New Belarus 250AS owner needs help!

/ New Belarus 250AS owner needs help! #1  

John Wiegerink

Tractor
Belarus 250as
My son was given a Belarus 250as from his father-in-law and now it's in my care. It needed a new clutch and we split it an put a new clutch in. Not a bad job and I could do it in about an hour or a little more now that I know what I'm doing. I have all the parts manuals, but need an owner's manual. I checked eBay, but they only had two and the dealer wanted $78.00, which I feel is a bit much. Does anybody here know where there is a download or a copy of the manual at a little cheaper price or better yet, FREE? Also, what type of front loader/bucket will fit the 250as? I really like this tractor! It's a little unpolished and basic, but sure looks like it could get the job done. JohnW :rolleyes:

/ New Belarus 250AS owner needs help! #2  
I believe the Bush Hog 3340 loader is made for the 250 AS. Don't try to buy one new - you can buy a whole tractor with one already mounted about as cheaply as a new loader. I bought my 250 new in 1989, and it's a work horse. Lots of power for its class, but handles like a battleship. 23 years ago, I thought power steering for was weaklings. In my 60's, I wish I had paid the other $700 for it! The partes I've had to upgrade over the years is a Delco 1-wire alternator when the factory one gave out, the high torque, gear drive starter around a year ago, and an electric booster fuel pump ($25 off ebay). The price of original replacements on all these parts was just out of my reach, and the tractor starts, runs, and pulls like the day it was new.

Replace the fuel filters at least every 100 hours.

/ New Belarus 250AS owner needs help!
Thanks for the reply. Mine also takes all my power to steer. I guess these were made for Olga to work the farm with after she had a healthy cabbage and bacon breakfast. I also think the tractor is pretty basic, but actually built very heavy in some areas. I guess it's a basic work horse and does seem pretty powerful to boot. The solenoid needs replacing on mine, but it still kicks in ever so often so I won't replace it until it dies totally. I'll keep my eyes open for the Bush Hog 3340 now that I know what to look for. Thanks again, John.

/ New Belarus 250AS owner needs help! #4  
I had a Belarus for years. Getting parts for them is a *****-- unfortunately the Belarus American HQ is usually the best (and only) option. There was a place that was sort of local that had some of the parts, but they were usually more than the dealer anyway.

/ New Belarus 250AS owner needs help! #5  
Greetings, Im new to Belarus and our boys camp in Mississippi was recently given a 250AS. From the records provided its been well maintained and it looks pretty good. First thing I did was hook up to a box blade and try to drag our access road. So far Im dissappointed. It will not pull the hat off your head, probably due to operator error. I have seen a few posts about injector pump problems and clogged fuel lines but I doubt those are the problem because it was so well maintained. If I dont have the lever set at more than 1/2 throttle the engine dies out. The engine decompression is engaged when the rod is pushed in or pulled out?? The shift pattern is a whole other story. I understand the FORWARD / REVERSE, but how to select high or low range in forward gears has me confused. The operators manual didnt help much. Anyone have a simple explaination?

/ New Belarus 250AS owner needs help! #6  
The solenoid needs replacing on mine, but it still kicks in ever so often so I won't replace it until it dies totally.
I had a problem with the solenoid on mine--starter wouldn't turn over very well, 1/2 the time not fast enough to start the engine. This is a total shot in the dark, in terms of what your problem is, but mine was that the contacts in the solenoid weren't touching really well, i.e. lots of resistance, heat, and dead batteries. The main symptom was the bendix would kick in and you could hear the slide/click, but the starter wouldn't do anything.

So, I keep a wooden drumstick on the floor board. Wedge the drumstick under the metal strap btw the solenoid and starter and it puts pressure on both bolts = better contact. Mine turns over at about double the speed with the drumstick... You only need it there while you're starting, so I take it out right after so I don't lose it. (And also b/c I bypassed the starter switch and have to start it standing next to the tractor, but that's another story...:thumbsup:)

/ New Belarus 250AS owner needs help! #7  
Greetings, Im new to Belarus and our boys camp in Mississippi was recently given a 250AS. From the records provided its been well maintained and it looks pretty good. First thing I did was hook up to a box blade and try to drag our access road. So far Im dissappointed. It will not pull the hat off your head, probably due to operator error. I have seen a few posts about injector pump problems and clogged fuel lines but I doubt those are the problem because it was so well maintained. If I dont have the lever set at more than 1/2 throttle the engine dies out. The engine decompression is engaged when the rod is pushed in or pulled out?? The shift pattern is a whole other story. I understand the FORWARD / REVERSE, but how to select high or low range in forward gears has me confused. The operators manual didnt help much. Anyone have a simple explaination?

The position of the throttle lever is adjustable and one of the worst control features is that you shut off the engine by throttle position vs. a separate shutoff pull. In other words it is normal for the engine to shut off when you push the lever forward and don't be afraid to give it plenty of throttle if it seems to be lacking power. You might also have to tighten the friction pivot on the throttle lever to get it to hold the position you want.

Decompression is pulled to engage so to start you push the button on the power switch, give it plenty of throttle, PULL the decompression rod, turn the key to spin up the engine, then PUSH the decompression rod and it should fire right up.

To change to high or low range, take the shift lever out of gear and push it firmly into the "high" or "low" notch position, then put the lever back into the gear position you want. The SL1 and SL2 gears bypass the forward/reverse shuttle so the tractor will go forward in those gears regardless of the position of the fwd/rev lever.

/ New Belarus 250AS owner needs help! #8  
It's been quite a few years since I checked, but just the solenoid is pretty pricey. About a year ago, I went to the gear drive starter-about $160 off ebay- and that solved ALL the starting problems. They were over $300 when I had my starter rebuilt many years ago, but even after the rebuild, it was still slow spinning. If you search seller Caltric, they have a fair price and good shipping for the new and improved starter. I don't have to use the compression release any more.

/ New Belarus 250AS owner needs help! #9  
Hello my name is Nathan and i work for a company called partsforbelarus.com and we have quite a few parts for the 250AS tractor along with several other models also we also have manuals for tractors too.

/ New Belarus 250AS owner needs help! #10  
My son was given a Belarus 250as from his father-in-law and now it's in my care. It needed a new clutch and we split it an put a new clutch in. Not a bad job and I could do it in about an hour or a little more now that I know what I'm doing. I have all the parts manuals, but need an owner's manual. I checked eBay, but they only had two and the dealer wanted $78.00, which I feel is a bit much. Does anybody here know where there is a download or a copy of the manual at a little cheaper price or better yet, FREE? Also, what type of front loader/bucket will fit the 250as? I really like this tractor! It's a little unpolished and basic, but sure looks like it could get the job done. JohnW :rolleyes:

could you tell me about your clutch replacement i have to replace mine thanx warren