Ford 9n/8n

/ Ford 9n/8n #1  

Mobil mech

Tractor
Farmall and massey ferg.
I'm working on this after customer tried to repair himself. It's a 9n tractor and customer says the engine is from an 8n . He replaced the carb and the governor. It idles but you move the throttle more than 3 notches it runs wide open. So how do i adjust this? Thanks for any help.

/ Ford 9n/8n #2  
Check to make sure the governor linkage is attached. If it is then disconnect it temporarily and work the governor arm back and forth a few times to free it up if it is sticking. I had this problem with my 8n, if that does not work you may need to overhaul the governor. The throttle lever tensions a spring attached to the throttle plate in the carburetor, the governor pulls against the spring, if the linkage is not set up correctly, or the governor is not working, you end up with the condition you describe.

/ Ford 9n/8n #3  
I had a similar situation with one of my older tractors and it was the return spring on the linkage from the carb to the governor was stretched out. Disconnect the linkage to the governor hold the linkage that it connects to on the carb and then try advancing the throttle and see if it over revs. If it doesn't than it's on the governor side of the house.