Pasquali 988 Clutch issue

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #1  

mpilihp

Silver Member
Tractor
Pasquali 988
Looking for help with my Pasquali's clutch. Recently when shifting it would grind the gears, IE I have the clutch depressed, shift into neutral and then trying to go into the next gear it catches and grinds. So I tightened up the clutch cable at the clutch pedal end. Well it will be fine for a use or two but again it starts to catch when trying to shift.

Looking at it closer I see the one main clutch cable moves TWO levers. The cable from the clutch pedal goes to a lever on the left side of the transmission and then from that lever another cable goes around to the other side of the transmission and moves another lever. Im thinking that one lever moves a clutch for the SPEED Range selector IE LOW MEDIUM and FAST ranges and the other lever is actually the clutch for the gears, IE first reverse second and third.

So im thinking the cable between the two levers which actually goes to the second lever is the gear selecting lever and its that cable that needs to be tighten??

So, in short if there is anyone familiar with Pasqualis and knows the process to adjust the clutches Id appreciate your help.

Thanks

~ Phil

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue
OK I did some looking and the second cable appears to only go to an indent mechanism that when pulled by the second clutch cable allows to move the gear shift lever.

So im stumped why the clutch isnt fully activating, I tightend the cable up and again its not fully activating the release of the clutch. It could be the cable is stretching but I dont know. I dont want to keep tightening it and possible causing a larger issue.

Thanks

~ Phil

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #3  
I have a Pasquali also and noted they have an interesting clutch mechanism with the indent to keep it from jumping out of gear. How far does the pedal travel before you can feel it starting to engage into the pressure plate? Mine only movies a small amount before the resistance starts to increase.

Hi David right now with the pedal fully depressed it moves slightly when in gear so its not fully dis-engaging the clutch. I just tightened it up on Saturday and used it for several hours on Saturday and again an hour or so on Sunday. It was fully dis-engaging after I tightened the clutch on Saturday.

I replaced the cable with a piece of Stainless high strength cable. Its rating was high, I purchased the cable for my tower for tilting it over, I forget its rating but its high, its 1/8 thickness, looked like the same size as the original cable.

I at first thought it was stretching some so I wasn't keeping track of where the lever on the transmission was at rest but Im wondering if its being pulled more and more as I tighten it. My reason is the clutch safety switch broke, looks like its been pulled too far out, IE I tightened the cable too much. So Im fearing something inside is bending??

Any ideas??

Did some digging in the paperwork I got with the tractor and it talks about adjusting the clutch play via a access port on the side and says it needs 2mm play. Doesnt say much else such as do it with the clutch not depressed or with clutch pressed in?? DOnt know, does that sound familiar? Ill look for this access port tomorrow. Then I need to know how to reset the original cable adjustment as I think Ive over tightened it.

Thanks

~ Phil

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #6  
I am trying to remember, as it has been a few years since I worked on mine. I think that when I adjusted mine, I took out the battery and the battery box. That gave me access right to the top of the bellhousing. From there I was able to "wiggle" the fork forward and backwards. I adjusted it mostly by feel, but we were able to use our fingers and feel when the bearing was beginning to touch the pressure plate. We made sure it had some movement, perhaps that is the 2mm???? This movement would allow for the bearing to stop running when the clutch was not pushed it, preventing premature bearing failure.

Will continue thinking about it also....

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #7  
Did some digging in the paperwork I got with the tractor and it talks about adjusting the clutch play via a access port on the side and says it needs 2mm play. Doesnt say much else such as do it with the clutch not depressed or with clutch pressed in?? DOnt know, does that sound familiar? Ill look for this access port tomorrow. Then I need to know how to reset the original cable adjustment as I think Ive over tightened it.

Thanks

~ Phil

Also, as a side note....

We rebuilt essentially both rearends (front/back) and all of the components in them without a book and pretty much just went by feel and memory. So unfortunately I cannot consult my book and provide any extra help to you about the documentation you have. :(

OK thanks for your help, its very wierd, I just went and moved it around tonight and now its even worse, With the clutch all the way int it starts to move as soon as the engine is started. I always thought when a clutch went bad it would not engage and would just slip so the vehicle would not move.

Any ideas on what is wrong when the clutch wont disengage the engine?

~ Phil

/ Pasquali 988 Clutch issue #9  
Only other immediate thing that I can think of other than the cable stretching/moving or the fork bending deals with rust. Is it possible that there was water inside the bellhousing and the pilot shaft is a little rusty? This could possibly cause the clutch disk to get stuck and not "float" away from the flywheel correctly.

Hi Dave that is a possibility, I do store it outside under a tarp. Ive been reading other posts about clutch failures and it sounds like its possible I over tighten the clutch cable causing it to be partially pushed in all the time and that caused the fingers on the clutch plate to get bent? Or I saw another post that talked about a clutch not disengaging because the throwout bearing failed?

Im mechanically inclined but Ive never delted with a manual clutch before, so its all new to me. Its sounding like an expensive endevor thats for sure. Main problem is there isnt anyone handy that knows Pasqualis. I live in central Maine and I am not aware of anyone that works or has parts for them near by.

~ Phil