Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    114
    Location
    Northern VA
    Tractor
    Kubota 3540

    Default how do I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?

    I'm a little new at this, so please forgive me if I get some of the terms wrong.

    I bought a used 5 foot rotary cutter for my new kubota 3540. I'm really slow at hooking up 3 pt implements so I want to use one of those 3 point quick links on the lift arms. The problem is that with the extra 4 inches, my PTO shaft is too short (I read I should have something like 4 inches minimum overlap on the shaft?)

    So I want to buy a longer PTO shaft (I think this one is a little dinged anyway, because it gets jammed when fully closed).

    The problem is that my PTO shaft does not have a (male) spline attachment at the mower end; the shaft is attached (welded) directly to a yoke. Assuming I can get a replacement PTO that is attached to a yoke, I can't figure out how to remove the one I have from the mower. I looked in TSC at some yokes and they seem to have an e-clip to remove the yoke from the cross shaped greasable joint (name?) that connects the two yokes together (the one on the PTO shaft and the one on the mower).

    Mine does not have any kind of e-clip; the greasable cross shaped joint fits smoothly into the yoke. How do I remove it?

    I realize an alternative might be to get a PTO shaft extender, but I can't find one long enough that has a spring pin to hold it in place on the tractor end -- the only ones I found have an unthreaded hole, but my PTO shaft on the tractor doesn't have a hole.

    I hope that makes sense!

  2. #2
    Elite Member kebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,781
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

    Default Re: how do I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?

    Some pictures would help to better understand the problem, at least I would like to see some. As best as I can follow what you are saying, it sounds like someone got tired of replacing shearbolts and just welded the PTO shaft right onto the input of the mower gearbox? Or am I way off base? What kind of mower did you get, btw??

    As for adding a pats easy change, it will "move" the attachment 4" rearward from the tractor (as already you pointed out) which may necessitate making the PTO shaft longer. IF there is insufficient overlap, one option might to take the PTO shaft to a driveline shop and have them weld equal sections onto each half and make them longer so you get back some overlap.

    I have the pats easy change on my 790 and I was able to buy a 4" long PTO extension adapter that attaches directly to the output shaft on the rear of the tractor. My extension came with a roll pin for the "unthreaded hole" that you mentioned, but I just use the "spring pin".
    This worked like a charm for me and it puts the PTO shaft back into the proper length. I got mine from Agri-Supply. They have a pretty good selection of adapters and extensions, you might give them a try. Good luck!
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

    2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5 1/2ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

    It's not how slow you mow... it's how well you mow slow!!

  3. #3
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,409
    Location
    Northwest, WA

    Default Re: how do I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill333 View Post
    those 3 point quick links on the lift arms.
    There are some quick links that sit on top of the arms thus no change in drive line length is needed.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

    My Photobucket

  4. #4
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    114
    Location
    Northern VA
    Tractor
    Kubota 3540

    Default Re: how do I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?

    Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    Some pictures would help to better understand the problem, at least I would like to see some. As best as I can follow what you are saying, it sounds like someone got tired of replacing shearbolts and just welded the PTO shaft right onto the input of the mower gearbox? Or am I way off base? What kind of mower did you get, btw??!
    I've attached a picture, which hopefully gives you an idea. I had posted also a message asking whether this is unsafe -- is where it is welded where I would normally see a shear bolt?

    The mower is a Hardee. I think it is an old TSC brand? Or just a brand they sold.

    Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    As for adding a pats easy change, it will "move" the attachment 4" rearward from the tractor (as already you pointed out) which may necessitate making the PTO shaft longer. IF there is insufficient overlap, one option might to take the PTO shaft to a driveline shop and have them weld equal sections onto each half and make them longer so you get back some overlap.

    I have the pats easy change on my 790 and I was able to buy a 4" long PTO extension adapter that attaches directly to the output shaft on the rear of the tractor. My extension came with a roll pin for the "unthreaded hole" that you mentioned, but I just use the "spring pin".
    This worked like a charm for me and it puts the PTO shaft back into the proper length. I got mine from Agri-Supply. They have a pretty good selection of adapters and extensions, you might give them a try. Good luck!
    Did you buy the spring pin separately? I could not find any extension at agrisupply that came with one (except the 3 inch, which is too short). -- unless they come with the pin and just don't say on the website.

    No driveline shops around here unfortunately! Or even anyone with a welder that I know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how do  I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?-rotarymower1074notes-jpg  

  5. #5
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    114
    Location
    Northern VA
    Tractor
    Kubota 3540

    Default Re: how do I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post
    There are some quick links that sit on top of the arms thus no change in drive line length is needed.
    do you happen to know the brand? The one I have I'm not crazy about and would buy another..something like you suggest sounds great

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    23
    Location
    Broadway, Va
    Tractor
    Kubota L4330

    Default Re: how do I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?

    Hope this helps..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how do  I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?-rotarymower1074notes-jpg  

  7. #7
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    114
    Location
    Northern VA
    Tractor
    Kubota 3540

    Default Re: how do I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?

    really helpful, thanks. I assume that the 'slip clutch' is instead of shear bolts? In other words it protects my tractor PTO drive if I hit something?

  8. #8
    Elite Member kebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,781
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

    Default Re: how do I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill333 View Post
    really helpful, thanks. I assume that the 'slip clutch' is instead of shear bolts? In other words it protects my tractor PTO drive if I hit something?
    Correct, it allows the PTO to continue rotating at 540rpm when/if your blades hit something "immoveable" that causes them to slow down. The slipclutch helps reduce driveline shock from being transmitted up into the PTO gears and potentially doing serious damage to them. My International IM502 mower has a slipclutch that is bolted to the gearbox on the mower. It doesn't come off easily, but can be unbolted if need be. I've never had the need to remove it, every other attachment I have (that runs off the PTO) has its own PTO shaft.

    The 4" PTO extension adapter that I bought from Agri-Supply came with the spring-loaded clip on it. The rollpin that came with it is for those that want to attach it to the PTO output shaft on the tractor in a semi-permanent fashion. I can look up the model number of the one I bought if it will help you. If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll try and add a picture of the 4" extension I have on my PTO shaft.

    Here is a picture of my slipclutch:

    Last edited by kebo; 08-26-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: add picture
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

    2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5 1/2ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

    It's not how slow you mow... it's how well you mow slow!!

  9. #9
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,409
    Location
    Northwest, WA

    Default Re: how do I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill333 View Post
    do you happen to know the brand? The one I have I'm not crazy about and would buy another..something like you suggest sounds great
    Ez-Hitch.
    Last edited by Willl; 02-03-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

    My Photobucket

  10. #10
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    114
    Location
    Northern VA
    Tractor
    Kubota 3540

    Default Re: how do I remove a PTO shaft/yoke assembly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post
    Ez-Hitch.
    Thanks, that looks perfect. Be cheaper to buy this even though I already have a quick hitch, since I wouldn't have to deal with a longer shaft, etc. Excellent!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2017 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.