Buying Advice ford 861 powermaster

/ ford 861 powermaster #1  

denmeck

Tractor
John Deere 1026r
Looking to buy an 861 powermaster. Any thoughts on reliability?

/ ford 861 powermaster #2  
They are great tractors. If used and maintained properly, you will be happy with an 861.

/ ford 861 powermaster
Thanks for the advice ..... a bit nervous about whether to buy a used tractor or new

/ ford 861 powermaster
Mowing 25+ acres every week or two

/ ford 861 powermaster #6  
Not to talk you out of a really good tractor, but front mount mowers are hard to beat for just mowing.

The 800 would run a 7 foot finish mower, no problem. However, it will be less maneuverable and make bigger ruts than a front mount machine.

/ ford 861 powermaster #7  
mowing 25 ac every week or two?

I hope you get an umbrella shade and seat cushion for that 861

they are awesome 48 hp tractors... but it will reasonable only drive a 6' brush mower... with a 6' mower.. you will be mowing easlly 10hrs at a pop... If I was you.. I think I might go for a bigger tractor.. one that pulled an 8' twin spindle mower, or even a 10' mower. I'd avoid the 7' single spindle jobs... too heavy and long. twin spindle are lighter and easier to manage. something like a ford 5000 will run a 10' mower well ( 70 hp tractor ) however a 3010S will run an 8' easilly both good machines.

think about it.

if I was buying a 01 series tractor for serious work.. an 861 would be at the top of the list... especially if it had power steering.. :)

soundguy

/ ford 861 powermaster
Thanks for the advice soundguy...ur a legend on this site.
I will check the 5000.

/ ford 861 powermaster #9  
My 860 runs my 7' woods finish mower just fine, but I agree that you should look for something bigger to mow that acerage that often. It would be different if you were doing it a few times a year.

You will have to consider your property too. If you are concerned about maneuverability and ruts, get a big front mount.

/ ford 861 powermaster #10  
I guess we need some clarification.

Are we talking about a finish mower???? Or a rotary cutter (bushhog)???

The 861's were good reliable tractors. And very easy to work on and rebuild.

But as with all of them old fords, it is best to stay away from the select-o-speed transmissions. TOO many horror stories