allis chalmers...anyone familiar?

/ allis chalmers...anyone familiar? #1  

theelves

Hi! We are thinking about looking at an Allis Chalmers, early 80-s, 4wd, 900 hours clean tractor for sale. It is $4000 with a 5' brush hog, single plough, and a boom. We do not know anything about these tractors, other than they stopped making them in the 80's. I was wondering how reliable they are? Does this sound like a good deal? How hard to get parts? ...Just whatever anyone could tell us that might help educate us. Thank you!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ allis chalmers...anyone familiar? #2  
Theelves, You haven't given us much to go on, but AC tractors have a very good reputation. If it is an early '80s I am guessing a 6060, 7080 or something in this series? These were the larger series of ACs. The price sounds very good to me, even better with the implements.

My 2 cents, good luck!

/ allis chalmers...anyone familiar? #3  
As far as I know AC made 3 different models in the 80's, 5015 which is about 18 hp, 5020 25hp and the 5030 31 hp, since you say it's 4wd it is not a 5030. The 5015 was a 3 cylinder with 9 speed synco trans, and the 5020 was a 2 cylinder with a 12 speed non synco. I bought my 5020 new in 84 and the only thing to go wrong has been a failed steer knuckle bearing, always starts always runs, not the most modern by todays standards but it's paid for /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I get all the upkeep stuff from the Agco dealer he and I have discussed avaiability and he doesn't think parts are a problem yet. As far as price goes sounds in line for a 4wd just depends on the condition of the machine.

/ allis chalmers...anyone familiar? #4  
FYI, The 5015, 5020 and 5030 were all made by Hinomoto in Japan for Allis.