Long 445 hydraulic problem

/ Long 445 hydraulic problem #1  
Schriever, Louisiana about 55 miles sw of New Orle
Tractor
JD 5420, 445 Long
I own a 1978 Long 445. The hyraulic reservoir in the frame collects moisture and forms an emulsion. I am getting ready to change the hydraulic oil. Does anybody have any suggestions on cleaning out the system(run some diesel through it?) and remeding the problem of condensation accumulation in the housing?
Thanks
spp1

/ Long 445 hydraulic problem #2  
seaplanepilot1 said:
I own a 1978 Long 445. The hyraulic reservoir in the frame collects moisture and forms an emulsion. I am getting ready to change the hydraulic oil. Does anybody have any suggestions on cleaning out the system(run some diesel through it?) and remeding the problem of condensation accumulation in the housing?
Thanks
spp1

If you are talking about the tractor hydraulic reservoir (and not one in the loader) be sure to drain all three places under the back half of the tractor. This will include 2 plugs with hex heads about 7/8 " and the bolt through the supply line. Also remove and clean the filter screen and clean it thoroughly. The filter screen is in a wide spot in the supply line just under the starter. Best is just put about 1-1/2 to 2 gallons of fresh oil in after thorough draining and replacing plugs. Run the tractor long enough to thorughly mix the emulsion with fresh oil and thoroughly drain that. Finally refill with fresh oil. Make sure the rubber washers on each end of the filter screen are in place. If they are not you must find them if possible.
Check to make sure there is an oring on the dipstick and that the copper washer on the fill plug is in good shape. Then be sure to change the oil at least once per year to prevent future problems.

/ Long 445 hydraulic problem #3  
seaplanepilot1 said:
Thanks
spp1
To the best of my recollection the last of the 445 tractors would have been in 1975. Some 445DT tractors were produce later though. What color was your tractor origionally and do you have a separate reservoir for the power steering?

/ Long 445 hydraulic problem #5  
seaplanepilot1 said:
Tractor was originally blue. It does have a separate reservoir for the power steering.
spp1

Probably 1974, If the decals were blue with gold letters 1973 or earlier. Blue with white decals 1974 or early 1975. 1975 saw the first of the 460 which replaced the 445. 460 had the hood that tilted forward. The tractor may have been sold new later than that though because about that time tractors were slow selling.