Belarus diesel wont shut off

/ Belarus diesel wont shut off #1  

novaman68

Tractor
John Deere 440, Allis Chalmers WD45, Massey Ferguson 65
I just bought a Belarus 420AN that the previous owner decided to sell for scrap iron. Long story short, I have $650 in it & it runs great...but half of the electrical doesn't work & the other half is missing. I can start it, but I can't get it to shut off. I can idle it way, way down & it will slow down (2-300rpm I'D guess) but it just won't die. I've heard using the compression release is hard on stuff, and I know shutting the fuel off at the tank is not good either. I read something about a "stop solenoid", but I don't know what it looks like to even look for it. There are no wires going to the injection pump that I see...(I'd assume the stop solenoid would be close to the pump) I'm lost and haven't found much information on these tractors at all. Any help, web sites, info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-20110530-00027.jpg
    IMG-20110530-00027.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 255
   / Belarus diesel wont shut off #2  
Sounds like your fuel linkage might need to be adjusted. Mine has both a foot and handle throttle connected together, going out to the pump. If for some reason the linkage doesn't let the pump shut completely off, it will stay running. Another thing you should check first is the adjustable stop bolt for the pump lever. ( out on the pump ) It maybe out too far, stopping the lever from completely shutting of the fuel. Hope this helps, let us know. :thumbsup:

/ Belarus diesel wont shut off #3  
The 2 wires are probably going to the fuel shut off selnoid, it should be closed with no power and when you turn the hey on it should open. it is problem stuck so it won't close . try taking it out and cleaning and lubricating it. then before reinstalling it check with a meter to see which wire is groung . hook negative to that one and 12volt to the other to see if it opens and closes.

/ Belarus diesel wont shut off
Thanks, I looked at the linkage arm and it doesn't return all the way...I'm going to fire it up in the morning and see if I can adjust the linkage.
Any ideas on where to find a part number for an engine oil filter? The only filters I've been able to find have been the secondary fuel filter, but no primary, no hydraulic filter, no engine oil filter.

The 2 wires are probably going to the fuel shut off selnoid, it should be closed with no power and when you turn the hey on it should open. it is problem stuck so it won't close . try taking it out and cleaning and lubricating it. then before reinstalling it check with a meter to see which wire is groung . hook negative to that one and 12volt to the other to see if it opens and closes.

What 2 wires? I don't see any wires within 2 feet of the fuel pump. That's what I was originally asking, I'd heard there was a stop solenoid, but I don't know what it looks like or if my model even has one for sure.

Here is a pic of my fuel pump. As you can see, there aren't any wires or any lugs, connectors that look like they ever had wires going to them. Any idea what the arrow is pointing at? I'm kinda guessing that it's a bleeder valve to get air out of the fuel system

Attachments

• IMG-20120308-00062.jpg
    IMG-20120308-00062.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 832
   / Belarus diesel wont shut off #6  
That's the primer, used to push fuel through to the injectors. You have a tough old girl there.

Ok, I read something about a primer.....I can unscrew the cap looking thing a few turns before it stops, but I tried pumping down, pulling up on that cap & it won't move. What am I doing wrong? Or is something stuck? I didn't know if that whole assembly moves (the 2.5" barrel looking thing with the cap on top) it looked like it could possibly pivot downward in an arcing motion...or if maybe just the cap pumped up/down. I appreciate all the replies & advice, as I can't seem to find a decent manual or much tech info on these machines.

/ Belarus diesel wont shut off #8  
Thanks, I looked at the linkage arm and it doesn't return all the way...I'm going to fire it up in the morning and see if I can adjust the linkage.
Any ideas on where to find a part number for an engine oil filter? The only filters I've been able to find have been the secondary fuel filter, but no primary, no hydraulic filter, no engine oil filter.

There are no oil filters, you take the centrifugal oil separator apart and wash it out with diesel and reassemble! Neat eh.:cool: Also, do the same with one of the fuel filters, and hydraulic filter. I have also added the fuel bleeding procedure although my tractor may be a little different then yours. Might find it easier if you save and print off! Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Filters.jpg
    Filters.jpg
    795.8 KB · Views: 580
  • Filters 001.jpg
    Filters 001.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 439
  • Filters 002.jpg
    Filters 002.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 326
  • Filters 003.jpg
    Filters 003.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 311
  • Filters 004.jpg
    Filters 004.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Awesome, thanks...That is neat about the centrifugal oil filter, and that's less parts to buy. Now just have to wait on the sun to come up so I can get outside & work on it. Haha

/ Belarus diesel wont shut off #10  
Nice score!
I recommend changing the fuel pump oil first - the governor may act up if the oil is low or too diluted with fuel.

There is no shutoff solenoid. On my 250 the throttle lever just gets pulled back further to shut it off.

You can remove the primer and take it apart, clean it and replace the o-rings pretty easily. It's rarely needed and that's why it gets stuck.

Attachments

• Belarus Injector Pump Oil 002.jpg
    Belarus Injector Pump Oil 002.jpg
    846.6 KB · Views: 853