DEUTZ 5506 operators manual / pto question

/ DEUTZ 5506 operators manual / pto question #1  

BauerNick

Tractor
Deutz 5506
Greetings all,

Finally picked up my first tractor, it is a Deutz D5506 (2WD) with FEL. It has the 4 cylinder air cooled diesel. Since I'm as green as they come in terms of tractor use, I definitely want to pick up an operators manual to go with this. My attempts at locating one so far have not yielded any results. I've found operators manuals for the D4506 and D6206 online. Does anyone know where I could find an operators manual for the 5506? Or if not, does anyone know if either the 4506 or 6206 manual would be similar enough to get the job done? I believe the 6206 has the same F4L912 engine as my 5506, but they apparently squeeze 10 more HP out of it. A local dealer suggested the PTO would be different on the 6206 but he did not elaborate (didn't seem real interested in helping). The 4506 has the smaller 3 cylinder but I believe the chassis is the same so the pto setup may be similar. Any input is appreciated.

My specific question on the PTO is how I am supposed to engage and disengage it. The engage/disengage lever is to the left of operator seat, however, the tractor does not appear to have a 2 stage clutch, and depressing the clutch fully does nothing when trying to engage the pto. There is a lever to the left of the steering wheel that says "Lever must be in forward position when not being used to disengage pto machine". So I guess this is my PTO clutch? It has no effect when trying to engage or disengage the pto either, with the lever in either forward or back position. I'm wondering if this is broke or needs adjusted? If i jam the PTO into engaged position how serious and likely is the damage that will occur? I can hear some mild grinding of gears and then it engages pretty quickly. It is pretty mild, nothing like trying to put the tractor into drive gears without clutching.

I appreciate everyone's patience with my ignorance and appreciate any input.
BauerNick

Last edited:
   / DEUTZ 5506 operators manual / pto question #2  
Hello BauerNick, we had a Deutz D6006 from 1971 on our farm. It definitely has the smaller extra lever on the left side floor of the driver's seat that you have to "switch" first before using the big engage/disengage lever on the upper left side of the steering column. Then you engage the PTO using the big lever. To disengage, you first use the big lever on the upper left again, and then the lever on the floor to completely switch PTO off. The function of the big upper left lever you can compare with the yellow PTO button on more modern tractors. I hope this helps.

By the way, your Deutz D5506 has an independent PTO, which is very nice to have.

Last edited:
   / DEUTZ 5506 operators manual / pto question
Gharms,
Thanks for the reply. For some silly reason, it never occurred to me to try to switch the small pto lever left of the seat first before trying the larger engage lever, I've been doing it the other way around. I'll give that a try in the morning. Hopefully that'll work, I've been kind of bummed out about my purchase thinking I may have to split the tractor to get the pto clutch fixed

/ DEUTZ 5506 operators manual / pto question #4  
I think the tractor will be fine as is!! Those little 06 series Deutz are very, very hardy; my dad never ever had any problems with the Deutz, coming in 1971 to the family and still being used!! Let us know how it goes!!

Gharms,
Thanks for the info. Tried reversing the order and still wont work. When trying to engage the smaller floor lever it grinds gears loudly and cannot be forced into gear, clutch depressed or not makes no difference

Thanks Mac624,
I ordered an operators manual for a 6206 hopefully that will help me with at least the basics

/ DEUTZ 5506 operators manual / pto question #8  
The big lever on the dash is the PTO "clutch" lever, it must be pulled back first. Then you move the smaller PTO lever on the floor area to put the PTO into gear. THEN release the PTO clutch lever sloooowly...

BTW, make sure you leave the PTO clutch lever in the forward position when not in use, or you will wear out the PTO cluck throw out bearing...

SR

/ DEUTZ 5506 operators manual / pto question #9  
i have a Deutz 6006, o the dash there is nothing that works except the steering, however on the left side, i have lever which connects to the a gear on the the floor.. when you press the lever down, in order to start the pto.. is makes a forced engagement (makes a noise).. am i missing something?

/ DEUTZ 5506 operators manual / pto question #10  
Are you holding the clutch ALL the way down when you shift the pto?? I think that model has the double clutch, NOT independent pto...

IF you are, maybe the pto clutch plate is stuck/rusted to the fly wheel?? I had a 40-06 so that...

SR