LONG 560 DT Power Steering Cylinder Question

/ LONG 560 DT Power Steering Cylinder Question #1  

scooter101

Issue with Power Steering - Steers to the right NO Problem. Steers really hard to the left.

Two years ago the cylinder was leaking power steering fluid. I took it to a cylinder repair shop and had it repaired ($300 approx). After I re-installed the power steering cylinder it worked for a very short time but then stopped working (when turning to the left). I removed the cylinder front casing (with pivot arm) and noticed that one of the lock ring clips was not in place and appeared one end was broken. I put it in place and re-assembled the cylinder. Last year it worked most of the time but continued to steer hard to the left... though it was drivable.

The other day I felt/heard a click and the steering to the left was almost completely gone. That is, I have to really muscle it to go left (right works fine). I took the cylinder apart again and found the clip (lock ring) had popped out. So I put it back. The cylinder then worked for a short time (5 min) but then became hard to turn left again.

I then disconnected the cylinder from the tie-rod. I started the tractor and the cylinder went right to a compressed position. I worked the pivot arm but the cylinder would not push out. I the removed the cylinder completely from the tractor and opened the front casing again. The clip was in place (I thought it would have been off).

My question is.... is there something I am doing wrong? Should I be bleeding the cylinder or something? It is a double action cylinder and works in one direction but not in the other. Is there a valve or something inside the cylinder that is not working?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

/ LONG 560 DT Power Steering Cylinder Question #2  
Where is the cylinder mounted? I had a Universal 445 DT with the same issues. Check on my previous response to this problem. If it is like mine there is a set screw in the end of the cylinder that comes loose.

/ LONG 560 DT Power Steering Cylinder Question
Hi Wrench,
This tractor has the cylinder on the left side. It is a double action cylinder. Yesterday I talked with someone who has some aftermarket cylinders... they are pricey. He mentioned that on this "original" cylinder that when they undergo maintenance (I had taken it to a shop to have a leak fixed) they need to be "centered". He said this has to be done when it is installed on the tractor.

This sort of makes sense, but I have no idea how to go about doing this. Any tips to calibrating or centering a cylinder like this would be helpful.

Thanks again to all for reading this post.

/ LONG 560 DT Power Steering Cylinder Question
I have spent several hours (days) taking the cylinder off the tractor and taking it apart. I think I finally figured out the issue. When you remove the outer case (with the pivot) you can remove the R.H and L.H plate (inner ball cap). I think of these as the "ball and socket" for the pivot. The R.H. plate has several washers. These washers were inserted incorrectly. There should be a total of 4 washers (Belleville discs) and one slightly thicker flat washer. It appears the Belleville discs act as springs. Anyway, I repacked everything as best I could and put it back together. Voila... it seems to work again.

However, it is still a bit harder to turn to the left than to the right. I still am not sure I understand how to "center" this thing. At least I can use the tractor but it would be nice if I could get it to steer equally easy in both directions.

/ LONG 560 DT Power Steering Cylinder Question #5  
If the ram (shiny part 1"+ dia) exits from the front of the cylinder it can be centered. Loosen the clamp bolt and turn the ram. Careful; it can go into autosteer.
If it exits from the rear I don't think it can be adjusted. But the valve spool may be binding in the valve housing.