Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 110
  1. #51
    Super Member LD1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,980
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

    Default Re: grapple not what they said !

    I am a bit late to this thread, but I see you have decided to keep it.

    That is probabally a good call. I dont know how much other grapples cost, but if yours is indeed made entirely out of T1 steel, you should have no issues at all.

    T1 is also know as A514 steel. You can google that if you want. But the 3/8 A514 is a significant bit stronger than even 1/2" A36 mild steel that most other grapples are probabally built from.

    Mild steel has a 60ksi-80ksi tensil and only a 36ksi yield strength. A514 tensil and yeild is BOTH in the 110ksi range That makes it VERY tough, it is NOT brittle, and it is very abrasion resistant.

    Some common uses are bridges and cranes (for the strength) and dozer blades and BH buckets for wear resistance. A514 is used because a smaller dimension of steel can be used and still be just as strong. Thus saving weight.

    My only concern is that if it is indeed made all from A514, it should be welded with a 110 series filler. Like a 11018 rod and not 7018. Or a ER110 wire for mig.

    It can be welded with the weaker filler, and it wont cause any issues with the A514, just note that the welds will be weaker than the parent metal. Probabally not an issue on your grapple thought. Because the way most stuff is designed, the welds dont have to have 100% of the strength. Other parts will bend/break first due to leverage and the way things are designed.


    Do you have any pics BTW, or did I miss them?
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."


    Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

  2. #52
    Gold Member brewdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    399
    Location
    NW PA
    Tractor
    NH 3040

    Default Re: grapple not what they said !

    Quote Originally Posted by First one View Post
    I'm going to do what brewdog did for the top jaw, on his ,he had some triangular web pieces cut and welded in. I can see that yes it would have been nice to have had it made out of 1/2" T-1 but I'd lost a lot in what I could lift. I still think that it just needs a few tweaks to it and it will be everything I need in a grapple.
    First One,

    I took a couple photos of my Grapple with the modifications tonight for you. I should of posted these sooner, but I had to go to the cold Barn and I've down with a nasty cold. I can pick up one inch twig with my grapple or a 1000+ pound boulder. The lower reinforcing plates are cut to go back to the main square tube cross member and fully welded all the way around. You can see I've been using mine all last fall and haven't had one bend at all. Hope this helps you out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0811-jpg   -img_0813-jpg   -img_0810-jpg   -img_0807-jpg  

  3. #53
    Gold Member First one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    339
    Location
    Eastbrook, ME.
    Tractor
    08' Kubota L3240 HST /cab

    Default Re: grapple not what they said !

    Quote Originally Posted by brewdog View Post
    First One,

    I took a couple photos of my Grapple with the modifications tonight for you. I should of posted these sooner, but I had to go to the cold Barn and I've down with a nasty cold. I can pick up one inch twig with my grapple or a 1000+ pound boulder. The lower reinforcing plates are cut to go back to the main square tube cross member and fully welded all the way around. You can see I've been using mine all last fall and haven't had one bend at all. Hope this helps you out.
    Was your grapple 3/8" or made out of 1/2" ? I'd like to think that I can get mine welded up so it won't bend thanks for the pic's I'm going to try and do something like that. Hope you kick tha cold soo, and thanks again.

  4. #54
    Gold Member brewdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    399
    Location
    NW PA
    Tractor
    NH 3040

    Default Re: grapple not what they said !

    Quote Originally Posted by First one View Post
    Was your grapple 3/8" or made out of 1/2" ? I'd like to think that I can get mine welded up so it won't bend thanks for the pic's I'm going to try and do something like that. Hope you kick tha cold soo, and thanks again.
    First One,

    Mine was made out of 3/8" steel. It's plenty beefy everywhere else except the tine tips, they see enormous stress from the weight of the logs, especially when you are pulling a log sideways with the tractor. Good luck and stay healthy.

  5. #55
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,138
    Location
    East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar___
    Tractor
    Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB

    Default Re: grapple not what they said !

    Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    I am a bit late to this thread, but I see you have decided to keep it.

    That is probabally a good call. I dont know how much other grapples cost, but if yours is indeed made entirely out of T1 steel, you should have no issues at all.

    T1 is also know as A514 steel. You can google that if you want. But the 3/8 A514 is a significant bit stronger than even 1/2" A36 mild steel that most other grapples are probabally built from.

    Mild steel has a 60ksi-80ksi tensil and only a 36ksi yield strength. A514 tensil and yeild is BOTH in the 110ksi range That makes it VERY tough, it is NOT brittle, and it is very abrasion resistant.

    Some common uses are bridges and cranes (for the strength) and dozer blades and BH buckets for wear resistance. A514 is used because a smaller dimension of steel can be used and still be just as strong. Thus saving weight.

    My only concern is that if it is indeed made all from A514, it should be welded with a 110 series filler. Like a 11018 rod and not 7018. Or a ER110 wire for mig.

    It can be welded with the weaker filler, and it wont cause any issues with the A514, just note that the welds will be weaker than the parent metal. Probabally not an issue on your grapple thought. Because the way most stuff is designed, the welds dont have to have 100% of the strength. Other parts will bend/break first due to leverage and the way things are designed.


