Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    30
    Location
    Magnolia Texas
    Tractor
    Farmtrac DTC360 w/FEL

    Default another 2 buy or not 2 buy

    please share some advice , it's getting close to the time that I need to make a decision about which tractor will be my first ever tractor. My needs are few as only own 2 acres and need to pull up some Yaupons and do some grading and minor landscaping, the real work and reason for buying a tractor is the deer lease, need a FEL and good shredder, fel to push and knock down brairs and vines and shredder to mow and make trails. I've been looking at the 4wd 25-35 hp CUT's and have almost decided that I just can not justify the expense , so I'm looking at slightly bigger(still fit a 16 ft trailer) 2wd with FEL the tractor in question now is a 1988 UTB/Universal 350 800hrs w/fel and shredder for $6500 looks a little ruff and has a small fuel leak at the pump and one of the cylinders on the fel has a small leak. The man selling states that both are minor repairs and wouldn't cost much and if mechanical I could do myself. Since I've never owned or operated a tractor I'm asking for your advice on this purchase as I'm told that these tractors are no longer made and the company is no longer , I just don't know so I depend on your experience and knowledge. Thanks in advance for any and all comments positive and or negative.

  2. #2
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    91
    Location
    Maine
    Tractor
    LS U5030

    Default Re: another 2 buy or not 2 buy

    The UTB/Universal/Long tractors are solid. Any older units are bound to have leaks here and there. They can be dried up. You can still get most parts online.
    I think $6500 is a little on the steep side for a 32hp 2wd tractor that needs some minor work.

  3. #3
    Super Star Member murphy1244's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    17,239
    Location
    Ohio
    Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

    Default Re: another 2 buy or not 2 buy

    Quote Originally Posted by 4man View Post
    please share some advice , it's getting close to the time that I need to make a decision about which tractor will be my first ever tractor. My needs are few as only own 2 acres and need to pull up some Yaupons and do some grading and minor landscaping, the real work and reason for buying a tractor is the deer lease, need a FEL and good shredder, fel to push and knock down brairs and vines and shredder to mow and make trails. I've been looking at the 4wd 25-35 hp CUT's and have almost decided that I just can not justify the expense , so I'm looking at slightly bigger(still fit a 16 ft trailer) 2wd with FEL the tractor in question now is a 1988 UTB/Universal 350 800hrs w/fel and shredder for $6500 looks a little ruff and has a small fuel leak at the pump and one of the cylinders on the fel has a small leak. The man selling states that both are minor repairs and wouldn't cost much and if mechanical I could do myself. Since I've never owned or operated a tractor I'm asking for your advice on this purchase as I'm told that these tractors are no longer made and the company is no longer , I just don't know so I depend on your experience and knowledge. Thanks in advance for any and all comments positive and or negative.
    If the repairs are so easy and inexpensive to fix he would have done them.
    Murph ------------

  4. #4
    Veteran Member D7E's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,156
    Location
    manitoba
    Tractor
    Many

    Default Re: another 2 buy or not 2 buy

    Universal is in the bottom drawer with belarus etc ....find something else

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    30
    Location
    Magnolia Texas
    Tractor
    Farmtrac DTC360 w/FEL

    Default Re: another 2 buy or not 2 buy

    Well there's nothing wrong with the above comments one person feels the Universal is a solid tractor someone else feels their the bottom drawer. I am not looking to buy the best because I may decide after some experience I'd rather pay somebody as I have been for the past 10 years but if I had the money back I could better afford to buy a better tractor today.I only need a tractor with a fel and shredder to work on deer lease and heavy or strong enough to grade some drainage ditches and move some trucked in fresh dirt., at 62 and having never owned or operated a tractor I feel the satisfaction of doing the job myself will be more rewarding than paying someone else,so I can only justify between $5000-7500 for the experience may have it for sell in 6 months to get out or to move up. Thanks for all comments , I still am trying to make a decision 2 buy or not 2 buy

  6. #6
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    89
    Location
    Newport ME
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 2660 Kubota MX 5100

    Default Re: another 2 buy or not 2 buy

    You say that fel work, shreddingand grading is the only thing you will use it for. Once you own one, you won't be able to live without it and wonder how you ever did. Buying a tractor that needs repairs now is endless and will probaly cost you more in the long run. Get a new one or one in good condition, you won't be sorry. Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck in your decision.
    SARCASM: Just another service I have to offer!

  7. #7
    Veteran Member D7E's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,156
    Location
    manitoba
    Tractor
    Many

    Default Re: another 2 buy or not 2 buy

    Quote Originally Posted by 4man View Post
    Well there's nothing wrong with the above comments one person feels the Universal is a solid tractor someone else feels their the bottom drawer. I am not looking to buy the best because I may decide after some experience I'd rather pay somebody as I have been for the past 10 years but if I had the money back I could better afford to buy a better tractor today.I only need a tractor with a fel and shredder to work on deer lease and heavy or strong enough to grade some drainage ditches and move some trucked in fresh dirt., at 62 and having never owned or operated a tractor I feel the satisfaction of doing the job myself will be more rewarding than paying someone else,so I can only justify between $5000-7500 for the experience may have it for sell in 6 months to get out or to move up. Thanks for all comments , I still am trying to make a decision 2 buy or not 2 buy
    Absoluteley and i agree but for $7500 there are far better "real tractors" out there like MF 265 ford 5600's JD 2130's with decent cabs on them , You wont find any universals with 10'000 hrs on them .. i'd be more comfortable with a fordson major or MF 35-165 etc than a universal of far less years . Maintaining these "others" is not for the faint hearted .

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    30
    Location
    Magnolia Texas
    Tractor
    Farmtrac DTC360 w/FEL

    Default Re: another 2 buy or not 2 buy

    I must've written something wrong as I do nor need or want a big cab type tractor,something small enough to fit the trailer I already have a 16ft lowboy, with the loader and shredder attached.

  9. #9
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16,854
    Location
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

    Default Re: another 2 buy or not 2 buy

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPete View Post
    You say that fel work, shreddingand grading is the only thing you will use it for. Once you own one, you won't be able to live without it and wonder how you ever did. Buying a tractor that needs repairs now is endless and will probaly cost you more in the long run. Get a new one or one in good condition, you won't be sorry. Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck in your decision.
    My too .
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Similar Threads

  1. Dong Feng DF-354.....to buy or not to buy?
    By mpaschetto in forum Chinese Tractors
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-15-2013, 07:59 PM
  2. B7100 HST price - buy or no buy?
    By ishiboo in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 10:03 PM
  3. Price Check 1978 Ford 555???? To Buy or Not to Buy
    By wrx2hrd in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 04:20 PM
  4. Snow Attachments 3 PTH Rear blade:Looking to buy one for pushing snow. What to Buy and Stay Away From
    By Jody Marchand in forum Snow Removal
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 08:07 PM
  5. To buy or not to buy NI 215 manure spreader
    By canoetrpr in forum Attachments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.