16HP Montgomery Ward

/ 16HP Montgomery Ward #1  

bannerd

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 165
Hello,

I picked up a 16HP lawn mower for the wife this weekend. We bought it for cheap knowing the frame was cracked on the tractor. I pulled it into the shop and welded the frame and braced it across where the Eaton pump was flexing it. Wife took it for a spin and she lost forward (after popping a wheelie). Rolled it back into the workshop and I noticed the hydrostatic transmission was almost coming off. I ended up taken apart the entire tractor and removed the transmission from the axle. The hex bolts were all missing but one. I ended up flipping the axle upside down and rotating the wheel axle, all three bolts fell to the bottom of the pan:shocked:. One of them was chewed up really bad. Taking the axle apart and inspecting the gears there was no damage. I ended up cutting paper gaskets from the stuff at tractor supply and getting some soft grade hex bolts (red loctite) and install the pump back onto the plate. I'm in the middle of putting the axle back on to the tractor when I noticed the top pully on the 16HP briggs is loose. Almost like the bearings are shot. Anyone have the bearing numbers so I can get these ordered? I'll get some pictures up tonight!

/ 16HP Montgomery Ward #2  
Most bearings of that age have the number impressed into the bearing. If not go to King bearing they can I.d. It