Bolen Help

/ Bolen Help #1  

DeereHunter

Hi All,
How does anyone feel about Bolen's equipment? I have
an old (1980's) garden tractor (Bolen's) I can't remember the model off hand, but its 15hp. Its been pretty good uptill now.
I stalled out on a hill, and kinda drifted down to where I
keep the gas. well I forgot about the hydrostat trans and
think I might have screwed it up, cause now it won't go.
It runs OK, but will not move, and there are no belts or
bolts missing that I know of. Does anyone have an idea
on this? thnx...

/ Bolen Help #2  
Know very little about that model,but I would check to see if there a lever & knob in which releases your tramsmission.

Also check the shaft from the motor to the transmisson,maybe a pin has broken etc..
The lever & knob should be used for speeds when towing etc..when engine not in use,and there a max on the mph.

Lets just hope the transmisson disengage.

/ Bolen Help
Thomas,
thnx for the info. The Bolen's model is the 1565. but I was
playing with it this past weekend and I even tried moving it again. Its funny cause when you push it, it seems like the trans is engaged, and there's a rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound then
it gets very hard to push, then easy again, then hard etc.
Like it is in gear, but as I mentioned before, when the engine is running and you put it in gear, nothing. I hope I don't have to put it out to pasture :-(
Shawn

/ Bolen Help #4  
Thomas. I used to have a Bolens 1556 it was a very good tractor. That rrrrrrrrrr sound is that you are moving the tractor to fast, if you push the tractor by hand move it slow. Bolens put some type of clutch mech inside the trans that if you lost power on a hill it would slow or stop the tractor. When sitting on the 1556 on the left side frame you will find a strong tension spring that keeps the belts from the crank shaft pulley to the drive shaft pulley tight, on my 1556 it would break the spring every two or three years always had a spare spring.

Good Luck

Doug

/ Bolen Help
Doug,
Thanks for the insight. I'll look to see if that spring is broken.
yeah, I use the Bolens for small mowing around my garden beds and I just got a used rototiller attachment this past summer at an auction. I haven't yet had a chance to use
the tiller because of the problem I was having. Hopefully
I can get the garden tilled before winter sets in.
Shawn

/ Bolen Help #6  
Shawn,

Let me know how you come out. Have you ever used a tiller behind a Bolens before?

Good Luck

Doug