Problems getting Deutz 8006 starter to engage

/ Problems getting Deutz 8006 starter to engage #1  

lotfotl

Tractor
Deutz 8006
To start my deutz 8006, you turn the key over and then wrestle with an eye bolt that looks like it's been welded to a threaded cable. This seems to engage the starter solenoid. Sometimes, it works, most often it does not. I can get it, but I have to spend 15 minutes messing around with it. Crossing the starter with a screwdriver gets her going really fast, so I know my problem is in that linkage, or perhaps a switch that is faulty?

My questions then are the following: How challenging of a repair is this for someone with very minimal repair skills? Is there an easy way to simply bypass this funky starting method and connect a different sort of set up to the starter from the tractor cab, not with a screwdriver, like a toggle switch or other type of button? It looks like the fuel tanks on these come off pretty easily, and might be needed if I were to fix this. Is that relatively simple?

Any tips or thoughts on how I should approach this would likely save me from electrocution, run-over, or any further blisters from proceeding as I have to this point.

Many thanks,
tim

/ Problems getting Deutz 8006 starter to engage #2  
I would do the simple thing find the break in the cable or linkage and/or adjust it correctly.
thats a good starting method when everything is working correctly