2360 long rear ens noise

/ 2360 long rear ens noise #1  

farmerson

Tractor
2360 long
got a 2360 long that has a bunch of noise in the rear end . mostly from the right side. we've got the pto out of it and there seems to be quite a bit of slack in all the gears but i see no evidence of a bad bearing or any to make that much noise. anybody got any ideas?

/ 2360 long rear ens noise #2  
Is the noise coming out of the transmission, or final drive area? What does the noise sound like? History of the tractor?

/ 2360 long rear ens noise
seems like it's coming from the right side but not as far out as the final drive area. the sound resembles a loose bearing or or bearing retainer, lots of slop in the differential , not ring and pinion but spiders and axle splines. not a lot in one place but accumulated slack in all these places. it may be in the rear area of the transmission. i thought maybe someone may know of a common failure so i wouldn't flounder around buying parts and wastin time.
thanks

/ 2360 long rear ens noise #4  
Their were some lubricating issues with the Hi-Low range planetary on the rear of the transmission with some early models. The spider pinions were not receiving enough oil to maintain a long life. The noise should change or stop from shifting from low to high, if this is an issue. A rather large nut holds the tran countershaft in place. If the nut comes loose, end play will develop in the countershaft. I would think the noise would be more in the tran. The nut is staked to hold it in place. If the tractor rear tires were spun alot, the siper pinion gears in the diff would run out of lubrication causing them to wear prematurely. These were main issues for these tractor over the years. The diff lock assy is on the right side of the rear pinion. See if pushing the pedal changes anything. Make sure the pedal is raising to disengage it.