Buying Advice ford 861 powermaster

/ ford 861 powermaster #11  
I guess we need some clarification.

Are we talking about a finish mower???? Or a rotary cutter (bushhog)???

The 861's were good reliable tractors. And very easy to work on and rebuild.

But as with all of them old fords, it is best to stay away from the select-o-speed transmissions. TOO many horror stories

i specifically stated rough mower in my comments.. of which an 861 will pull a 6' mower. if finish.. yeah.. 7' is fine.

as for the SOS tranny.. that would be an 871 or 881 powershift gear model.. the 861 is a 5speed dual clutch straight/manual/standard gear model.

/ ford 861 powermaster #12  
PS.. there are a ton of good tractor possibilities out there.. perhaps a 4600/4610, 5600/5610

I'd feel ok with an 8' mower on any of those... etc. 10' on the 5xxx

soundguy

/ ford 861 powermaster
LD1 said:
I guess we need some clarification.

Are we talking about a finish mower???? Or a rotary cutter (bushhog)???

The 861's were good reliable tractors. And very easy to work on and rebuild.

But as with all of them old fords, it is best to stay away from the select-o-speed transmissions. TOO many horror stories

I would like to get a 6 or 7 foot flail mower....one I could use for both finish and brush mowing.

/ ford 861 powermaster
strum456 said:
My 860 runs my 7' woods finish mower just fine, but I agree that you should look for something bigger to mow that acerage that often. It would be different if you were doing it a few times a year.

You will have to consider your property too. If you are concerned about maneuverability and ruts, get a big front mount.

It would be mowing common area in my subdivision. Lots of ruts and small swales to maneuver around so your advice is spot on

/ ford 861 powermaster #15  
I would like to get a 6 or 7 foot flail mower....one I could use for both finish and brush mowing.

Flail mower? then double the cost of the mower and the times I told you about mowing. flail mowers are natures answer to finding the most expensive way to cut, using more hp per foot than most other cutters, and requiring more time and money in maintenance costs than most other mowers.

i woulod not be optimistic about a 7' flail on that machine.. and forget about 10 hours.. bump that to 15...

flail.. yucky.... :(

soundguy

/ ford 861 powermaster #16  
It would be mowing common area in my subdivision. Lots of ruts and small swales to maneuver around so your advice is spot on

ruts and swales? 5' mower sounds like.. or even a ganged finish mower with 2 decks that can v-fold at least..

soundguy

/ ford 861 powermaster
Soundguy said:
Flail mower? then double the cost of the mower and the times I told you about mowing. flail mowers are natures answer to finding the most expensive way to cut, using more hp per foot than most other cutters, and requiring more time and money in maintenance costs than most other mowers.

i woulod not be optimistic about a 7' flail on that machine.. and forget about 10 hours.. bump that to 15...

flail.. yucky.... :(

soundguy

Really? You have quite different opinion than others re flail mowers. Spent a couple hours reading various flail threads on here last night and couldn't find much negative about them

/ ford 861 powermaster #18  
My dad ran the poop out of an 800 for years loading round bales...
It is still an excellent "old iron" tractor but needs a fuel pump now...
Take soundguys advice...
He is the ford guru on site...

/ ford 861 powermaster #19  
i specifically stated rough mower in my comments.. of which an 861 will pull a 6' mower. if finish.. yeah.. 7' is fine.I know YOU did. But others have mentioned finish. And the OP never said one way of another.

as for the SOS tranny.. that would be an 871 or 881 powershift gear model.. the 861 is a 5speed dual clutch straight/manual/standard gear model.I know that too. But since he is recieving reccomendations about other tractors, and seems to not know a ton about old fords, it was just a general recomendation. Not really directed at an 861.

As to the flail. I have to side with soundguy on this one. If you are mowing every weeks, there isnt going to be a lot of saplings and debris. I would either use a good 7'-8' or so finish mower, which is going to be slow like a flail, but give the best looking cut,......

Or use a bushhog, and keep the blades sharp. It will leave a surprisingly good cut, and be the fastest by almost 2x's

/ ford 861 powermaster #20  
Really? You have quite different opinion than others re flail mowers. Spent a couple hours reading various flail threads on here last night and couldn't find much negative about them

Ask people who do alot of mowing what they think about flails. especially people that have to mow for a living / charge for mowing.

Ask Farmwithjunk. he runs a mowing business.

I do alot of ( non charge / personal ) mowing.

I have mowers from 40" on up to 15' I have rough and finish mowers.

I got -0- flail mowers.

to much upkeep, too much maintenance.. too slow.

a rough cut mower will beat a flail in speed any day, and cut heavier material. rough cut mower is cheaper to buy. knives don't fly off either.. don't take 2 hours to sharpen them.

finish mower will make a super nice cut like a finish flail.. and is still cheaper and faster and less maintenance.

just my opinion. you do whatever you want with your money and time. :)

25 ac on a 5-6' flail? better build a bed and toilet into that tractor as you may be mowing it on a permanent basis... maybee setup an in-flight refueling setup so you don't loose any time stopping to fill the tank, as you will need that time to MOW.

i reccomend a nice comfy chair, and ros with a topper / sunshade, a drink cooler holder, and a place to store some sandwiches. I also reccomend a good set of headlamps as you will be mowing in the dark alot trying to keep up with that much mowing on that machine and mower ;)

soundguy