alice charmer help

/ alice charmer help #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
I told a friend I would post his question. A few weeks ago he bought a AC 1963 tractor with bucket when he bought it the man told him it has a live pto, the problem is it stays on as long as the tractor is running! is that NORMAL?.

/ alice charmer help #2  
Is it just turning or is actually engaged? Sometimes there is drag in the system and a PTO will turn when it is disengaged. That should be fixed with adjustment. However, it you should be able to disengage it and there will be no actual power being transmitted. AC came out with live PTO (and hand plus foot clutch) with the WD in the late 40's and anything newer should have that feature.

/ alice charmer help #3  
A 1963 model would probably a D series tractor? (D 14, D 17, D 19, something like that?) Exact model number would help determine more accurately what's going on.

/ alice charmer help #4  
Yeah, definitely need more info.

/ alice charmer help
Thanks guys I have to get more info from him about that when he told me it sounded like the pto was engaged.

/ alice charmer help #6  
Older tractors generally don't have a PTO brake that prevents the shaft from turning when the engine is running and the PTO is disengaged. Depending on the engagement system, it might have enough drag that you can't stop the shaft by hand. Which is a very dangerous thing to attempt.

With a PTO brake the shaft won't turn when the engine is running, but will release and turn when the engine is off so you can align the splines easier.

/ alice charmer help
Just talked to him and found out the tractor is a D10 and there is a lever to engage the PTO when he moved it the other way it felt like it disengaged but still spins.

/ alice charmer help #8  
I knew a couple different Alices. And they were both charmers.

Anyway, hope you get your buddies Allis Chalmers fixed. :)

/ alice charmer help #9  
The pto "drags" on lots of tractors when it's disengaged... not uncommon at all.

SR

/ alice charmer help #10