Pasquali 988 Clutch issue

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #11  
I just noticed your other post. Believe it or not, if your tractor is like mine you should be able to get into the clutch without splitting it. The way mine is setup, if you take off the hood and the front of the tractor there are like 6 or 8 bolts that hold the motor to the bellhousing. Thus, on mine the motor has to be removed to get to the clutch, assuming your is similar to mine.

The only reason I had to split mine was to get access to the back half of the transmission. If its really a clutch issue, and I am positive it is just as you are saying, there probably is no need to split it unless I am missing something with your model.

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #12  
Also as far as parts, there is a gentelmen named Jack Speake in NH and he was the only source of parts I could find readily available in the US. He is a good guy and very easy to talk to. Sometimes it takes him along while to ship parts though, fyi.

American Pasquali | 4-wheel drive tractors for sale

That is his business website, I can also look up the number I used if you need me to.

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue
Hi Dave thanks yes I agree with you, I made that comment about splitting it after reading other posts from people with clutch issues on tractors. Your right the motor is hung off of the front of the transmission so it looks like you can take the hood off, disconnect all connections to the motor and then support the motor and unhook 6-8 bolts that hold it on and move it forward.

I have an FEL on it so that may make it difficult Id hate to have to pull th at off first. Ill have to see about a engine hoist with a long extention to reach past the FEL??

Also, so that I have ALL the parts I may potential need, do you know what parts I need to request from Jack? IE Clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing? I know those terms but dont know if there are other small parts needed as well.

Thanks for your help Dave

~ Phil

Hi Dave an update for you, I spoke to Jack at American Pasquali and he has a updated clutch assembly/kit and it includes a new bearing for inside the transmission and seal. Looks expensive, $650.00 for the whole thing. Im planning on ordering, hopefully I get it in a couple weeks.

Doesnt sound too back to tear apart, sounds like a 6 hour job for someone who knows what they are doing, so thats a full weekend for me.

Ill keep you posted on it, maybe If I remember Ill take some pictures and document what I do.

~ Phil

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #15  
Thats good, I figured he would have the parts or be able to get them for you. Also, from what I remember the installation shouldn't be too awful bad.

One thought though, if you dont need the tractor regularly, you could possibll tear it apart and see whats going on in there before ordering parts. Its possible that you may not need a whole new everything. Other thing is though if you can swing the money, might as well replace everything while having it apart I suppose.

Please do take pics as you progress along, will be interested to see how it goes for you!

Hi Dave the last time I ordered parts it took about 5 months, Im really hoping it wont take more than a month. Also in talking with Jack I agree its best to swap everything including the bearing in the transmission while its all apart.

Jack had some good ideas such as positioning the FEL and bucket so the arms are up high enough so you can put a pipe across and a comalong to support the engine and just slide it forward to swap out the clutch. Also he suggested using extra long bolts in the engine to align it and get it to slide over the shaft and then put the correct bolts back in.
~ Phil

Well the check is in the mail, we'll see how long it takes to get the clutch kit so I can start. I may get it in the garage in a week and start tearing it apart so Im ready to drop the clutch in when it arrives. THey say it takes 6 hours to do, so for me its probably more like 12. Im thinking I may find other things to deal with while I tear it apart so may be worth while.

~ Phil

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #19  
Here are a few of the clutch fork pics I took when I had my 997 apart a few years ago. I had to take it all apart again to repair the broken shaft...it is a very typical set up...

The shaft seal in the third pic can be replaced by a nipple from a calf feeding bottle - available at farm stores...according to Ray S. from CT.

Joe

Attachments

• A before.JPG
    A before.JPG
    713.5 KB · Views: 629
  • B after.JPG
    B after.JPG
    698.2 KB · Views: 1,549
  • Cable end.JPG
    Cable end.JPG
    664.5 KB · Views: 704
  • D broken.JPG
    D broken.JPG
    770.5 KB · Views: 908
Hi All I have an update on my Pasquali clutch issue, its still an issue.

Basically after waiting months after sending the money to American Pasquali and receiving nothing and no responses to my requests I got a message from another member (I think from this site) pointing me to a different source of parts, italiantractors.com who sent me a new clutch and pressure plate up front without having to first send a check. HE didnt have a throwout bearing so I tore it apart thinking it may be fine but of course it was not. Because it was August and Europe goes on HOLIDAY he had to wait till September to order it. There was an unusual long delay in shipment from Italy but I finally got the throw out bearing last week. The part unfortunately was wrong (I have a 988.30 and it appears that has a slightly different bearing) I decided to file the surface of the throwout bearing down to smooth out the groove the fingers had created in it.

So, I followed the instructions from the manual and from the guidance from Tom at Italiantractors.com and finally got it assembled. I fired it up and attempted to shift it into gear and all I got was GRIND. Yes it appears the clutch is not dis-engaging the engine enough to allow shifting.

So, this is basically the original problem I had and I kept tightening the clutch cable to make it work and that ends up causing the fingers on the pressure plate to collapse and fail, which I do not want to do with my new one.

The clutch peddle is supposed to be adjusted so there is only 3-5 mm of play in it before the throwout bearing touches the fingers on the pressure plate. At that setting the clutch does not dis-engage the engine, I tightened it a bit more so there is no play and it still does not allow shifting without grinding. Actually it grinds so much I cannot get it into gear.

The only questionable part was the adjusting of the pressure plate fingers and I fear that is where I went wrong. It said to use the SUPPLIED tool but also said the fingers needed to be adjusted to 20mm, but 20mm to what? From what I understood from Tom it was to the surface of the pressure plate, is that correct?

Its getting close to winter and I really need to get it working so I can plow, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

~ Phil