Question regarding Long 460dt (~1980) - Throttle Shaft direction...

/ Question regarding Long 460dt (~1980) - Throttle Shaft direction... #1  

Breadfan

Tractor
1980 Long 460dt
All,

Good afternoon - Been lurking for some time, but finally joined up to post a question. I recently purchased a Long 460DT tractor. I was looking for a project tractor to work, and this one fell into my lap. I used this site to check into the old Long tractors, so realize the pros and cons of them and what I'm getting into.

So this tractor hasn't run in some time, so I've embarked on the first steps to get it started, and hit a really odd issue....

Basically in summary, with some funny details below...What direction do you pull the throttle lever to throttle up or down? Essentially, if I pull the throttle lever towards me/down, does that make the tractor rev up? (Gosh this is hard to ask!) My only other experience is with an old Ford backhoe (model 555) and the hand throttle was up for faster, down for slower...

Here's the details...

So I set out to get this Long tractor running. I was told it last ran about a year ago. So I've changed the oil, new filter, changed both fuel filters, trained fuel tank, added fresh diesel and additive, put in a charged battery, and primed the fuel system. Checked coolant and hydraulic systems, and was ready to just give it a go and see if it would fire off.

I was also cognizant of diesel runaway, and I realized I didn't know the history of this motor and how worn it was, even though it has a claimed 650hrs. So, I was ready for runaway conditions, had the air intake tube open and rags handy. I also figured it was possible the injection pump could be stuck internally...

So I get it started, and must've had a bit of air still in the injectors even after a few bleed attempts, so it ran slow, and then all of a sudden starts revving up. I instinctively pulled the throttle lever DOWN, and it really cranks up! So, I go "Oh boy it's running away!" and plug the intake.

This was late Sunday, so I decided to go back to the service manual and plan my next steps. I realized I should've pulled the fuel cutoff to know it wasn't an oil issue runaway but maybe a stuck injection pump, etc...

So I keep thinking, and then realize, wait - what if pulling the throttle that direction is actually INCREASING throttle?

So I hit up YouTube, find a few Long tractor cold starts, and sure as heck it looks like pulling the lever towards you/down increases revs.

OK - so now I feel stupid, and sheepishly post this. What direction of the throttle lever is rev up vs rev down? Did I instinctively pull it inadvertently to full throttle? I realize YouTube isn't always the best guide - I spent many nights before this watching runaway videos thus my instinct to assume the worst lol!

To be fair, I'm very mechanical, I rebuild cars and gas stuff all the time, so while my question seems bad, I haven't had any issue doing the work on this tractor and none of it's been very difficult - well expect what dir the throttle lever goes lol. This is my first tractor but I've helped my dad repair his backhoe many times. I'm not a diesel mechanic but know the basics and secured a service manual prior to starting this.

And one more thing - does anyone know if Long had an Operators Manual for the 360/460 series? The service manual doesn't seem to get into some of the operational stuff...looks like some of it is standard but want to be sure there's not other oddities of these tractors in operation compared to standard issue...

Thanks in advance!

/ Question regarding Long 460dt (~1980) - Throttle Shaft direction... #2  
I have the same tractor. Yes pulling the throttle to you is speeding up the tractor! Kill switch is down below 18 inches or so and it is pulled toward you to kill it. A FYI I learned recently while replacing lift pump. The fuel line from the tank into lift pump can directly affect the kill switch by physically interfering. One has to be very careful when reattaching incoming fuel line that it does not swing up in the way of the linkage. I inherited this tractor. It was purchased brand new. It came with a helpful service manual. however it is not the absolute correct manual as it references a 6 speed transmission and I have an 8 speed. Also some of the oil (engine & transmission) recommendations are different from logical, reasonable oils AND different from the REPAIR manual which I have. This repair manual is fairly easy to find and download from the internet. I have a purchased paper manual and the digital manual. I try to follow it but it is not well written. Maybe because of it being built in Romania! I am looking for help also as I just got it running after approx 7 years and while the engine is running excellent I can only use 1st and 2nd gear (hi/low range). No 3 & 4th gear or reverse! Cannot find any info on this problem.

/ Question regarding Long 460dt (~1980) - Throttle Shaft direction...
Thank you! Very helpful. I think Saturday I should have time to start it again.

Yep - I have the repair manual, it's got good info but I agree, it's a bit hard to read. I also find it funny to see diagrams that point to various items, and instead of listing them in order like "1, 2, 3, 4, 5..." some of them are listed like "V1, A, 7, 23, C1...." LOL

Funny though, I just assumed I pulled it down to idle, and figured the injection pump governor was stuck or it ran away. Didn't even think I was pulling it down to full throttle :) And, I think my instinct was messed up after watching all the crazy ruanway diesel videos on YouTube (the on with the NS locomotive shooting flames out the top is pretty awesome!), so I choked the intake before pulling the fuel shutoff. It was late in the day Sunday so I decided to hold off messing with it further to when I had more time.

Mine does have the 8spd trans, I think they started in 1980. I didn't get any documentation with this tractor, but price was essentially a hand-me-down kinda price.

Also, it's missing the front driveshaft, but I don't think that's indicative of an issue as it came with the Long front end loader. It appears the way that mounts, it would interfere with the front driveshaft so it was removed and lost at some point.

Price was right though, esp. if I get it running.

I think on mine I used 7.5qts of 15w40 with a new filter. Oil level looks great according to dipstick.

I figured first step is to get it running, then I'll see about moving it and testing hydraulics.

Does anyone know if Long made an actual operators manual that covers more functions? I've been able to piece together most of it through the service manual, badging/stickers on the tractor, as well as common sense and forum lurking, but wouldn't be a bad thing to have an ops manual. :)