Belarus experts

/ Belarus experts #1  

Corby7

Tractor
Belarus 250 AS
I have the 250 as I don't have a manual and don't have a means to get one. I got the tractor and was sitting for a while....pushing in the clutch does not work so I have to idle it down and pop it in. I've tried adjusting it with no results. It does however move and go good....just won't allow me to use clutch to disengage drive or put into drive. I've been popping it in and out.....not safe at all. Any ideas? I've taken the access plate off and fiddled with what I can and brought back even what it originally was....no results. Help please?

/ Belarus experts
Almost 250 views and not one input?

/ Belarus experts #3  
It sound like the clutch disc is stuck. It's not uncommon with organic disc when they set for long periods. Try drive in low gear while stepping hard on brakes. Do one side then quickly step hard on the other.

This will usually break it free. It may take several tries. Do it in forward first and if it's not working try reverse. I seem to have better luck doing it in reverse, but just be careful. If it still won't break free try spray it with some PB blaster let set and try again.

If you need to let it set idle in the future, put the clutch pedal in and wedge it down with a piece of wood. This will prevent it from happening again.

/ Belarus experts
Thanks agriman I'll give that a try

/ Belarus experts #5  
Corby7 Wish I could help you fix it but I've never been into the bell housing. We have 3 of the 250AS tractors and never had any problems with the clutch area. 2 of them are 1988 models and the other is 1990 so that's a lot of combined years with no clutch problems. You can find parts and manuals online. As already mentioned the clutch plate could have swelled and stuck while not in use.

The clutch release bearing (throw out bearing) is suppose to be greasable for inside the side plate? I only found this out lately and have not greased mine. Not sure if the information is 100% correct though. If you can get to the throw out bearing looks like you could see if the bearing is pressing against the fingers on the pressure plate.

If I come across anything to help I'll send it your way.

I'm not sure what material the clutch lining has but in all cases I've seen any oil on other linings will cause it to swell and ruin it pretty quick.

/ Belarus experts
Corby7 Wish I could help you fix it but I've never been into the bell housing. We have 3 of the 250AS tractors and never had any problems with the clutch area. 2 of them are 1988 models and the other is 1990 so that's a lot of combined years with no clutch problems. You can find parts and manuals online. As already mentioned the clutch plate could have swelled and stuck while not in use.

The clutch release bearing (throw out bearing) is suppose to be greasable for inside the side plate? I only found this out lately and have not greased mine. Not sure if the information is 100% correct though. If you can get to the throw out bearing looks like you could see if the bearing is pressing against the fingers on the pressure plate.

If I come across anything to help I'll send it your way.

I'm not sure what material the clutch lining has but in all cases I've seen any oil on other linings will cause it to swell and ruin it pretty quick.

Thank you for the help

/ Belarus experts
Tried what was mentioned.....didn't work. Going to hammer down on the brakes tomorrow again.

/ Belarus experts #8  
Hook it up to a load like a disc harrow. Hold down the clutch pedal and go disc a field. You probably won't get too far before the clutch comes loose. Between the load and the flywheel getting warmed up the rust etc. will let go. Had this same problem with a few Farmalls that sat for a while.

/ Belarus experts
Hook it up to a load like a disc harrow. Hold down the clutch pedal and go disc a field. You probably won't get too far before the clutch comes loose. Between the load and the flywheel getting warmed up the rust etc. will let go. Had this same problem with a few Farmalls that sat for a while.

Got it fixed !!!! Lubed up the clutch plates with almost a can of wd-40 and extended clutch as hard as it would go. It sat overnight.....I went out and started to play it hit like usual and started it up....put clutch in and it went into gear....I thought oh great it is further messed up....but what it did was allow me to put in gear like it should! Long story short the clutch now works.... one thing I did do is propped the clutch pedal and ran the machine for an hour so the wd-40 dried thoroughly. I'm very pleased now.....sucked to have to pop into gear and have limited use of the tractor. Thanks for the input....clutch was froze and now good.....!!!

Corby7

/ Belarus experts #10  
Glad you got her going. I sure hope I was wrong about the oil not good for the clutch plate. I'm not sure what kind of material the lining is or how its bonded onto the steel plate. Maybe the oil won't affect it beyond slipping or grabbing for a little while. Couldn't hurt it much because it wasn't working the way it was and now it's working.

I've got to work on the glow plug system on one of ours. At least I have one of the tractors glow plug working so I can just copy it. It cranks and fires right up but it would be better if I can get it working.