Satoh Tractor

/ Satoh Tractor #1  

Sonny580

Platinum Member
Tractor
several kinds and sizes
Just got this thing and trying to figure out the approx. year and if they are any good or not!

Satoh (Bison,--I think) S650G gas engine, I have the steering gear parts with it to put the steering back together!---The motor runs like a banshee and rest of tractor looks well made and tight, so am I wasting my time on this unit or should I continue with it??---I really like all the features it has!---diffy lock/ hi-lo trans/3-pt hitch/ FAST lift hyd. system/etc! thanks; sonny

/ Satoh Tractor #2  
My experiences with Satohs is that they are decent tractors. It's like a lot of things in life, as long as they're used within their design limits and basic maintenance is done they are fine. I do not have any direct experience with the S650G though. The main thing is that it doesn't really matter what others think of them, as long as *you* like it which it sounds like you do. You'll always find people that will like, dislike, or be indifferent towards any particular thing.

/ Satoh Tractor #3  
Sotah is Mitsubishi.
I run a MT180D and can assure you that they are tough well made machines.
Drawback might be if PTO is not standard as some rotated wrong way and used smaller shaft but a converter (reverser) is available.
Your gasser would be a Mazda based engine.
Couple of members on this site do support the Sotah and Mitsu tractors.

/ Satoh Tractor #4  
Sotah is Mitsubishi.

True, however my understanding is that Satoh was an established tractor company spanning quite a few years of history before Mitsubishi acquired them. I know that the S373D I have was influenced very little by Mitsubishi other than some decals from it's pre-Mitsubishi ownership. It appears Satoh chose Mitsubishi engines for some of the tractor lines as did other tractor companies such as Iseki.

/ Satoh Tractor #5  
The Satoh 650G pto is US. standard 1 3/8" and rotates correctly. They have a mazda motor in them, I believe. I have a friend that has a nice one, for sale/ loader ; new rims,tires running for fair money, if your interested.

/ Satoh Tractor #6  
Size wise are these things more like the S373/MT372's or like a Ford 9/8N?

/ Satoh Tractor #7  
The S650G is more like the 8N, but is not quite as big or powerful, but close. It is a 22 PTO horsepower tractor with 11.2 x 24 tires out back. The 8N is a 23 or so PTO horsepower machine with 10-28 rear tires. The S650G weighs about 2100 lbs, where the 8N is 2400 lbs, both unballasted. The Satoh has an advantage in gearing, having high and low range for 6 forward and 2 reverse speeds, vs 4 forward and 1 reverse speed for the Ford. For 21 horsepower of output at the PTO, the Satoh will burn almost 3/4 of a gallon less.

I would say the S650G is a better machine than the 8N, with more gears, better economy, differential lock, etc. On the other hand, the sheer prevalence of the N series of tractors makes them serviceable and maintainable in a way none of the Japanese machines are.

/ Satoh Tractor #8  
Sonny, I have one...had her for 4 yrs. Tough tractor, parts are tough to get, but I have come a long way in building a list of part numbers and sources. Let me know if you need anything or have questions.

Raf

/ Satoh Tractor #9  
Sonny, I have one...had her for 4 yrs. Tough tractor, parts are tough to get, but I have come a long way in building a list of part numbers and sources. Let me know if you need anything or have questions.

Raf

Hello Raf, just wondering where you would get engine parts for your tractor. I need head gasket set, piston ring set and rod and main bearing set. Cannot seem to track down anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tanar.

/ Satoh Tractor #10  
Hello Raf, just wondering where you would get engine parts for your tractor. I need head gasket set, piston ring set and rod and main bearing set. Cannot seem to track down anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tanar.

What model Satoh tractor is it?