    Do you have any pics BTW, or did I miss them?
    LD1,

    I always read and appreciate your experience and comments. Got into Dolmar (Makita) saws because of you, too.
    I sold my Titan grapple because of poor workmanship and will look for the lighter/stronger A514 steel version instead of 1/2" mild so I get strength and less weight penalty.

  6. #56
    Super Member LD1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,980
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

    Default Re: grapple not what they said !

    Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    LD1,

    I always read and appreciate your experience and comments. Got into Dolmar (Makita) saws because of you, too.
    I sold my Titan grapple because of poor workmanship and will look for the lighter/stronger A514 steel version instead of 1/2" mild so I get strength and less weight penalty.
    Thanks for the kind words. You certainly didnt go wrong with your saw choices How many are you up to now? Still just the two 6400's?

    Did you ever get that echo 670, or did you just put a 24" on one of the 6400's?

    A514 (T1) is definatally a lot stronger than mild steel. Just be prepared for the price so you dont go into sticker shock. That stuff aint cheap.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."


    Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

  7. #57
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,080
    Location
    VA
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

    Default Re: grapple not what they said !

    Quote Originally Posted by First one View Post
    Ok , this is what happened, I bought a grapple on line and when it got here it wasn't what they said it was. They said it was made out of 1/2" T-1 steel . The weight of it is 600lbs.
    Well, when it showed up it was made out of 3/8" steel, if it's T-1 I have no idea .
    I called them up and asked about it , they said it was a mistake in the add and that they felt bad about it and would return $75 . That they don't make it in 1/2" only 3/8" .
    The thing is I like the way it's put together even though it still is 600lbs. What do you think about 3/8" instead of 1/2" I only have the kubota L3240 with the 724 loader so it's not really that big of a tractor . I spent $1,375 for it and can't spend anymore than that on one .
    So would you return it or not ? I don't want something I'm going to be bending up all the time. I've never used one but only once and wouldn't know if it would hold up. thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    If you have a grapple competently made out of T-1 steel it could be a fine item. That is hi strength steel. The strength will make up for the thinner metal everywhere except the projected part of the tines. If well done these will have some evident side bracing to prevent breakage at their root. If it is indeed T-1, and done well, it is a lightweight but strong grapple. Many times, excess implement weight on a loader is a liability.
    larry
    Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    LD1,

    I always read and appreciate your experience and comments. Got into Dolmar (Makita) saws because of you, too.
    I sold my Titan grapple because of poor workmanship and will look for the lighter/stronger A514 steel version instead of 1/2" mild so I get strength and less weight penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. You certainly didnt go wrong with your saw choices How many are you up to now? Still just the two 6400's?

    Did you ever get that echo 670, or did you just put a 24" on one of the 6400's?

    A514 (T1) is definatally a lot stronger than mild steel. Just be prepared for the price so you dont go into sticker shock. That stuff aint cheap.
    If OPs grapple is T-1 I think he got a real good price.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

  8. #58
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,138
    Location
    East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar___
    Tractor
    Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB

    Default Re: grapple not what they said !

    Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. You certainly didnt go wrong with your saw choices How many are you up to now? Still just the two 6400's?

    Did you ever get that echo 670, or did you just put a 24" on one of the 6400's?

    A514 (T1) is definatally a lot stronger than mild steel. Just be prepared for the price so you dont go into sticker shock. That stuff aint cheap.
    I have 2 of the Makita 6400's, (1) with 20" and (1) with 24" and (1) Echo 670 w/ 24".
    All of them run far better than I expected. Would like to make one a 28" saw, but can't decide which one.

    I too was impressed with a lot of the attachments from Wildkat and look forward to buying from them

  9. #59
    Super Member LD1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,980
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

    Default Re: grapple not what they said !

    Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    I have 2 of the Makita 6400's, (1) with 20" and (1) with 24" and (1) Echo 670 w/ 24".
    All of them run far better than I expected. Would like to make one a 28" saw, but can't decide which one.

    I too was impressed with a lot of the attachments from Wildkat and look forward to buying from them
    Kinda off topic, and hijacking, and in the wrong forum section, but......

    Hows the echo 670 compared to the 6400's?

    Always heard good of the echos, just that they are a tad slower.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."


    Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

  10. #60
    Super Member LD1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,980
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

    Default Re: grapple not what they said !

    Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    If OPs grapple is T-1 I think he got a real good price.
    larry
    Agreed.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."


    Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. It's Grapple Time
    By M59 Jim in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 12:56 PM
  2. Grapple HD grapple shopping advice needed
    By ManAtArms in forum Attachments
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-15-2010, 08:19 AM
  3. Thumb Please Help.....Grapple or Thumb?
    By trook in forum Attachments
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-15-2010, 03:02 AM
  4. Grapple Help me choose a bolt on bucket grapple
    By firefighter9208 in forum Attachments
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 06:37 AM
  5. Grapple root grapple: bradco vs. loflin
    By psuedofarmer in forum Attachments
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 10:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.