Versatile 150 series2 tractors

/ Versatile 150 series2 tractors #1  

verstore

Tractor
versatile 150 series 2
Hello, New guy living in Northern Saskatchewan. (It is still freezing overnight up here). I run a 1981 Versatile 150 Series2 bi-directional- when I'm not repairing the thing-,any other users out there who use these tractors or who have access to parts or may wish to part with a machine? I am interested in OEM's who supplied Versatile with elements of the units. They are hydrostatic drive and are good for getting into small spaces and also for great difficulty getting out as the steering switches front to back when reversing. Loader work and 3point hitch application is provided an excellent view since the seat swivels 180 degrees. There is also a larger version the 160. Mine has a Perkins 4.236 engine.I'm looking forward to hearing from other owners. Regards, Happy Trails

/ Versatile 150 series2 tractors #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Versatile 150 series2 tractors #3  
Hey there! WELCOME to TractorByNet.com! :)

I have moved your thread to the All Other Brands Forum. You'll get a better response there. ;)

/ Versatile 150 series2 tractors
Thankyou Bri, I do like a good learning experience. I am hoping we can start a community of owner/users of these tractors. In my experience it is difficult finding parts to maintain them. They also retain their value. When they are offered for sale they are snapped up quickly at premium prices. regards Andrew

/ Versatile 150 series2 tractors #5  
Verstore-

That's great. It must be quite difficult to not have that kind of brand support. If you know any other Versatile owners, be sure to tell them to sign up here so we can build up more of a community base for Versatile.

/ Versatile 150 series2 tractors #6  
Hope you have more luck than this guy.

I had one of these contraptions from a neighbor coming in my shop on a regular basis.

I rebuild the engine twice.
I hung the tranni back under after it fell out,drop boxes went out or broke off
I welded and reenforced the rear axle after it cracked under the pumpkin.
The articulate joint tore loose and had to be straightened and beefed up.
The 3 point hitch bend and broke a couple times,clutch went out,drive lines busted.
Hydr where always a problem as was the pivot under the seat where the electrics come trough.,the brakes are a PITA. The loader had every time some thing wrong with it.etc etc..... It was either broke or close to it.These tractors must the worst piece of **** they ever designed.:ashamed:
I wouldn't want to own one if they paid me to.:p

/ Versatile 150 series2 tractors #7  
Hello, New guy living in Northern Saskatchewan. (It is still freezing overnight up here). I run a 1981 Versatile 150 Series2 bi-directional- when I'm not repairing the thing-,any other users out there who use these tractors or who have access to parts or may wish to part with a machine? I am interested in OEM's who supplied Versatile with elements of the units. They are hydrostatic drive and are good for getting into small spaces and also for great difficulty getting out as the steering switches front to back when reversing. Loader work and 3point hitch application is provided an excellent view since the seat swivels 180 degrees. There is also a larger version the 160. Mine has a Perkins 4.236 engine.I'm looking forward to hearing from other owners. Regards, Happy Trails

First of all I'd like to say welcome to the site. I've been on here for awhile and the one thing everyone enjoys is photo's so lets see a few of this very interesting tractor. I haven't see one here in Newfoundland but do work for a large farm and will ask the guys if they know of one and will post my findings. Having a Perkin's engine is a big plus in any machine. I had one in an industrial tractor many years ago and it was a fantastic motor. Welcome to the site. Paul in Newfoundland

Hope you have more luck than this guy.

I had one of these contraptions from a neighbor coming in my shop on a regular basis.

I rebuild the engine twice.
I hung the tranni back under after it fell out,drop boxes went out or broke off
I welded and reenforced the rear axle after it cracked under the pumpkin.
The articulate joint tore loose and had to be straightened and beefed up.
The 3 point hitch bend and broke a couple times,clutch went out,drive lines busted.
Hydr where always a problem as was the pivot under the seat where the electrics come trough.,the brakes are a PITA. The loader had every time some thing wrong with it.etc etc..... It was either broke or close to it.These tractors must the worst piece of **** they ever designed.:ashamed:
I wouldn't want to own one if they paid me to.:p

My late Dad would say "If you don't have anything good to say, you should say nothing at all". In this case it should apply.

Since I've been on this site and a few others I've adapted my own saying "Never put down another mans machine".

Now I have to break both my own rules and say this. I'm in the repair business and IF I had to rebuild someones engine TWICE and the cause of the second time wasn't because of the hours on it I would consider myself a failure.

Now that I'm in my own repair business I get the chance to work on many different types of equipment including everything in automotive. One of our largest customers is a government department on the federal side. In the last few years they've updated there fleet and purchased new GM trucks. Now that the warranty is off of them I'm loving it. You would be hard pressed to go by my shop and not see a GM truck out by my door waiting to be repaired. Now don't think I'm new to this type of work. I was a technician for 15 years at a GM dealership and later on a service manager and still own a GMC truck but not a new one. When I decided to retire my truck from snow clearing after 13 years of trouble free service I bought a tractor and only use my truck to pull my welding machine around now.

I noticed in your signature you own not one, not two but three of these trucks:( oh man if they are the later type trucks your could to be really busy working on them. You might not but COULD BE.

I'm not going to call your trucks a POS like you did about this mans tractor which was very wrong in my honest opinion but I'm sure everything is not created equal and I'm sure all these types of tractors as with the GMC trucks aren't the same with the same issues. Your response to this mans post was just wrong :mad:

/ Versatile 150 series2 tractors #8  

Welcome aboard! I searched hard for a Versatile but could never find one. Ended up buying an Italian bi-directional.

/ Versatile 150 series2 tractors #9  
I have a Versatile 150 Series 2 that I need to fix.
I have only owned for abou 2 years.
It will start and run for about 7 seconds then stall, when I try to restart it it doesnt want to turn over. Feels like the motor is siezed or something is holding it back from cranking.
If I wait a few days and try it again, it will start and do the same thing...any thoughts?
I burnt the starter ouit and had it rebuilt, cranked better, but still same issue.
Batteries were replaced at the same time as the starter and charged up.
I have pulled injectors and looked for a leaking head gasket or stuck injector, but no signs of excess fluid. Oil on dipstiock looks good?
Disconected the hydrostatic drive pump from the motor incase it failed and held back the motor. The accesory hydraulic pump is gear driven from the gearbox on the perkins engine...Could this hold the motor back from cranking?
If you crank the engine over for longer then about 15 or 20 revs, it will start to get harder to crank until it locks up....
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

/ Versatile 150 series2 tractors
Hello, I share your frustration,these units can be temperamental. If mine is reluctant to start I first check fuel. The water separator will collect a surprising amount of crud in these 30 year old tanks. Mine is at the rear base of the diesel tank. I had a loss of prime issue that resulted from a split in the intake line of the canister.I only found it when I noticed a fuel drip when the tractor was turned off. It was cracked on the inside of a sharp radius where the intake hose turned from the tank to the separator. Take the separator apart and clean it with something petroleum based. I then go thru the bleed process of every component including the pump (three ports) and EACH injector. My unit does not have the original fuel solenoid on the fuel pump, nor does the manual pump function. I put an electric fuel solenoid in the fuel line. It is activated by turning the key to the right as you sit in the seat, mine makes an audible clicking when it is working. needless to say when it fires with injectors open there will be fuel everywhere. I suppose you know that the seat must be locked in place,and the hydrostatic control lever must be firmly in neutral. The steering valve can be difficult ,be sure to clean it with air or electrical parts cleaner, you will need good aim or a long arm to get to it. I must go out for an hour or two, I will cogitate on your problem and get back to you. Good luck