what's it worth?

/ what's it worth? #1  

erniez

what\'s it worth?

I need a small backhoe to occasionally dig foundations for additions. I came across a circa 1960 massey-ferg w/ 1/2 yard bucket, rebuilt engine, new and rebuilt hydraulics, new battery and starter. It needs some work, brakes and minor repairs to clevis pins. It's beat up but still running. Is it worth while to sink a few bucks into it? What's it worth? $4-5000 in working order? Is it hard to repair or find parts for? Please send some professional feed-back. Thanks.

/ what's it worth? #2  
Re: what\'s it worth?

When I was looking for a compact last year, a dealer had a 1999 MF with a about 100 hrs, mower deck and loader for $17k. Don't know the specifications of the one you are looking at, but gut feeling is that a 30 to 40 year-old unit with a backhoe (assumed also 30 to 40 years old) is not 25% to 33% of that price. But then again, it depends on what model you are looking at.

As for parts, get the model number, and check with your local MF dealer.

/ what's it worth? #3  

My experience with the old Masseys is that you need to really look close before you leap. It absolutely must have an auxillarly hydraulic pump ($1000) mounted on the front to have decent hydraulics for about anything. The hydraulics are antiquated. The older Massey's were not designed to accomidate a loader and mine broke the front casting and had to rebuild the entire front axle pin, casting, etc. A backhoe puts additional stresses on a fairly weak front end. There are tractors that are designed to be loader/backhoe tractors and even though used hard remain good buys today. The Masseys that I am familiar with were designed to be ag tractors. I could always find either Massey or After market parts fairly easily for a MF245 (circa 1980). There are many tractor junkyards with good selections.

/ what's it worth? #4  

8/17

Most industrial dealers have "blue books" on contractor-style equipment, but that may be too old. Sounds warm to me also, FWIW,

Jim

/ what's it worth? #5  

Erniez, I am guessing that you are looking at an industrial tractor. If you are the older Massey Industrials did have good hydraulics and the front ends were heavy duty. The heavy-duty, which was in some places taken to almost extreme, such as the 5/8” by 3” steel, encircled front grills to protect the radiator on some models. These were purpose built tractors. The purpose was hard, heavy-duty use. Most have almost no reoccurring problems. Almost if not all of the wear parts were replaceable, such as bushings, bolt on teeth etc. To get a good idea of the price and problems for your specific model go to http://www.ytmag.com/mf/wwwboard1.html these guys can tell you the good and the bad points to look for on the tractor in question.
JerryG

/ what's it worth? #6  

Have you consider in planing all your projects with in the same time than rent a backhoe,for it maybe cheaper in the long run./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
4 or 5 grand that your going to spend can get the little things done.

Thomas..NH

/ what's it worth?

thanks for your reply. I've been spoiled. I did rent until recently. I found an old ford cl20 skip loader used by a resturant to clear snow. The longer I had it the more uses I found for it. I can now take on parts of larger projects I normally would sub out. One small job could pay for a used, older machine but I don't use it often enough to invest $20K+. I already own a multi purpose flat bed trailer @10000lbs cap. This massey weighs 7000.

/ what's it worth?

thanks for the info! i'll get the model # and check back with you. @ 7000 lbs this massey looks like it always had the backhoe.

/ what's it worth?

Wish I could afford a Kubota. My flatbed is maxed out @10K lbs. My bank account would fade far sooner. I found an old ford cl20 skip loader in good shape used by a resturant to plow a parking lot, $1500 was to cheap to pass up. I have found so many uses around the jobsite and I find myself saying "wish I had a backhoe" to go that extra step. Can't afford a kubota but thought I'd beat the brush a see what flew out. This 7000 lb old man jumped out. Thought maybe lightning might strike twice. I'll get the model number and check back. Appreciate your help. Thanks EZ

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by erniez on 8/17/00 05:32 PM.</FONT></P>