Pasquali 988 Clutch issue

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #22  
I know when I was ordering parts off of Jack, he was always slow but was at least responsive. Would call every once and awhile and let me know how the parts search was going.

Seems like his business is even slower now and has taken a turn for the worse. I have heard many complaints about him just in the past few weeks. I will definitely keep the new place in mind if I were to even need parts again :)thumbsup:).

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue
Yeah I wish I was able to get the clutch from Jack as it sounds like a better modern style pressure plate but it went months without getting anything and he stopped responding to my emails and calls. I live about 3 hours away and drove down to see him and he couldn't give me the parts as he didnt have them and said he would send me a check for a refund but in stead we bartered and I got a set of wide flotation tires instead. So Im not out my money at least.

Unfortunately Im still struggling to get my tractors clutch to work. It appears there is very little room for error and with the adjustment tool I made and what I set the fingers to and the fact that I filed down the throwout bearing surface where a groove was from the damaged prior pressure plate the clutch would not dis-engage the engine.

IM waiting for a new throwout bearing center and im re-adjusting the fingers a few mm taller and hoping that makes the difference.

Heres a few pictures:

Groove worn in throwout bearing:
Pasquali Tractor :: Throwout_Bearing.jpg picture by mjenphil - Photobucket

Throwout bearing re-surfaced but now possibly to thin
Pasquali Tractor :: Throwout bearing picture by mjenphil - Photobucket

New pressure plate and clutch installed:
Pasquali Tractor :: Pressure Plate picture by mjenphil - Photobucket

Home made tool to adjust fingers to 20mm
Pasquali Tractor :: Homemade adjustment tool picture by mjenphil - Photobucket

~ Phil

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #24  
Phil,
This is from my manual...hope it is clear enough...had to use a screen capture to get it. It looks like the 20mm is the difference in height between the bell housing and the fingers.

If the tool looks like a large letter E the 20mmm seems to be the difference between the two end legs and the middle leg. Honestly, I am guessing at this...

Joe

Attachments

• Pasquali Clutch.JPG
    Pasquali Clutch.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 666
Hi Joe thanks for the info, that picture you have is clearer than what I was looking at in the manual I have.

From what Tom at Italiantractors.com is saying the 20mm measurement is between the tip of the fingers and the surface of the pressure plate. He said to ignore the E shape of the tool that the shape doesn't mean anything. Looking at it I think the shape allows for holding the tool in place and spinning the flywheel without the nut that holds the finger down hitting the tool.

With the tool I made I cannot spin the motor I have to lift and move the tool to adjust each finger.

I expect to get the new centre by Tuesday and should be installing it on Wednesday so Ill have an update then.

~ Phil

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #26  
Phil,
Measuring from the pressure plate does make more sense. When I had mine apart I did not adjust it and lucked out that all was ok.

Was your throughout bearing seized that it scoured the center section or some other issue that caused that?

My manual is for a 997...it has a lot of fairly clear pictures in it. I don't know if there are many similarities between a 997 and a 988.30...always willing to check however.

I bought another 997 from Ray S in CT a couple of months ago. Its turned out to be a really great machine. He put a new clutch in it that was hardly used by the time I picked up the machine. It seems like an adjustment is in order as it appears not to be fully disengaging after it gets warm.

Tom Brach is a very upstanding individual to deal with, excellent communication and very honest.

I like your video of plowing snow. Where I'm at it is only a matter of days before we get some.

Joe

Last edited:
Hi Joe so where are you located?

Back on my problem, my throwout bearing had a gouge scorn in it because I think when I got it the clutch was adjusted so tight that the fingers were riding on it all the time. Then while I owned it when I had the mounts for my plow welded on by my mechanic he 'adjusted' the clutch for me thinking he knew what and how but I think all he did was tighten the cable more and put more force on the fingers onto the throw out bearing all the time. Eventually it bent the fingers.

So update on my issue. I got the new centre tonight, I put it on the throw out bearing (pressed a new one in) and put it together enough to test things out. I adjusted the cable so I can hear the surface of the centre touch the fingers but the peddle still moves about 1/2 an inch to do this, it had to build up tension. If i tighten it up any more then I cannot hear the click it stays touching. Anyhow when I push on the clutch in gear and turn the crankshaft in the front with a wrench the tractor still moves, its not dis-engaging the clutch.

So, taking a closer look at things, the clutch arm sticking out of the transmission where the clutch cable connects looks modified. My thought is if the cable is mounted to low on the arm it will not move the arm enough to move the throwout bearing enough to dis-engage the clutch.

Here is a picture of the arm on the tranny. Notice there is TWO cables on it. The top one goes to the other side of the transmission and I think activates a interlock so you can only shift it when the clutch is pushed. The lower cable is the clutch cable. Notice it is connected to a bolt and its hard to see but the front surface of it looks welded or something. I'm wondering if the cable is supposed to be mounted higher up so it would have more of a swing.

Does anyone have a 988 that can compare what their arm looks like with the clutch cable attached?

Pasquali Tractor :: CIMG4555.jpg picture by mjenphil - Photobucket

Thanks all

~ Phil

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #28  
Phil,
I'm @ 14127...the heart of snow country because of lake effects...

I take it the manuals you have are the same as the ones available from the French site?

I took a look at one for a 988.30 (a lot more machine than a 997 in every respect) and it looks like the clutch adjustment tool registers from the bell housing in this sketch (not a photo) also.

You could try switching the cables to see if you get enough disengagement ...at least it would eliminate one more variable.

Joe

Hi Joe yes I am looking at the manual from that site and I also have a different one that has photos in it showing the process to change the clutch. My setup the flywheel sticks out a lot further than in the manual.

Yes the clutch adjustment tool rests on the engine flange, I think this is to allow spinning the flywheel while the tool is in place to check the finger height easier.

I cant just swap the cables because the second cable terminates on the engine and is in perfect height/alignment with the top of the level.

But the shaft through the top of the level that this second cable connects to has a second hole in it which the clutch cable could be connected onto, right now it has a cotter pin in it.

I agree I think Ill try this as at this point I have no other options other than to just tighten the cable up enough so it dis engages the engine but doing this I think will cause it to press the throw out bearing into the fingers all the time and cause the same failure I have already had.

~ Phil

Hi all, an update on my clutch issues. Tom at ItalianTractors.com has a 988.30 like mine and he checked and the clutch arm has two cables on it and they are in the same locations. When he tested the clutch it just barely dis-engages the engine with it fully depressed. He is thinking/wondering if the arms that push the throw out bearing into the pressure plate fingers are worn down or the carrier the throw out bearing is held in.

Any thoughts on that? Sound plausible?

Im thinking of trying to find a way to connect the cable to the top position on the arm so it gets more throw/movement which I think will solve my issue. Hoping to have time this weekend to attempt it.

~ Phil