Buying Advice another 2 buy or not 2 buy

/ another 2 buy or not 2 buy #1  

4man

Tractor
Farmtrac DTC360 w/FEL
please share some advice , it's getting close to the time that I need to make a decision about which tractor will be my first ever tractor. My needs are few as only own 2 acres and need to pull up some Yaupons and do some grading and minor landscaping, the real work and reason for buying a tractor is the deer lease, need a FEL and good shredder, fel to push and knock down brairs and vines and shredder to mow and make trails. I've been looking at the 4wd 25-35 hp CUT's and have almost decided that I just can not justify the expense , so I'm looking at slightly bigger(still fit a 16 ft trailer) 2wd with FEL the tractor in question now is a 1988 UTB/Universal 350 800hrs w/fel and shredder for $6500 looks a little ruff and has a small fuel leak at the pump and one of the cylinders on the fel has a small leak. The man selling states that both are minor repairs and wouldn't cost much and if mechanical I could do myself. Since I've never owned or operated a tractor I'm asking for your advice on this purchase as I'm told that these tractors are no longer made and the company is no longer , I just don't know so I depend on your experience and knowledge. Thanks in advance for any and all comments positive and or negative.

/ another 2 buy or not 2 buy #2  
The UTB/Universal/Long tractors are solid. Any older units are bound to have leaks here and there. They can be dried up. You can still get most parts online.
I think $6500 is a little on the steep side for a 32hp 2wd tractor that needs some minor work.

/ another 2 buy or not 2 buy #3  
please share some advice , it's getting close to the time that I need to make a decision about which tractor will be my first ever tractor. My needs are few as only own 2 acres and need to pull up some Yaupons and do some grading and minor landscaping, the real work and reason for buying a tractor is the deer lease, need a FEL and good shredder, fel to push and knock down brairs and vines and shredder to mow and make trails. I've been looking at the 4wd 25-35 hp CUT's and have almost decided that I just can not justify the expense , so I'm looking at slightly bigger(still fit a 16 ft trailer) 2wd with FEL the tractor in question now is a 1988 UTB/Universal 350 800hrs w/fel and shredder for $6500 looks a little ruff and has a small fuel leak at the pump and one of the cylinders on the fel has a small leak. The man selling states that both are minor repairs and wouldn't cost much and if mechanical I could do myself. Since I've never owned or operated a tractor I'm asking for your advice on this purchase as I'm told that these tractors are no longer made and the company is no longer , I just don't know so I depend on your experience and knowledge. Thanks in advance for any and all comments positive and or negative.

If the repairs are so easy and inexpensive to fix he would have done them.

/ another 2 buy or not 2 buy #4  
Universal is in the bottom drawer with belarus etc ....find something else :)

/ another 2 buy or not 2 buy
Well there's nothing wrong with the above comments one person feels the Universal is a solid tractor someone else feels their the bottom drawer. I am not looking to buy the best because I may decide after some experience I'd rather pay somebody as I have been for the past 10 years but if I had the money back I could better afford to buy a better tractor today.I only need a tractor with a fel and shredder to work on deer lease and heavy or strong enough to grade some drainage ditches and move some trucked in fresh dirt., at 62 and having never owned or operated a tractor I feel the satisfaction of doing the job myself will be more rewarding than paying someone else,so I can only justify between $5000-7500 for the experience may have it for sell in 6 months to get out or to move up. Thanks for all comments , I still am trying to make a decision 2 buy or not 2 buy

/ another 2 buy or not 2 buy #6  
You say that fel work, shreddingand grading is the only thing you will use it for. Once you own one, you won't be able to live without it and wonder how you ever did. Buying a tractor that needs repairs now is endless and will probaly cost you more in the long run. Get a new one or one in good condition, you won't be sorry. Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck in your decision.

/ another 2 buy or not 2 buy #7  
Well there's nothing wrong with the above comments one person feels the Universal is a solid tractor someone else feels their the bottom drawer. I am not looking to buy the best because I may decide after some experience I'd rather pay somebody as I have been for the past 10 years but if I had the money back I could better afford to buy a better tractor today.I only need a tractor with a fel and shredder to work on deer lease and heavy or strong enough to grade some drainage ditches and move some trucked in fresh dirt., at 62 and having never owned or operated a tractor I feel the satisfaction of doing the job myself will be more rewarding than paying someone else,so I can only justify between $5000-7500 for the experience may have it for sell in 6 months to get out or to move up. Thanks for all comments , I still am trying to make a decision 2 buy or not 2 buy

Absoluteley and i agree but for $7500 there are far better "real tractors" out there like MF 265 ford 5600's JD 2130's with decent cabs on them , You wont find any universals with 10'000 hrs on them .. i'd be more comfortable with a fordson major or MF 35-165 etc than a universal of far less years . Maintaining these "others" is not for the faint hearted .

/ another 2 buy or not 2 buy
I must've written something wrong as I do nor need or want a big cab type tractor,something small enough to fit the trailer I already have a 16ft lowboy, with the loader and shredder attached.

/ another 2 buy or not 2 buy #9  
You say that fel work, shreddingand grading is the only thing you will use it for. Once you own one, you won't be able to live without it and wonder how you ever did. Buying a tractor that needs repairs now is endless and will probaly cost you more in the long run. Get a new one or one in good condition, you won't be sorry. Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck in your decision.

My :2cents: too .