Seeking info on Long 2510

/ Seeking info on Long 2510 #1  

nmextex

Tractor
1994 Kubota 5030SU
Trying to get more information on Long tractors and the pros/cons of investing in a used Long 2510. I have found a seller that has the following for sale: Long 1998/99 2510,50hp, 3 cyl diesel, 960hr, 2wd, rear weights, rear dual hydraulic, joystick loader, canopy, FEL and bucket is quick attach., 5220lbs total weight. I am not familiar with Long other than Ive been told that FarmTrac acquired Long and that Farm Trac dealers will support/service Long equipment. In east texas, the two Farm Trac dealers Ive called state they will service and have parts for 98/99 vintage.

From a price standpoint, he is asking 8500.00. Does anyone feel that 8500 is a fair asking price? Thank you in advance.

/ Seeking info on Long 2510 #2  
Probably not a bad price, but not really good one either. I think if that were my budget, I'd try to find a Ford, JD, or Case of early 80's vintage.

/ Seeking info on Long 2510 #3  
nmextex said:
Trying to get more information on Long tractors and the pros/cons of investing in a used Long 2510. I have found a seller that has the following for sale: Long 1998/99 2510,50hp, 3 cyl diesel, 960hr, 2wd, rear weights, rear dual hydraulic, joystick loader, canopy, FEL and bucket is quick attach., 5220lbs total weight. I am not familiar with Long other than Ive been told that FarmTrac acquired Long and that Farm Trac dealers will support/service Long equipment. In east texas, the two Farm Trac dealers Ive called state they will service and have parts for 98/99 vintage.

From a price standpoint, he is asking 8500.00. Does anyone feel that 8500 is a fair asking price? Thank you in advance.

Here's the specs on that model.
Tractor Specs

I have a 2610 that I bought in 97. It's been a good tractor. Got just over 1,300 hours on it now. I guess the weak point would be the 3 pt. lift cap. All Longs were low on lift weight. The hardest work I do with the 2610 is pulling a V-tank spreader that weighs about 10,000 pounds loaded. I've spread 600 tons of wood ash with it and it does all it's normal haying work too. Pulling a round baler and hay conditioner. I paid $13,500 for it in 97. It still has many years left in it.

That price doesn't sound bad. The loader is worth 3 grand if it's in decent shape. I've had two Long loaders and both were and are pretty tough and held up well.

/ Seeking info on Long 2510 #4  
I have a 2510 Long w/ over 3000 hours and have done a lot of work with it from putting up square bales of hay to digging post holes, bush hogging, plowing and disking.
Just keep up the maintenance ,oil, filters and change fuel filters as well as hydraulac and it will last you a long time.

Try buying a ford or J.D. w/ loader at that price no can do , more like 15,000.00

/ Seeking info on Long 2510 #5  
I dont think of tractors as an investment.
I think of farm equipment as a tool to use and if your needs change then trade on another tool. It just makes the money work better.
Back in the 80s I bought a wore out 460 from the city of memphis for something like 1650 used it for 4 or 5 years and sold it for 1650.
I have a bigger Long actually made by Zetor. Great old tractor.
A 2510 in good shape is a good tractor. Most Long parts are imported as the company is gone. Theyre no longer in Tarboro, NC. Odd as they made most of the Ford square hay balers in the 70s as well as for other people.

The value depends on the planned use and the overall deal.

/ Seeking info on Long 2510 #6  
I've had the same situation happen to me. Older farmer has retired and offered me a Long 2510 w/loader at a good price.He bought it new,hasn't worked it hard,kept it maintained,etc. I haven't had the chance to go look at it yet,but figured you all could answer a couple quick questions.Does this Long have wet brakes? Parts availability ok? Everyone that I've talked to locally says they're not a bad tractor,but not a lot of them around here.Thanks for your help!

/ Seeking info on Long 2510 #7  
Hello.
Parts are available all over the internet. Their is one site called (Long Tractor Parts) Also they are on ebay just to mention a few.
They are easy to find and cheaper then John Deere among others.

Brakes: Dry mechanical band

P.S. If the tractor is a good one and has the loader . they sell in my area for
anywhere from 6500.00 to 10,000.00 in very good shape.

/ Seeking info on Long 2510 #8  
Here is some more info on Long 2510. You might want to double check on the year. I am helping a friend do maintenance on his Long I have only been able to find the one web-site mentioned about for parts.

I would say this of any tractor, but if you are going to do much digging or pushing of things with the FEL. You maybe sorry you that it is only a 2WD tractor.

TractorData.com Long 2510 tractor information

You will have to do a little matching up of equipment, but here is one. Just looking at the picture does not look like much of a roll over bar.

LONG 2510 40 HP to 99 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

/ Seeking info on Long 2510 #9  
The 2510 had a powerful 152 cu. in, 3 cylinder engine. Rated at 50 engine, 46 pto hp.. Running on the dyno, most put out about 50 pto hp., new. Long ran the same powertrain from their 40 hp. right through to their 68 hp model. That is great for parts availabity, not commited to one model. Parts supply are furnished through wholesalers such as Unifarm, Sperex, and Hy Capicity carrying many parts available through their dealer networks.

/ Seeking info on Long 2510 #10  
I really appreciate all the info on this tractor-it has been a huge help. I'm still interested in it,but I'm concerned about the brakes. I live in a very hilly are and I'm thinking the dry band brakes may not hold like I want.I'm used to a 4100 Ford with wet brakes and they work great. What do you think?