Ventrac/Steiner/425

/ Ventrac/Steiner/425 #1  

jakeman

Tractor
Power King
Any thoughts or experiences with the Ventrac 3000 or the Steiner 410? I have 4+ acres of wooded, hilly terrain-need to move dirt and haul wood.I am still leaning towards the PT 425(or 422) but I was wondering how the Ventrac and/or Steiner compare to the PT???

/ Ventrac/Steiner/425 #2  
Jakeman:
I looked at literature, specs and prices of Ventrac and Steiner before deciding on Power Trac. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try them out. My impression was that they are capable. They have belt driven front mounted implements rather than hydraulic. For similar packages of implements, I think Ventrac and Steiner were a bit more expensive than Power Trac.
If you can, drive all three and try switching implements, etc. I know Power Tracs sell themselves. I suspect that Ventracs and Steiners do as well. Part of the fun is in the research testing and deciding.

/ Ventrac/Steiner/425 #3  
I agree with Charlie about testing as many as possible. I could not find either locally.

I did look at some of the specs and thought the lift height was way too low for my needs and the implement change looked like a blind spot. It says that you can drive up until the implement touches, pull a lever and connect the belt, but it appeared that you cannot see the implement as the engine compartment is between you and the implement.

They were also more expensive.

/ Ventrac/Steiner/425 #4  
I have had several Steiners in the past and now have a Ventrac 4200. All have been equipped with dual wheels in order to operate safely on slopes of up to 30 degrees. This is the primary reason I have used the Steiners and Ventrac. However, duals cannot be installed on the Steiner 410 or the Ventrac 3000. A Steiner 430 or Ventrac 4100 or 4200 can be equipped with duals. I inquired about putting duals on PT 400 series units and was informed by the factory representative that they were not approved on that size of PT.

The Steiner and Ventrac units have quick-attach front hitches, but they are not as fast as the PT and it is necessary to get out of the seat to complete the attachment in almost all cases. However, that is a very minor issue for me.

I see from your bio that you live in NE Ohio which is the home terrirory of both Ventrac and Steiner. There are many dealers in that area who could serve you.

/ Ventrac/Steiner/425 #5  
I went down the same path as you. I started with looking to aquire a Steiner, then found Ventrac, then came accross PT. I now have a PT 422. Price alone was enough sell me on the PT - not only for the power unit but also for the attachments. I had also had my fill of belt driven attachments. I may someday find some problems with all hydro, but if the worst is the small amount of drips when I change couplings, it won't bother me a bit.

/ Ventrac/Steiner/425 #6  
we also considered to try and pos. buy either of these products and after doing some checking around with the turf industry users and a rather thorough price comparison, we went with power trac.
first this decision was based on price comparison. we could get almost one appliance more than with steiner/ventrac which are really that same brains, the steiner people sold out and than went and after a legal time limit had expired and started ventrac.
Second, found alot of people on a professional site writing me that they just did not get the satisfaction that they expected using the machine in their landscaping business.
i only used the machine at a nj turf show two years ago. my pers. opinion was that it was the right machine for a home owner in not too difficult terrain.