Buying Advice Going to look at Long 460

/ Going to look at Long 460 #1  

Skeezix

Tractor
M-F 135 gas
Going to look at this one, so offer any advice and info please.
00a0a_8yDolCM9hEm_600x450.jpg
Long 460-DT with Long loader. Dunno if mower is included, doesn't say so. No other substantial info offered. Asking $6500.

Been reading up on the brand in threads I can find here. Seems like everyone agrees they are a powerfully useless and unreliably dependable brand, well and oddly built of cheap solid materials, that I should buy without worry and then unload ASAP. ;) Just like any of the off-brands I guess. A few things in my favor for the higher risk that comes with a slight oddball like this: I'm not afraid to get into the guts of anything, figuring I can screw it up as well as half of the doofuses out there doing it full time, and cheaper. Got a good tractor mechanic at the bottom of the hill to help me out if I need it. I put maybe 75 hrs on a tractor in a year, so not asking a lot from the machine. The cautions I see about making sure I have a parts supplier don't worry me; looks like internet shopping for this tractor can be effective, and I will never need a part quickly.

Any ideas on the age? TractorData says the model was produced 1977-1991. Threads say serial numbers will be of little help, these tractors being mixed around in assembly and storage for years. How do I tell which engine (Fiat, Uzina, whatever) it has? Will I be able to figure out which service manuals to buy after I get it?

Read of 3 pt. sticking at bottom, poor design. Will check it both empty and with implement like the mower.

Read of common problems with water in transmission. Is this from people that must store them outside? Had that with an IH 450 before. I'm a dedicated shedder now.

I'll be interested to see what hydraulic changes have been made, given what seems to be a reservoir on the fender.

Hoping the loader can lift the front end off so I can give the front wheels a shake. Any other suggestions on checking the MFWD.

Really hoping it has the crawler gear range, would be nice to get a slow reverse for blowing snow.

Any other stuff I should be asking?

/ Going to look at Long 460 #2  
I had one. It all depends on the hours, use, and maintenance. Some had 6 speed transmissions and a handle for the pto clutch. I rolled hay and bushhogged with the 460 I had.
Locally its about a 3500 to 4500 outfit. Most dealers take the loader off and sell alone. The box on the fender is a tool box. hydraulics are from the transmission differential.
If the hours are low and everthing works its a good tractor.

/ Going to look at Long 460
Thanks for the reply. Looked at it Friday. Loader is quick-detach except for the hydraulics. The loader is driven by a hydraulic pump on PTO, and the box is the hydraulic reservoir. Huge lines through the pump. It's also a feed-through pump, with splines so you can still use the PTO. Trans seemed like 3+R speeds x 2 ranges ... range lever was marked hi-lo, so not the newer version with creeper range. Couldn't get it started, it cranked a little but battery died before it fired up. Guy wasn't there. Had a PTO clutch lever and a decal warning to keep it in the engaged position ... cuz of the pump I guess. Also a lever to choose PTO constant speed or ground-matching.

/ Going to look at Long 460
Saw an Allis 5040 at a good price on craigslist today, essentially the same tractor in 2wd. Tempted to check it out but did not.

Bought a Massey 135 with 3f/1r trans x Hi/Lo and MultiPower today, with a Freeman industrial loader with separate front pump. The low reverse seems plenty slow for a 6 ft. blower.