Farmall 140

/ Farmall 140 #1  

bigpete

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4110 HST w/410 Loader and 60
Kind of a coincidence to the thread below--I've been looking for a refurb project tractor or a running collectable for some time now. This ad caught my eye this morning. Anybody know anyhing about this model, its value, usefulness, problems etc? I have not seen the tractor or talked to the owner yet. The ad is posted verbatim below (I took the phone number out so you fellows won't steal it out from under me if I've found a "gem" /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif ) I posted this in the Vintage section also. Thanks in advance for your comments and thoughts.

"Farmall 140 w/59" Woods belly mower, great for estates or collector, exc. cond., $3500 OBO."

/ Farmall 140 #2  
This was a follow-on to the "A" series. It was made till the late 70's; the last of the line in a fine series.

The "A"/100 and Cub series are popular for mowing. I'm setting my '41 "A" up with a rear mount sickle mower.

The tractor will sit a little tall; it was designed as a cultivating tractor, so it has lots of ground clearance. The 140 should have full hydraulics, and a 3pt hitch.It should be great as an all around tractor. You could put a snow plow, belly blade ect on it. It will also pull rear mounted attachments, scrapers, plows, disc's, ect. It is not the best to mount a loader on, but it has been done.

I looked at these originally, but wanted the older, Loewy styling. That's how I got my '41.

You can find info on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ytmag.com>http://www.ytmag.com</A> There's a picture section that has three photo's of 1960s "140's". There's also a pretty good discussion forum, classified ad's, ect

/ Farmall 140
Thanks for the info and link. I think I'll mosey on over and see what condition the old girl is in.

/ Farmall 140 #4  
I forgot to mention... check out Ebay; they are on there all the time... Just do a search on Farmall, and then sort by highest price.

There's a 140 on there, in addition to some older A's and B's.

/ Farmall 140 #5  
Robert,Could you straighten me out even if it takes a 2x4. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif1. Whats the differents between the I140 and the F140?If these facts from HI are correct both were made from 1958 until 1975,and the serial numbers match both I140 and F140 for that year.

/ Farmall 140 #6  
Hey Thomas,
I want to say off the top of my head that the "I" is for "Industrial". IH made a number of "A/100/140" for shop mules. They tended to have a beefier front axle, and some were "lowboy's" like a Cub Low-boy.

I have a few IH books in our library; I'll take a look to see if I can find out more.

/ Farmall 140 #7  
Thomas - I believe the "I" is International and the "F" would be for Farmall. IH went back and forth over the years on their branding of tractor i.e. McCormick-Farmall, McCormick-Deering, Farmall, International, etc. I have both a '49 Farmall Cub and an '66 International Cub. The difference can be attributed to the "F" (Farmall) line being agricultural and the "I" (International) line being utility/industrial. Let's not even get into the Red vs. Yellow/White!! It's all kinda' confusing....I'm not sure IH even had a handle on it.

/ Farmall 140 #8  
Thanks Chuck for the information.
I too become lost w/the newer cubs and the color change. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Farmall 140 #9  
McCormick-Farmall 140 Gasoline
23.02-21.25 hp @ 1400 rpm, 3 1/8' x 4" 122.7 cu in.
4 cyl International Harvester engine
4 forward gears, 1.9 to 12.8 mph.
10.61 hp hr/gal
3000 lbs.

I spent hours on one of these,its what I grew up on.....It has the quick hitch for implements,I liked the way it was offset,it made it a little better for going around the hills by being offset,if you kept the operators station on the up hill side (a better counter balance) it was a nice little tractor. We had a front blade on ours and dressed up the yards on a lot of houses we built. We had a 5' cutter bar which was a mid mount and I clipped a lot of weeds in the late summer out in the pasture fields. I passed one up here a year ago,I had no real need for it other than the nonstalgia and a lot of child hood memories and not enough room for my equipment as it is. Our particular 140 we had a lot of steering problems,there was a (moon key) in it that sheared a lot on it. It was an isolated problem I think. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Farmall 140 #10  
Don't forget the white demonstrators, and the various yellow and orange and "other" colors sold to highway departments and schools, ect. It's as confusing as the Harley "alphabet soup" model letter schemes!