Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Veteran Member Luremaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,250
    Location
    Ontario
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18

    Default Used Cole Corn Planter

    Found this cole corn planter for sale on-line. I have never seen one like it before. Anyone know how well they work?


  2. #2
    Gold Member nunyabinis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    319
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Tractor
    Deere

    Default Re: Used Cole Corn Planter

    That's a 12 MX. Works great. Only planter my family has ever used.


    http://www.coleplanter.com/12mx.htm



    .

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Luremaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,250
    Location
    Ontario
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18

    Default Re: Used Cole Corn Planter

    Quote Originally Posted by nunyabinis View Post
    That's a 12 MX. Works great. Only planter my family has ever used.


    Cole Planter Company: 12 MX Multiflex Feature Diagram



    .

    Thanks for the link and info!!

    Steve

  4. #4
    New Member jondory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Tractor
    MF281, IH1086, TC45DA, JD B

    Default Re: Used Cole Corn Planter

    I've been in the market for two of these planters... they work great for Pumpkins too. Any use 12MX's out there?

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Luremaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,250
    Location
    Ontario
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18

    Default Re: Used Cole Corn Planter

    I purchased the Cole 12 MX planter. It came with a pumpkin plate and a corn plate. I'll be giving it a try on Saturday planting corn and in June pumpkins.

    How do you guys keep your rows straight and evenly spaced when planting with a single row planter?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    40
    Location
    Virginia
    Tractor
    JD 5203 w/510 loader

    Default Re: Used Cole Corn Planter

    I have a Cole 12MX one-row planter, but I mount it off-center behind the tractor. After planting the first row, I turn around and put my tires in exactly the same tracks I just made - planting in the opposite direction. Since the planter is off-center, it plants a second row between my tire tracks. It's like having a two-row planter, except I have to make two passes instead of one.

    After the second pass, I start a new row by putting one side of the tractor tires in the outside track I just finished. At the end of this third row, I turn around and drive back in the same tracks. I follow this same pattern until I've finished planting.

    Getting the first row straight is important. After that, the only skill required is keeping the tractor tires aligned in the tracks from previous passes.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Luremaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,250
    Location
    Ontario
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18

    Default Re: Used Cole Corn Planter

    Quote Originally Posted by PM1 View Post
    I have a Cole 12MX one-row planter, but I mount it off-center behind the tractor. After planting the first row, I turn around and put my tires in exactly the same tracks I just made - planting in the opposite direction. Since the planter is off-center, it plants a second row between my tire tracks. It's like having a two-row planter, except I have to make two passes instead of one.

    After the second pass, I start a new row by putting one side of the tractor tires in the outside track I just finished. At the end of this third row, I turn around and drive back in the same tracks. I follow this same pattern until I've finished planting.

    Getting the first row straight is important. After that, the only skill required is keeping the tractor tires aligned in the tracks from previous passes.
    Thanks for the tip. That actually makes it easier than I thought it was going to be.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Luremaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,250
    Location
    Ontario
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18

    Default Re: Used Cole Corn Planter

    After spending a few hours taking apart the seized main drive bearing the planter worked like a charm. I planted a acre of sweet corn. The 12MX spaced the seed an even 8 inches apart. I tried it both with and without the gage wheel. Worked much better with the gage wheel in freshly tilled soil. I really like the fertilizer side dresser.

    I'll plant my pumpkins and squash next weekend once the soil warms a little more. I am now on the lookout for a second MX 12 to make a 2 row planter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -cole-12mx-planter-jpg   -cole-12mx-2-jpg  

  9. #9
    Bronze Member Coolnorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    94
    Location
    Dryden, Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    Massey Harris Model 20

    Default Re: Used Cole Corn Planter

    Hey, that looks great! It looks so small behind the tractor, but a double row planter, that will look shizzle!

    Graham
    1947 Massey Harris Model 20
    1945 Massey Harris Disc Harrow (single)
    1938 Massey Harris Model 26 plow
    1941 Fairbanks Morse Z series engine
    1960's New Idea Model 251 Sickle Mower
    1960's John Deere 894A Side Delivery Rake

    I knew there was still some Manitoba mud in me

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Luremaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,250
    Location
    Ontario
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18

    Default Re: Used Cole Corn Planter

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolnorth View Post
    Hey, that looks great! It looks so small behind the tractor, but a double row planter, that will look shizzle!

    Graham
    It does look pretty small back there! I thought the same thing after putting in on the kubota. I'll put it on my TC18 where it will look larger.

    Graham, is your land drying up any? They are calling for some rain here tonight and tomorrow. Perfect timing for my corn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.