UTB 550

/ UTB 550 #1  

Tdog50

Tractor
Jinma 224
A friend recently purchased a universal 550 Model U-550MDT-SD tractor. The engine knocks but he got it for peanuts. Can anyone tell me if parts are still readily available for these tractors and are they worth rebuilding.

Tdog50

/ UTB 550 #2  
I can't speak for that model but Universal tractor parts are still available. Purchased some one time and they came from a company in Canada. If you don't get any search results by googling Universal tractor parts try searching for Long tractor parts. They made a number of Long tractors and I have swapped parts back and forth between a Universal tractor we have with a Long tractor we also have.

The company name Import Tractor parts seems to ring a bell as the company but I just can't remember for sure.

/ UTB 550
Thanks for the reply Luvmexfood. You were right with the Import tractor parts.They are located in the Ottawa valley. Did some more research last night and found these tractors to be quite common.

Tdog50

/ UTB 550 #4  
Lots of parts on ebay the 560 Long is the same tractor as far as I can see,also the 1365 Oliver has many parts in common with the 550.I have an Oliver 1365 4WD having some engine work done now parts for these tractors are the most reasonably price around.

/ UTB 550
Lots of parts on ebay the 560 Long is the same tractor as far as I can see,also the 1365 Oliver has many parts in common with the 550.I have an Oliver 1365 4WD having some engine work done now parts for these tractors are the most reasonably price around.

What would be a reasonable price for this tractor. If the owner decides not to repair I might take a shot at it .He also has a brush cutter and box blade that look hardly used. Just looking for a rough price to start figuring things out.

Tdog

/ UTB 550 #6  
I bought a Long 460 4-5 years ago, paid $3000 for it then - runs good, has a quirk in hitch design that if you move the draft control when another lever (don't recall exactly) is in the wrong position, you'll end up tearing the whole thing down to fix it - so I don't use draft control at all.

Mine doesn't have slow enough speeds to till very well, so I ended up getting an AC 160 from a friend, same price, lots of recent parts, etc - it has a low range that gets it down to about 0.6 mph in first, GREAT for tilling - I tried to sell the 460, but crappy economy wasn't helping so I kept it - it usually has a 6 foot flail or a 7 foot soil prep drag on it, leaves the AC for tilling, gannon box scraper, etc...

The UTB 550 you're talking about apparently has a 3 range tranny, so tilling should be good

TractorData.com UTB/Universal 550 tractor transmission information

So now it's down to how good a horse-trader you are :laughing: and parts cost/your willingness to take on another project - good luck... Steve

/ UTB 550 #7  
I would like to thank all of you guy's for your comments and information about the utb 550 tractor, my nephew recently bought one with a gb 800 workhorse loader on it for 250 dollars, the motor has some issues not sure yet what all is wrong, trying to find places to get parts for it, thank you all for the info. it should be a big help