Steiner 220

/ Steiner 220 #1  

doggman

Anyone out there have a Steiner 220. I am looking at one that is about 5 years old with a 20 hp Onan. I am looking for input on the durability and performance of this machine.

Is there anyplace in New England where Steiners are popular?

thanks,

doggman

/ Steiner 220 #2  
Local "Rainbow Brigade" dealer sells them here. Mostly to landscapers,golf courses,school boards,parks,etc.... He claims if a non-commercial customer buys one,and it is maintained your grandkids will still be using it!! That is if you could still get fuel then!

/ Steiner 220 #3  
we replaced all our onan engines with kohlers on our buffers for what ever that is worth.

/ Steiner 220 #4  
Steiner and Ventrac products have been sold most widely in Ohio (where they are made), Pennsylvania, and New York. The dealer coverage is lower elsewhere. The equipment is very rugged and suited for commercial duty applications. The 20 hp Onan engine has been the primary power source on Steiner equipment for years.

/ Steiner 220 #5  
Onan makes a great engine - very durable with loads of torque. However, parts are very expensive. Just my two cents. I had 20 hp Onans in my AC's and Simplicity's that I used for years and years.

I just happened to be working at the Steiner plant the other day in Dalton, OH and noticed that you could also get a Kubota diesel powered unit. I'd go for the diesel, myself. The Steiner's appear to be quality, well built units and made in the good 'ol USA. I see a lot of them in use around here - commercial and homeowners.

Jeff

/ Steiner 220
I am specifically interested in the 220. I am concerned about the durability and repairability of both the rear steering and the hydrostatic system.

Does anyone have experience with this machine in this regard.

thanks