Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    531
    Location
    KS.
    Tractor
    Case 1845C skidsteer

    Default Re: John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions

    I live in KS. and the use of liquid fertilizer has become pretty prevalent . I just use a 15 gallon 12 volt sprayer with the appropriate orifices for fertilizer. Need to be able to control ground speed application rate (orifice size) If expense get out of hand on your 246 hoppers an etc. get out of hand a look at liquid fertilizer might be in order.

    My biggest issue is finding someone who will sell me the small quantities that I need. Most of the time I buy leftover from the farmers.

  2. #12
    Veteran Member Luremaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,250
    Location
    Ontario
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18

    Default Re: John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jbooth View Post
    I live in KS. and the use of liquid fertilizer has become pretty prevalent . I just use a 15 gallon 12 volt sprayer with the appropriate orifices for fertilizer. Need to be able to control ground speed application rate (orifice size) If expense get out of hand on your 246 hoppers an etc. get out of hand a look at liquid fertilizer might be in order.

    My biggest issue is finding someone who will sell me the small quantities that I need. Most of the time I buy leftover from the farmers.
    Hi Jim, I do not want to hijack the OP's post but I was thinking of trying liquid fertilizer next summer. I picked up this old 7 row 71 a few weeks back and it is set up with a manifold and tubes to spray phosphate right in with the seed. The fellow I purchased it from said he used it with corn and soybeans for years with this setup. Thought some would find this setup simple and helpful for liquid fertilizer.



    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -liquidfertmanifold-jpg   -liquidfertmanifold2-jpg  

  3. #13
    Advertiser sweettractors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,205
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

    Default Re: John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Luremaker View Post
    Ken, it's really great that you are always helping posters on tbn solve their problems. I hate to criticize, but I think you should consider updating your digital camera because your pictures are never very clear.
    It is not the camera, It is the resolution we have it set at. We send out hundreds of pictures a week of implements and most of the time each email will have 4-5-6 pictures in it. If we go any higher on the resolution setting, it locks a lot of customers email in boxes up. Not everyone has a high speed connection to the internet. Sorta have to split the difference in picture quality. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

    Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

    Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

  4. #14
    Veteran Member Luremaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,250
    Location
    Ontario
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18

    Default Re: John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by sweettractors View Post
    It is not the camera, It is the resolution we have it set at. We send out hundreds of pictures a week of implements and most of the time each email will have 4-5-6 pictures in it. If we go any higher on the resolution setting, it locks a lot of customers email in boxes up. Not everyone has a high speed connection to the internet. Sorta have to split the difference in picture quality. Ken Sweet
    Ken...shoot the picture in high res and reduce the image size with an image editor and you'll be left with a much higher quality image to send to your customers without taking any more space in mailboxes. May increase $ales as well.

  5. #15
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    531
    Location
    KS.
    Tractor
    Case 1845C skidsteer

    Default Re: John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Luremaker View Post
    Hi Jim, I do not want to hijack the OP's post but I was thinking of trying liquid fertilizer next summer. I picked up this old 7 row 71 a few weeks back and it is set up with a manifold and tubes to spray phosphate right in with the seed. The fellow I purchased it from said he used it with corn and soybeans for years with this setup. Thought some would find this setup simple and helpful for liquid fertilizer.



    Yes, looks good. Mine is a little simpler as I only use a 1 row planter. Some care needs to be used when adding fertilizer in furrow with seed as some fertilizer will burn seed. Bigger tank than my 15 gallon would be in order for 7 rower.

  6. #16
    Advertiser sweettractors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,205
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

    Default Re: John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Luremaker View Post
    Ken...shoot the picture in high res and reduce the image size with an image editor and you'll be left with a much higher quality image to send to your customers without taking any more space in mailboxes. May increase $ales as well.
    WE already do the image reduction and if I go any smaller, My over 60 customers probably won't be able to see it real good. I actually have lots of emails sent in here in 24 case size letters in the body of the emails. Old camera has logged about 10 Mil in sales, so I will stick with her a little longer. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

    Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

    Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Luremaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,250
    Location
    Ontario
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18

    Default Re: John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jbooth View Post
    Yes, looks good. Mine is a little simpler as I only use a 1 row planter. Some care needs to be used when adding fertilizer in furrow with seed as some fertilizer will burn seed. Bigger tank than my 15 gallon would be in order for 7 rower.
    I bought this 7 row planter for the tool bar. I'll never use a 7 row planter for the 2 acres of corn I plant. I'll put my already refurbished 2-row 71's on this tool bar after I cut it down.

  8. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    12
    Tractor
    Farmall M

    Default Re: John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions

    Thanks for the help everyone. Sweet I will shoot you an email in the next day or two.

  9. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    10
    Tractor
    JD 7400, 5410, Kubota B8200

    Default Re: John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jbooth View Post
    According to my info your 246 planter uses the same planter plates as the ones listed below. Generally there are quite a few plates listed on E-Bay with the 71 being the most common. With the right plates you will be able to plant most anything. JD has a good parts listing with schematics on their website. The website is a bit tricky to use, but, if I can do it, anyone can.

    John Deere - Parts Catalog



    MODEL #
    71
    246
    290
    446
    490
    494
    1240
    494A
    495A
    Your right about JD parts listing being tricky. I got all of the diagrams etc except the plates info I need. I'm trying to determine which plate will work with today's field & sweet corn seed. I think the problem is the plates I have will not drop seed on a regular interval. They did work for sunflowers although planted them to thick. The range sprocket was in high, low should be better. Lincoln Ag says they have plates for 246's but they can't tell me which one's plant which seed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

  10. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    10
    Tractor
    JD 7400, 5410, Kubota B8200

    Default Re: John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions

    How have you been making out w/ your JD 246 planting field & sweet corn? Mine will not drop corn seed regularly. I think it is the plates but I do not have a manual yet to resolve. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. John Deere Noise Canceling Headphones
    By Fug1000 in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 10:57 PM
  2. Dealer Another Deere dealership pulled
    By dgl24087 in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 08:36 AM
  3. Kubota B3030HSDCC cab or John Deere 3720 cab? Please help!
    By FRIZ in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM
  4. John Deere, how did you make my tractor?
    By JohnMiller3 in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2001, 05:23 PM
  5. JOHN DEERE GATOR - A POTENTIAL FIRE HAZARD
    By Anonymous Poster in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2001, 06:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.