Co-op 30 tractor advice

/ Co-op 30 tractor advice #1  

madaz

I have a vintage Coop 30 tractor (originally made and sold by Cockshutt as well). It has a positive ground. When boosting or charging the battery, do I reverse the polarity of the charger? Also I am having difficulty with the carb. If anyone has a good one that they would part with for a reasonable price LET'S CHAT.

/ Co-op 30 tractor advice #2  
There's one rule that never changes when connecting a charger or booster battery. Positive to positive, negative to negative.

/ Co-op 30 tractor advice #3  
There's one rule that never changes when connecting a charger or booster battery. Positive to positive, negative to negative.

I was always told to make the last connection to a common ground (when possible) rather than to a battery to eliminate a possible spark close to where the battery could be venting explosive gas...

on a related topic...not sure about new vehicles but it used to be withsome alternators...if you connected a charger to a battery without disconnecting the alternator the cahrger would burn up the built in regulator...?

/ Co-op 30 tractor advice #4  
I was always told to make the last connection to a common ground (when possible) rather than to a battery to eliminate a possible spark close to where the battery could be venting explosive gas...

The rule still applies. The polarity of the charger or booster battery MUST match the battery needing help, regardless of where the ground connection is made.
This is an important safety consideration, and should not be misunderstood.