Page 4 of 156 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 1554
  1. #31
    Reg
    Reg is offline
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,917

    Default Re: Let's talk flail mowers

    Just how short IS a TM1900 ?
    Shorter than a 6ft rotary, for sure, but HOW short ?
    Say from the lower 3pt pins to whatever is all the way back.
    I'm thinking trailer space and the trailer I'm using right now can barely fit the tractor, bucket and rake.
    I would like to avoid putting the bucket over the trailer tongue (-:

  2. #32
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,683
    Location
    VA
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

    Default Re: Let's talk flail mowers

    Quote Originally Posted by allen in texas
    I like this thread.
    I studied, researched, called, haggled, hammered,, kicked, screamed, stomped, fussed, fought, threw things.
    I looked at Rears, Befco, Landpride, Vrisimo, Gearmore, John deere and a bunch more I can't remember and decided...

    I'm buying a Rears SPF 72 inch with the FL 940 knives.
    I'm working on shipping now.

    Kinda high, over $4000, but I made my decision.
    So far Im very much inclined to go with the same choice, but I havnt jumped yet. Im looking very hard at the SPF60 with 'big knives' and hydraulic side shift. Best specs for the $3800 price so far.
    larry

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    30
    Location
    Lexington,SC

    Default Re: Let's talk flail mowers

    I have an older Ford flail I picked up real cheap cause the prevoius owner beat the living snot out of the knives on rock riddled land.

    If memory serves there are about 200 knives on this particular model.

    You may want to consider pricing replacement knives before making your dicision on the mower to purchase. Some of the replacement knives are expensive.

  4. #34
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,175

    Default Re: Let's talk flail mowers

    How fast can one travel with the flail mower cuttting, 5 mph, 7 mph, just as fast as you can with a rotary mower?
    Nuru
    JD 3520


  5. #35
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,175

    Default Re: Let's talk flail mowers

    another quick question, today I use a MMM to cut my grass. It shoots the grass out the sides and I tend to run over the cut grass until it is moved off of the grass. I also use my MMM to blow leaves off of the grass. Can this be accomplished with a flail mower? I have seen them in a side venting version.
    Nuru
    JD 3520


  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    30
    Location
    Lexington,SC

    Default Re: Let's talk flail mowers

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuru
    How fast can one travel with the flail mower cuttting, 5 mph, 7 mph, just as fast as you can with a rotary mower?

    I can cut with a good bit more speed with my flail, it depends on the conditions as to how much faster.

  7. #37
    Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15,368
    Location
    Prudence Island, RI
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

    Default Re: Let's talk flail mowers

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Just how short IS a TM1900 ?
    Shorter than a 6ft rotary, for sure, but HOW short ?
    Say from the lower 3pt pins to whatever is all the way back.
    I'm thinking trailer space and the trailer I'm using right now can barely fit the tractor, bucket and rake.
    I would like to avoid putting the bucket over the trailer tongue (-:
    This short (photo). I'd guess from the toplink connectioin there is only another 3ft or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #38
    Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15,368
    Location
    Prudence Island, RI
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

    Default Re: Let's talk flail mowers

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuru
    another quick question, today I use a MMM to cut my grass. It shoots the grass out the sides and I tend to run over the cut grass until it is moved off of the grass. I also use my MMM to blow leaves off of the grass. Can this be accomplished with a flail mower? I have seen them in a side venting version.
    Flails tend to dump the grass right where it is cut. They don't really discharge to the side at all and only a little way backwards.

    Regarding speed: I mow grass at the same speed as with a finish or bush hog mower. Seems operator comfort on bumpy pastures is the limiting factor for me.

  9. #39
    Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15,368
    Location
    Prudence Island, RI
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

    Default Re: Let's talk flail mowers

    Quote Originally Posted by midcarolina
    I have an older Ford flail I picked up real cheap cause the prevoius owner beat the living snot out of the knives on rock riddled land.

    If memory serves there are about 200 knives on this particular model.

    You may want to consider pricing replacement knives before making your dicision on the mower to purchase. Some of the replacement knives are expensive.
    Yeah, replacing 200 knives could be a chore. My flail has only 56 knives so it seems a managable task to me.

  10. #40
    Super Member greg_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,984
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

    Default Re: Let's talk flail mowers

    IslandTractor and I are in agreement. I have a $1700 finish mower and a $900 rotary cutter. I'm going to shop around this spring and see who'll take them both in trade for a flail

    //greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Page 4 of 156 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.