long 445

/ long 445 #1  

marvinbingham

Tractor
long 445 with FEL
Please help, I bought a long 445 with FEL for $3000. I do not know how to change the 6 speed transmission from high to low. Also did I pay too much. Thanks

/ long 445 #2  
I have a Universal 445 that was imported before they started rebadging them as Longs. Should be the same. Your shift lever will go back and forth between the two ranges if you place it in the middle between 1 and 3rd gear and then pull it back towards the operator. If you wipe of the top of transmission you should see a diagram of the gear arrangement. Also remember the clutch is a two stage. Mash half way down to change gears and all the way down to control the PTO.

Can't speak for the price. I know we have had this one for nearly 38 years and I use it regularly. It has been one tough good tractor. It was purchased new by my father in about 1973 and has been used since then. It is my favorite tractor to bushhog with. Looks ruff and has some battle scars but then again if you bend a fender you don't have to worry.

/ long 445
I have a Universal 445 that was imported before they started rebadging them as Longs. Should be the same. Your shift lever will go back and forth between the two ranges if you place it in the middle between 1 and 3rd gear and then pull it back towards the operator. If you wipe of the top of transmission you should see a diagram of the gear arrangement. Also remember the clutch is a two stage. Mash half way down to change gears and all the way down to control the PTO.

Can't speak for the price. I know we have had this one for nearly 38 years and I use it regularly. It has been one tough good tractor. It was purchased new by my father in about 1973 and has been used since then. It is my favorite tractor to bushhog with. Looks ruff and has some battle scars but then again if you bend a fender you don't have to worry.

Thank you for your help, I wiped off the top of the transmission and saw the gear pattern. For some reason I can only seam to get one set of gears(one reverse and three forward), I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not. any suggestions? Other than that I am loving this old tractor. I would love to find a left rear fender but I have not had any luck with that. Thanks again, Marviin

/ long 445 #4  
U can get new fenders from a company called import tractor parts from Canada. They list for $750 (ouch) you might be able to find a local body shop that could do some repair. I know ours rusted out on the left where the tool box mounted. Some sheet metal screws and it works. Not pretty but solid.

As far as the transmission I wouldn't know. Ours you can sort of let it rest in the middle position and it will pull back to the highter range or vice versa. I have purchased parts from Long Parts, Stevens Tractor and the Import Place from Canada. These were for a Long 510. Price shop each place because sometimes their is a big price difference on the same part. Only problem with the Import Tractor Parts place in Canada was it took a long time to get but then again it was over the Christmas Holidays.

Good luck.

/ long 445 #5  
I have a Universal 445 DT (the 4wd version) & as far as I know all 445's had a separate gearstick for high/low range to the right of the main gearstick. Mine actually has Hi/Lo/Creeper ranges giving 12 forward & three reverse. Sorry to ask the obvious, but does yours have this?
Also the PTO clutch is a separate lever to the left of the main gearlever & is not connected to the main clutch pedal at all. The PTO ranges (engine speed/neutral/ground speed) are selected horizontally by the small lever just inside your left knee on the transmission top. Again, I thought that ALL 445s had the PTO clutch & selector lever as described - they certainly do in the user manuals I've seen? I'll have a look through some old brochures to see if I can spot any differences.

/ long 445 #6  
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Been busy. Ours has one gear shift lever. We also have a 510 long. It has two seperate gear shift levers and a hand clutch for PTO. I say we. Dad died last March 1. He lived a good long life. Just sometimes I forget. Was real sick and we hate to lose them but we hate to see them suffer.

/ long 445 #7  
HI, don't know if you got your transmission to shift as of yet.you have to push the clutch all the way in. pull shifter to neutral andthenup and to left for low gears put back in neutral and pull down andto laft for high gears . sometimes they are a little awkward until you learn the fill of it

/ long 445 #8  
does anyone know how to keep the tranny hydraulic fluid from turning milky. I have a Long 445 4x4 .I think it is aroud a 74 model. mine only has one gear shifter with six forward and 2 reverse gears. back to the milky oil. I have read several post about using seafoam transtune,alcohol,and a few others ,but they all recommend changing after a short time. I'm looking for something that can be left in. 5gal.buckets cost too much to change very often. I've been using trs travellers renew hyd.oil . is there a better one to use. I know that warren oil makes it and accels' at northern tools. I think they also make walmarts and advances,not sure

/ long 445 #9  
These Romanian tractors have always had a problem with milky oil. No matter what oil or additive u have in the hyd-tran-diff.. The only real solution is to change the oil. Always use a hydraulic- transmission oil combo.

/ long 445 #10  
Thanks for the reply. I know that they all have the moisture problem.I just don't know what to do about it . I tried putting a little gasket sealer around the dip stick ,since it seemed a likely source. I'm also going to make a rubber seal to shroud the gear shifter. I don't know if these will help. I know you can use alcohol and other additives in gas and diesel to help remove moisture ,but not sure about hydraulic fluid. You say run hyrdaulic and trans. fluid together . what ratio are you using and whaat weight oil do you use . thanks John