What's your favorite antique tractor?

/ What's your favorite antique tractor? #1  

sjvalin

Tractor
Kubota L3710HST w/LA681 loader
What\'s your favorite antique tractor?

I recently bought a place with 40 mostly wooded acres. I won't be living there full time for about 2 years. As much fun as a new tractor would be, it really doesn't make much sense to buy one now (but then again, I've never let doing what makes sense stop me!). Until then, it might be cool to pick up an older tractor to play with, and later, restore (I currently collect old sports cars, why not tractors?). I'll mainly be using it to bush hog, and the occasional snow plowing. Just about anything with a 3 point hitch ought to work. What's a user friendly antique? Ford N series? JD 2 cylinders? Anyone?

/ What's your favorite antique tractor? #2  
Re: What\'s your favorite antique tractor?

sjvalin, There's certainly nothing wrong with your idea. I had the same idea 5 years ago, but after I looked at a bunch of old tractors, drove a couple of Ford N series, and remembered the old 2 cylinder Deere my dad had when I was a kid, I went and bought a new Kubota. I also have a neighbor who still has a Farmall Super H and two Super M's, and it's only sheer luck that they haven't killed him yet, not to mention the amount of time he spends just trying to keep them running. However, if you have the time, restoring an antique may be a lot of fun; just not something I have the patience for./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ What's your favorite antique tractor? #3  

sjvalin,
Believe it or not, but Porsche made tractors back in the 60's! I almost talked myself into buying one once. Figured why not, I drive one on the road why not have one to work in the yard with! But after giving it a real look over I figured I was better with the Kubota. Still wouldn't mind getting one if the price was right!
Good luck with your hunt, Von

/ What's your favorite antique tractor? #4  

sjvalin,
My favorite old tractor shall always be the Farmall H,for that what I grew up on and kept my taste buds alive for tractors.
Yep its safe to say I'm a Farmall nut !!
Now that I have warn you. :eek:)
Bird is 100% right about how dangerous Super H's and Super M's are,also the B,C,H,M,M-TA,Farmall 200 & 300 & 400.
that have the trike front end.
Flat land should be the only area to work these models.
For some reason the trike front end seem to rear up more than the wide front end...yikes.
If you had a load of hay or firewood you better not try traveling down a slope,for the brakes weren't the best.
If you want to stay in good shape just try starting H when its zero degress outside with the hand crank,and hope it doesn't kick back......ouch.
Sorry if I ramble on.

Ford 8n and 9n are a good all round tractors,and parts are still easy to come by.
The N's have enough hp to give you what you want.
Little advice,check the transmission for water or look to see if the rubber boot has cracks around the shifting stick.
That has been a quite problems with the N models,and water transmissiom fluid never mix well and in cold weather its $$$.

I'm not much on John Deere,heck spent to much time on Farmall's and I'm sure I still have a couple of imprints on my butt.

Restoring old tractor does indeed make a good winter project,the H was.

I still use the family Farmall H from time to time,but after purchasing a Kubota with all the goodies also attachments to play with I'm spoiled.

Like the old saying goes,"measure twice cut once" I also believe it apply to buying a tractor.

Best wishes toward your new home and future,and be good to yourself.

Thomas..NH

/ What's your favorite antique tractor? #5  

sjvalin,

I think that if you're set on buying used, you should look for a good used Ford 8N, and I'm not just saying that since I own a New Holland. When I was looking at tractors I looked at many 8N's, the thing that amazed me was the resale on these old tractors and how long they've lasted!

My neighbor had an 8N that was in good shape and ran great but his dad wanted it really bad so he traded him for his Ford diesel, early 60's 2000? 4000? not sure. He gets good use out of the newer tractor but still misses his 8N!

You could probably use it for a few years and get all of your money back or more on resale.

Good Luck, JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ What's your favorite antique tractor? #6  

The first tractor to have what we now accept as the industry standard universal 3 point hitch was the 1939 Ford - Ferguson. Soon after that ford split from Ferguson, and Harry Ferguson went on the market Ferguson, then Massey-Ferguson. It took 20 years or so for all of the other manufacturers to adopt the universal system, so the older Farmalls and JD's and Allis Chalmers, etc. use proprietary implements, which are severely limiting. Look for a 1940's or newer ford or Ferguson, and you can walk into any tractor shop and buy implements which will fit right on without modification.

/ What's your favorite antique tractor? #7  

Thomas, the neighbor I was talking about told me that before I moved to this area he was dragging the pasture with a homemade drag; a big pipe that he welded some railroad spikes onto, and pulling it with a long chain behind the old Farmall and it hung, the tractor reared up, and he fell off behind. He thinks it was because of tilting the carburetor, but for whatever reason, he said when he fell off the engine died and the tractor fell back down onto its wheels instead of coming on over on him.

And since I've been here, and was helping him bale hay for a couple of years, one time I was doing the baling with his old Oliver, and he was raking with the Super M, and when we finished one side of the creek, instead of going the long way around by the road, he decided to cross that rocky creek in a very shallow spot knowing that only the right brake worked. When he went down the bank and hit the brakes and it tried to turn I thought sure he was going to turn over, but he released the brakes, bounced across the rocks, hit the throttle and climbed the other side. It was a sight to see with him bouncing way up in the air, and the entire muffler and exhaust pipe flying off the tractor. It's funny now, but I sure thought at the time that I'd lost a good neighbor.

Bird

/ What's your favorite antique tractor? #8  
Re: What\'s your favorite antique tractor?....Bird.

Bird.
Those old tractors back then taught us lessons that you just can't learn in a classroom,but were able to pass those lesson on to the new generation of tractor owners....I believe its call wisdom.
Also I glad there more safety into todays tractors!!

Hope your day will be a cooler and more pleasant.

Thomas..NH

/ What's your favorite antique tractor? #9  
Re: What\'s your favorite antique tractor?....Bird.

Thomas, I certainly do believe that experience is the best teacher, if you're one of those who survives the experience./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ What's your favorite antique tractor? #10  

Seems like a good recommendation to me. Fords are about as much New Holland as Catipillar is John Deere. Put a new decal on them and paint them. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif