Ransome 728 D mower????

/ Ransome 728 D mower???? #1  

flyweed

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT2544 & LX1050
Hey guys, got a quick question for you. I have had a motorycle (2005 yamaha vstar 650) for sale for a few months on CL for $3900...just had a guy email me about a possible trade. He has a Ransom 728 D mower that has a 72 inch hydraulic powered cutting deck with hydro lift as well, and then also a 48 inch snow blower attachment that runs on the hydro as well, with a power chute that is all operated for inside the enclosed cab. It does have some rust spots on the hood of the engine from having a "salt" attachment at one point.

Otherwise the thing is 4 wheel drive, and has a 3 cylinder Perkins Diesel engine. Headlights, heated cab, radio, window wiper etc all work.

I have NEVER seen one of these before let alone know if it would be a good trade for my bike.

Anyway here are some photos..let me know what you think and if you think I should make a trade..and if I wanted to this spring, what I might be able to resell the thing for if I want to get another bike!! LOL

ranseom.jpgransome2.jpgransome3.jpgransome4.jpg

/ Ransome 728 D mower???? #3  
Well, I can't really comment as to whether the trade is worth it. I did find one 728D (1999, gas, 2wd, 72", no cab) on fastline.com that listed for around $3k so the price might not be too bad. The biggest issue I see with this is that parts and support could be hard to come by as they are no longer made. Textron has been the parent of Ransomes for some time, and has dropped the brand from at least the US market. Jacobsen is all that's left. Not sure of the TurfCat 600 is an updated 728 or not. I used to get parts for my Ransomes 3-wheeler from J. Thomas, but they stopped supporting it, hence my decision 5 years ago to replace it. You might check with your local Jacobsen dealer.

I'm a little confused about the hydraulically driven mower deck as I'm pretty sure they should be pto shaft driven.

I see where you say you've had the V-Star for sale for a while, but I gotta ask, if you get a 72" mower, what are you going to do with all the spare time if you don't go riding?

/ Ransome 728 D mower????
Lol....very true! I did contact my local Jacobsen dealer and they can still get parts for it and have all the manuals as well. They call it a Frontline 728D 4WD EC. For what it's worth

Dan