Default Vermeer Trailed Mowers

Does anybody out there have any experience with Vermeer trailed mowers. My local dealer keeps steering me towards them, probably as he has a unit fitting my needs sitting on his lot. I know that Vermeer is in with Lely now and it uses segmented shaft drive technology similar the CCM mowers versus tried and true gear drives, is this good stuff or should I buy Kuhn? I like the trailed mower concept but am leery of new stuff like that. I especially do not like the quick clip blades. very gimmicky and looks to wear out after a season.

Tractor
    JD 5325 C/A 4x4 542 FEL - MF 1533 4x4 1525 FEL - Duetz 6006

Default Re: Vermeer Trailed Mowers

I bought the Vermeer TM700 and I really like it. I looked at the Kuhn and the Vicon, but I went with the Vermeer. It does not have as many ( Gadgets ) I guess is the correct word ?? It is just simple !! You can just fly thru the field, I live in rough terrain in North AR, As far as the blades I have used my TM700 for one season already and havent broke or changed any of them. I did sharpen them one time.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455

Shaft drive disc mowers are as old as the gear bed ones. I'm not even sure which exactly came first.

Vermeer is a good name in hay equipment, they seem to be well built.

The shaft drives use a bit less power, some Hesston and MF's are/were shaft drive.

I'd be more inclined to buy a used shaft unit than gear bed unit, but new I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gman1772 View Post
    Does anybody out there have any experience with Vermeer trailed mowers. My local dealer keeps steering me towards them, probably as he has a unit fitting my needs sitting on his lot. I know that Vermeer is in with Lely now and it uses segmented shaft drive technology similar the CCM mowers versus tried and true gear drives, is this good stuff or should I buy Kuhn? I like the trailed mower concept but am leery of new stuff like that. I especially do not like the quick clip blades. very gimmicky and looks to wear out after a season.

I appreciate your input gentlemen. After much consternation and figuring I decided on a new Kuhn GMD.

D7E
    Tractor
    Many

You made the good choice.
    After 15 years working in the UK for silage contract crews i really have seen the lot ...Claas/Taarup/Vicon/PZ/Kuhn/JD/Kidd/Krone/NH/Lely..Etc...Several spring to mind ..JD and kuhn for being good and vicon was Probably one of the fastest mowers but the most poorly built of the bunch,Good beds but the body's shook to peices before one season was over you really were left with nothing more than a frame.....I really can't describe how well and fast they cut though...Very annoying..?
    As always ..Buy a kuhn...?