Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Silver Member mjdtexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    122
    Location
    Houston(ish) Texas
    Tractor
    Case IH 1140 (first tractor ever)

    Default Questions about attachments

    When one has bought himself an old Ford 8n or a Case 1140 and he wants attachments does one have to get one made by that tractor maker? Or, are attachments sort of universal ifin you stay in the correct implement class?

    Please be aware that I am NEW to tractors (currently trying to decide between a Ford 8n and a Case 1140---so far) and I am probably going to need things explained in detail if very techinical. I
    Case IH 1140 purchased on 10-22-2008
    First tractor ever and I will be asking alot of questions

  2. #2
    Gold Member digger2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    265
    Location
    n.e. pa.(lycoming co.)
    Tractor
    kubota B26 TLB,former B7610 owner

    Default Re: Questions about attachments

    I dont know what class attachment the Ford or the Case you are looking at have(prob. a Cat. 1) but if they do,just about any Catagory 1 attachment should fit.
    Example-Over the weekend i lent my neighbor my King Kutter boxblade
    to do his driveway.His tractor is a 1967 Oliver 550 I beleive.My tractor is a 2007 kubota B26.Japanese tractor vs. American, 40 years difference and guess what?It still fit with no modification because they are both catagory 1 hitch tractors.Great is'nt it?
    There could be exceptions to the rule,i dont know.But to the best of my knowledge,a cat. 1 is a cat. 1 and a cat. 2 is a cat. 2. If its the same catagory,it should interchange regardless of the manufacturer.
    digger2
    Kubota B26 TLB
    Ex Wives.....Ahhhh,the memories

  3. #3
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    133
    Location
    NEK Vermont
    Tractor
    '49 Ford 8N & '08 Kubota L3400

    Default Re: Questions about attachments

    Both use standard Category 1 attachments (had to Google the Case)

    An 8N was my first tractor, still have it. A good, though basic, starter tractor.

  4. #4
    Silver Member mjdtexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    122
    Location
    Houston(ish) Texas
    Tractor
    Case IH 1140 (first tractor ever)

    Default Re: Questions about attachments

    Quote Originally Posted by digger2 View Post
    I dont know what class attachment the Ford or the Case you are looking at have(prob. a Cat. 1) but if they do,just about any Catagory 1 attachment should fit.
    Example-Over the weekend i lent my neighbor my King Kutter boxblade
    to do his driveway.His tractor is a 1967 Oliver 550 I beleive.My tractor is a 2007 kubota B26.Japanese tractor vs. American, 40 years difference and guess what?It still fit with no modification because they are both catagory 1 hitch tractors.Great is'nt it?
    There could be exceptions to the rule,i dont know.But to the best of my knowledge,a cat. 1 is a cat. 1 and a cat. 2 is a cat. 2. If its the same catagory,it should interchange regardless of the manufacturer.
    digger2
    -


    Quote Originally Posted by TDVT View Post
    Both use standard Category 1 attachments (had to Google the Case)

    An 8N was my first tractor, still have it. A good, though basic, starter tractor.
    Thank Yall both. I do appreciate yalls knowledge
    Case IH 1140 purchased on 10-22-2008
    First tractor ever and I will be asking alot of questions

  5. #5
    Platinum Member JDeerekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    877
    Location
    P-Town, Upstate New York
    Tractor
    Montana 4340C w/Loader, JD GX345 w/54in. mower

    Default Re: Questions about attachments

    They both are Cat I hitches. You dont have to get brand specific equipment any cat I equipment will work.
    A list of equipment you can use:
    brush hog - 5'
    rear blade - 5' -7'
    plow - 2 bottom 12"
    finish mower - 5' or 6'
    post hole digger - any
    disk - 5' - 7' depending on soil conditions
    tiller - not recommended becuase of ground vs. pto speed

    Also any PTO equipment you use you should definately use a over running clutch which has been said before.

    So on average you can use anything fro 5-7 ft wide. If you are not sure just ask that is what this site is for.
    Montana 4340C w/loader, AgroTrend FU78 rear snowblower with hydraulic shute rotation, Horst 48" pallet forks, 3pt. 2-bottom plow, 6ft. bush hog rotarty cutter, 3pt. Woods 7ft back blade, 3pt. cultivator, 5ft 3pt. york rake, 6' KKII tiller, JD494 4-row planter. Future attachments: backhoe, grapple

  6. #6
    Silver Member mjdtexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    122
    Location
    Houston(ish) Texas
    Tractor
    Case IH 1140 (first tractor ever)

    Default Re: Questions about attachments

    Quote Originally Posted by JDeerekid View Post
    They both are Cat I hitches. You dont have to get brand specific equipment any cat I equipment will work.
    A list of equipment you can use:
    brush hog - 5'
    rear blade - 5' -7'
    plow - 2 bottom 12"
    finish mower - 5' or 6'
    post hole digger - any
    disk - 5' - 7' depending on soil conditions
    tiller - not recommended becuase of ground vs. pto speed

    Also any PTO equipment you use you should definately use a over running clutch which has been said before.

    So on average you can use anything fro 5-7 ft wide. If you are not sure just ask that is what this site is for.

    Thank You Sir. Great Site
    Case IH 1140 purchased on 10-22-2008
    First tractor ever and I will be asking alot of questions

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Rara Avis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,023
    Location
    USA
    Tractor
    John Deere

    Default Re: Questions about attachments

    Quote Originally Posted by jawz2700 View Post
    Hi
    Just remember that it is very handy to have some sort of a quick attach system to interchange attachments. that may not be of interest to you, but worthy consideration.
    by the way,
    check out our website for a great attachment for land clearing.

    Star Hill JAWZ

    thanks
    john lyddon

    Three posts on three threads all pitching your product...plan on a visit from the BOSS about advertising on TBN...

  8. #8
    Platinum Member JDeerekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    877
    Location
    P-Town, Upstate New York
    Tractor
    Montana 4340C w/Loader, JD GX345 w/54in. mower

    Default Re: Questions about attachments

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulChristenson View Post
    Three posts on three threads all pitching your product...plan on a visit from the BOSS about advertising on TBN...

    What post. I dont see no post.
    Montana 4340C w/loader, AgroTrend FU78 rear snowblower with hydraulic shute rotation, Horst 48" pallet forks, 3pt. 2-bottom plow, 6ft. bush hog rotarty cutter, 3pt. Woods 7ft back blade, 3pt. cultivator, 5ft 3pt. york rake, 6' KKII tiller, JD494 4-row planter. Future attachments: backhoe, grapple

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Rara Avis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,023
    Location
    USA
    Tractor
    John Deere

    Default Re: Questions about attachments

    Quote Originally Posted by JDeerekid View Post
    What post. I dont see no post.
    Nevermind...

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    6,548

    Default Re: Questions about attachments

    The older tractors may have an odd sized PTO shaft. There are adaptors you can get, but those can add alignment problems depending on the length of the pto shaft.

    If you move up from the 1950's to a tractor from the 1970's you won't pay much more, but will get a LOT of better features. Like rear axle lock, more gears, better engines, stronger hydraulics, etc. I would target a ford 2000, 3000 or 4000 series with the 3 cylinder diesel engine.

    jb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.