know how to make a good tractor, but it is wise to research where a particular model is manufactured. For instance, some **** good machines came out of the (now history) Doncaster England plant over the years including my beloved IH454 diesel - not to mention said brother-in-laws 1998 CX100, but I would be wary of buying a McCormick CX,MX etc. built in the last year by a bunch of probably dissillusioned ARGO employees who have known for over a year that they will be out of a job at the end of 2007.

/ Landini?? #17  
Robert_in_NY said:
I like the old Fordson line but Leyland and Nuffield are tractors I have only seen in pictures so far. With the way the internet has helped collectors I keep expecting to start seeing more non-North American tractors over here at the show circuits. I did see a great Porsche tractor restored at one of the local shows a couple years ago. I love the nose of that tractor as it really sets it apart from the rest of the tractors.

I am surprised MF has never really gained a foot hold over here. There are some areas of North America where MF is popular then you meet other areas where they have never heard of them. I guess it all depends on how good of a dealer the area had. My local MF dealer used to have a lot of business but as the kids took over they have destroyed that dealership. They hardly have any tractors there anymore and that scares me as if I want to buy a MF and they go under (which I do expect) then I have to go to the Agco dealer and try and get "Massey Ferguson" parts from them.

Don't get me wrong..MF have had and will always have a good following but tend to be MF lovers and never seen in mixed fleets ,I have a passion for 3000 series for their cabs and hyd/draught control and 2000 series for their sheer ugly beauty/simplicity/ force and reliability (apart from the V8's)

/ Landini?? #18  
Landini was independent, then purchased by MF, then purchased by ARGO with AGCO retaining a small percentage. According to my info, AGCO sold its last 9% in 2000. Iseki owned a smal percentage, but I don't know if they still do.

ARGO then bought the McCormick name and plant in England. Plant is now closed. Many McCormick's and Landini's are basically the same.

MF, and later AGCO, distributed them in USA. Later American Jawa (previously Zetor & Century, now TYM), then ARGO's own Landini USA.

I believe they build, or used to, the TCE series for New Holland. The Starland was built by Buhler. The 40-series and McCormick CT series are built by LS (LG).

ARGO builds crawler and vineyard tractors for AGCO, and some tractors for Iseki.

ARGO also owns Laverda, which builds hay machinery and combines, and sold 50% to AGCO last year.

/ Landini?? #19  
Landini is a good tractor. Yes you can get parts from McCormick/Landini with no problems. They use Perkins engines. I have visited their factory several times. First class operations.

/ Landini?? #20  
After having cut my teeth in the tractor world with a MF231, I quickly learned that Perkins engines are great - take a beating and sip fuel. Only problems with the MF231 was no cab and no FWD and too little power.

So went looking for a new tractor and landed at Landini's doorstep in Bradford, Ontario. This is also the parts distribution centre for Canada and you could eat off the floor and so I was impressed and they had lots of units (Landinis and McCormicks) sitting out in the compound. Checked out a PowerFarm 85 (4 cylinder 4.4 litre non-turbo) with cab, FWD, AC/heating, and a bunch of other stuff (non hydraulic clutch version).

I've had the unit for about a month and haven't had a chance to use it for much but it's tough, looks good, great HVAC system, and no turbo problems to worry about in future. The Perkins engine seems to be quite efficient for the few hours I put on it and I'm looking forward to using it a lot this summer.

By the way, I had actually put in an offer on a new TN75DA (3 cylinder, 3.3 litre, dual inline turbos) about an hour before I bought the PowerFarm but no go. I'm glad it didn't happen because although the units look almost identical from a distance, quality on the TN is somewhat lighter (even the fuel tank shield is only half as thick as the Landini's) and the TN seems like just a step up from a compact tractor versus a utility tractor (even with the large Hp), and the dual inline turbos frighten me although I know most turbo-diesels are bullet-proof if you take care of them right.

My two-pennies worth.