Buying Advice Allis Chalmers D-15 Series II: Need help with pricing

/ Allis Chalmers D-15 Series II: Need help with pricing #1  

Big Wave D

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L35, Kubota B6200E
I inherited this old A/c from my Grandfather. It ran when parked, but that has been close to likely 10 years ago.

I have a neighbor who stopped and asked if I was interested in selling it. He is interested in it for a restoration project. Frankly, it was something I have been wanting to do, but have no idea of when that might, if ever, happen. So, I was happy that someone wanted it for that purpose. I have had scrap dealers stop, I have also had people wanting to just buy it to part out also stop. Neither of these is acceptable to me.

The sheet metal is still quite straight and in good shape. It has quite a bit of paint, highly faded, but still on it's metal. I know that this will all be redone, but it has been what has kept it in better shape for being outside and in the elements.

The loader is a Kelley with one way hydraulics and trip bucket.

The tractor has a split range/torque converter, so it has a live PTO when using the hand clutch.

It has power steering.

The exhaust has been covered the whole time, so no water has been getting into the engine. I would have to take the plugs out and spray some ATF into the cylinders before trying to turn over by hand to determine whether the motor is frozen or not.

I am sure there are some of you who can tell me far more than I know about the tractor.

Please ask any questions that one would need to know to have the complete 'picture' for accurate pricing.

So, in its present condition, what's a fair price for the old girl?

Thanks for any and all help.

Attachments

• Loader.png
    Loader.png
    634.1 KB · Views: 410
  • Left Side.png
    Left Side.png
    661.3 KB · Views: 823
  • Right Side.png
    Right Side.png
    592.5 KB · Views: 916
  • Rear.png
    Rear.png
    647.6 KB · Views: 496
  • Operator's Station.png
    Operator's Station.png
    650.9 KB · Views: 561
   / Allis Chalmers D-15 Series II: Need help with pricing #2  
I inherited this old A/c from my Grandfather. It ran when parked, but that has been close to likely 10 years ago.

I have a neighbor who stopped and asked if I was interested in selling it. He is interested in it for a restoration project. Frankly, it was something I have been wanting to do, but have no idea of when that might, if ever, happen. So, I was happy that someone wanted it for that purpose. I have had scrap dealers stop, I have also had people wanting to just buy it to part out also stop. Neither of these is acceptable to me.

The sheet metal is still quite straight and in good shape. It has quite a bit of paint, highly faded, but still on it's metal. I know that this will all be redone, but it has been what has kept it in better shape for being outside and in the elements.

The loader is a Kelley with one way hydraulics and trip bucket.

The tractor has a split range/torque converter, so it has a live PTO when using the hand clutch.

It has power steering.

The exhaust has been covered the whole time, so no water has been getting into the engine. I would have to take the plugs out and spray some ATF into the cylinders before trying to turn over by hand to determine whether the motor is frozen or not.

I am sure there are some of you who can tell me far more than I know about the tractor.

Please ask any questions that one would need to know to have the complete 'picture' for accurate pricing.

So, in its present condition, what's a fair price for the old girl?

Thanks for any and all help.

Given the photos and information given, it's worth about $0.12 per pound. No, I'm not kidding. If somebody wants to buy it to restore, and that is a use that you desire, give him a good deal. He will have several thousand dolars more invested in the restoration than it will ever be worth.

/ Allis Chalmers D-15 Series II: Need help with pricing
If that is the case, what do you suppose it weighs?

TractorData listed it from 4500 to almost 8000 pounds. I assumed the latter weight weight was for all 4 tires being filled. I did find that the loader is just under one thousand pounds itself.

We have access to scale, so it can be weighed for an accurate sale price.

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

/ Allis Chalmers D-15 Series II: Need help with pricing #6  
TractorData listed it from 4500 to almost 8000 pounds. I assumed the latter weight weight was for all 4 tires being filled. I did find that the loader is just under one thousand pounds itself.

We have access to scale, so it can be weighed for an accurate sale price.

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

My info came from the Nebraska Tractor test #837. That would not include the loader. I'll predict you end up near 5200lb.

/ Allis Chalmers D-15 Series II: Need help with pricing #7  
I certainly understand your position and agree, if it were mine I'd rather see it restored than parted or scrapped. However, if you think there is any way you may ever want to restore it for yourself, keep it....$600 will never replace your Grandfather's tractor if you hold it dear. I searched and searched for my Grandfather's AC Model C and never could run it down. Don't care a hoot about any other one except his original. You just can't replace that, it was the only tractor he ever owned and we enjoyed together. That's not everyones story, just saying once it's gone it may be gone for good.

/ Allis Chalmers D-15 Series II: Need help with pricing #8  
I certainly understand your position and agree, if it were mine I'd rather see it restored than parted or scrapped. However, if you think there is any way you may ever want to restore it for yourself, keep it....$600 will never replace your Grandfather's tractor if you hold it dear. I searched and searched for my Grandfather's AC Model C and never could run it down. Don't care a hoot about any other one except his original. You just can't replace that, it was the only tractor he ever owned and we enjoyed together. That's not everyones story, just saying once it's gone it may be gone for good.

That certainly can be a consideration. I sold a late 3020 Diesel that I wish I still owned. I know right where it is, but I won't live long enough to buy it back.

In my heart, I do not want to sell it. As you have both stated, I am sure that I will regret it at some point down the road.

I have thought about asking about for first right of refusal, should he ever want to sell it.

If I can't get $1,000 or better. I may not sell at all.

Thanks for your input and advice.

/ Allis Chalmers D-15 Series II: Need help with pricing #10  
I have a couple of ACs and they are good tractors. I would at least get it running. I have a D-14 and a D-17 Series IV. I am sure that D-15 is a fine tractor also.

I use my D-17 to farm with. I also have a New Holland 1620 to assist and have a loader, rear snowblower, and a 72" lawnmower for it. It gets used a lot. I keep my D-14, with 3 bottom plow and scraper blade at my son' s, which he uses to keep his driveway clean and what ever else he might need it for, and I go get it when ever I have a need for it.