Buying Advice ford 861 powermaster

/ ford 861 powermaster #31  
We've had one for 30+ years. Only replaced clutch 2 times that I know of. Awesome little tractors. Will outwork most it's size and do it economically. Will pull 3 bottom plow, run Massey 12 square baler, 6 ft bush hog, etc. I'm in process of doing major overhaul on tractor right now.

/ ford 861 powermaster #32  
Your 861 was part of the POWERMASTER SERIES between 1958 thru 1962

Theses tractors are strong and durable. The 861 produces 64 H.P. at the engine.

This is plenty of H.P. to do many things around a small farm. Also the 861 was first to have LIVE POWER and maintain it's 5 speed transmission.

The next model of the Powermaster series was the 871 with SELECT-O-SPEED not a very popular transmission.

With your 861 you will have no problem pulling a larger bush hog.

Good luck with it should you go ahead with the purchase.

sincerely

/ ford 861 powermaster #33  
As stated the 861 did not have the SELECT-O-SHIFT the 871 did.
And it has 64 H'P. at the engine w/ a 5 speed transmission.

/ ford 861 powermaster #34  
Your 861 was part of the POWERMASTER SERIES between 1958 thru 1962

This is plenty of H.P. to do many things around a small farm. Also the 861 was first to have LIVE POWER and maintain it's 5 speed transmission.

The next model of the Powermaster series was the 871 with SELECT-O-SPEED not a very popular transmission.

With your 861 you will have no problem pulling a larger bush hog.

Good luck with it should you go ahead with the purchase.

sincerely

The 861 actually has 48 engine hp and 41 pto. I have a '58 model. It will pull up to a 6ft bush hog. They are great tractors for a lot of tasks. They are really good with pto implements since they have live power. One pto implement they are not good with is a tiller. Even in 1st gear the ground speed is too fast to operate one properly. Another thing would be mowing 25 acres every week or two. The tractor could take it but the operator (or at least me) would get tired of this task quickly. When doing something like that I use my 75hp tractor with a 10' bush hog.

Last edited:
   / ford 861 powermaster #35  
Good machine. Best features of the series, the x6x is the good one. Five speed, live pto.

Gas or diesel?

Check out the dual clutch/ live pto deal, so it works as it should. Kinda spendy to replace that dual clutch, so you want to buy it working right. Pin the clutch lever in the high position, and you should be able to step clutch 1/2 way down to stop moving/ shift gears, all the way down to disengage the pto.

If in good shape, a real good aprox 45 hp tractor, will work long and hard for you.

--->Paul

/ ford 861 powermaster #36  
a bit toung in cheek.. but flails generally take more hp and are slow on a given cut, thana given rough cutter. to make up for speed, you need more hp, / larger mower. then you run ingo problems on them swales and ruts you mentioned.

a dual flail setup say.. 2 4' flails.. I have seen of a ford industrial tractor.. like a 3400 or 3500.. it ran slow, but did ok.. a 6' bush hog would have out cut it though... :)

soundguy

Depends if you are chopping cornstalks, or cutting grass I guess. :)

--->Paul

/ ford 861 powermaster #37  

sincerely

100% incorrect.

mor elike 48 hp.

a 192ci industrial 4 cyl mught get into the 60's with a planed propane head..

/ ford 861 powermaster #38  
Soundguy is correct about the H.P. I stand corrected.
I had the numbers 64 in reverse should read 46 H.P.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

/ ford 861 powermaster #40  
THIS IS COOCHY MAN READ YOUR POST. IM GONNA PUT A 6 FT TILLER AND GONNA SEE WHAT ITS MADE OF . GOING TO GO GET 861 AS SOON AS WEATHER PERMITS THANKS