Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Elite Member Piston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,658
    Location
    Central MA, Lakes Region NH
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

    Default Heavy Duty Rotary Mower options on the used market???

    I have been scouring craigslist for a good deal on some used implements. Mainly I'm looking for a heavy duty brush hog, but I also like to look for other implements, to possibly replace my lighter duty equipment with the heavy duty stuff.

    I am a firm believer that I want the heavies duty equipment my tractor can handle, without breaking my tractor of course.

    I get confused sometimes about the model designations. I know for Land Pride, any implement that has a "35" in the beginning of it is their heavy duty line, and "25" is medium duty, and "15" is the lighter duty. Therefor I know to search for something beginning with "35" when looking at Land Pride equipment. However, I believe their rotary cutters are different. I think the RCR 2672 is their heavy duty version? Is that correct?

    What about Woods? I believe for their rotary mowers (6' for example) their models are BB72 for light duty, 720 for medium duty, and 7200 for heavy duty. Is that correct for all their implements?

    How about other manufacturers? Specifically heavy duty model rotary cutters.

    I do know that my dream cutter is a Bush Hog 406. This is the one I would buy tomorrow if I had the money to spend.
    Okay I know it's a little weird that I have a "dream" brush hog, but I do, so deal with it

    Is a Bush Hog 406 a little too much for my tractor? Or do you think I could handle it just fine? I worry about the weight hanging off the back of the tractor when I have it raised up in the air. I worry that the top link would have too much stress on it with a super heavy mower like that?

    I see some Bush Hog 306 for sale once in a while, is this just the former version of the 406 or is it lighter duty?

    I'm looking for the heaviest duty, longest lasting, buy once and be done with it 6' brush hog I can find.

    What are some other manufacturers "heavy duty" model designations? Both new and used?

    Am I correct in assuming that a Land Pride RCR 2672, Bush Hog 406, and Woods 7200 are all for the most part equal? And all truly heavy duty?

    One of the reasons I want the heaviest duty Hog I can get away with, is because in a couple of years I intend to upgrade my tractor to a cab tractor, and very possibly go up a size, if nothing else something with more horsepower, and I'd like to be able to continue using the same mower with the new tractor.

    Sorry for the long winded post.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

  2. #2
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    834
    Location
    Northern Alabama
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45SE, 1994 JD LX176

    Default Re: Heavy Duty Rotary Mower options on the used market???

    I've just gone through the exercise of attempting to decide just how heavy a rotary cutter I want for a new Kioti DK45SE (36 pto hp). For this size tractor, a 6' mower that weighs about 1300 lbs is a bit heavy, imho - kinda like the tail wagging the dog. And the Kioti is a significantly heavier tractor than a kubota L4610. I finally decided on a Woods BB72X with safety chains front and rear, which has a shipping weight of about 920 lbs, and is recommended for tractors up to 65 pto hp. The BB720X equipped the same way has a shipping weight of about 1325 lbs.

    I had been advised to go with a medium duty mower, but what I found was that Woods', Rhino's, and Land Pride's mowers of the BB72X class were about the same weight as a medium duty mower by many other manufacturers, such as King Kutter, Kodiak, etc. Yoour operator's manual should suggest what weight mower would be recommended for your tractor; if not, your dealer should be able to get you that information.

    Good luck in your mower purchase.

  3. #3
    Elite Member Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,043
    Location
    South West MI
    Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

    Default Re: Heavy Duty Rotary Mower options on the used market???

    You are correct on the Woods designations 72 lightest to 7200 Heaviest.

    I think a 406 Bush Hog would be overkill. I would look at the Bush Hog 286 or 296. I really like the clean top deck of the 296.

    Landpride also has a 36 series heavier yet, 26 series is heavy duty, 36 series is super heavy duty.

    Rhino also makes some really HD machines. Look at the 272 or for overkill "dream mower" 472

    I think there are Light duty, Medium duty, Heavy duty and Super Heavy duty.

    The Bush Hog 406, Landpride 36 series and Rhino 472 would fall in Super Heavy duty. Overkill in my opinion.

    I would look at Medium duty for your HP. If you had more HP or were planning on moving up to more HP look at Heavy duty.

    Check manufactures websites for all their options. They list weights, cutting capacity, deck and side band thickness, gearbox maximum HP etc.

    Good luck in your search.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Heavy Duty Rotary Mower options on the used market???

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWannabe View Post
    I've just gone through the exercise of attempting to decide just how heavy a rotary cutter I want for a new Kioti DK45SE (36 pto hp). For this size tractor, a 6' mower that weighs about 1300 lbs is a bit heavy, imho - kinda like the tail wagging the dog. And the Kioti is a significantly heavier tractor than a kubota L4610. I finally decided on a Woods BB72X with safety chains front and rear, which has a shipping weight of about 920 lbs, and is recommended for tractors up to 65 pto hp. The BB720X equipped the same way has a shipping weight of about 1325 lbs.

    I had been advised to go with a medium duty mower, but what I found was that Woods', Rhino's, and Land Pride's mowers of the BB72X class were about the same weight as a medium duty mower by many other manufacturers, such as King Kutter, Kodiak, etc. Yoour operator's manual should suggest what weight mower would be recommended for your tractor; if not, your dealer should be able to get you that information.

    Good luck in your mower purchase.

    Have you used your 6' mower yet? If so, how did it go? I also have a DK45SE, and am looking to get a rotary mower. I was advised at the time I bought the tractor that a 6' would probably be too big, that the PTO probably would not run it consistently in anything but light cutting...that I'd be better served by going down to a 5' mower. Certainly want to get the biggest mower the tractor can run to save time, but hate to buy a 6' only to find out the tractor can't really run it.

    Thanks,
    JJ

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Jerry/MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,031
    Location
    Western Montana
    Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

    Default Re: Heavy Duty Rotary Mower options on the used market???

    Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    I have been scouring craigslist for a good deal on some used implements. Mainly I'm looking for a heavy duty brush hog, but I also like to look for other implements, to possibly replace my lighter duty equipment with the heavy duty stuff.

    I am a firm believer that I want the heavies duty equipment my tractor can handle, without breaking my tractor of course.

    I get confused sometimes about the model designations. I know for Land Pride, any implement that has a "35" in the beginning of it is their heavy duty line, and "25" is medium duty, and "15" is the lighter duty. Therefor I know to search for something beginning with "35" when looking at Land Pride equipment. However, I believe their rotary cutters are different. I think the RCR 2672 is their heavy duty version? Is that correct?

    What about Woods? I believe for their rotary mowers (6' for example) their models are BB72 for light duty, 720 for medium duty, and 7200 for heavy duty. Is that correct for all their implements?

    How about other manufacturers? Specifically heavy duty model rotary cutters.

    I do know that my dream cutter is a Bush Hog 406. This is the one I would buy tomorrow if I had the money to spend.
    Okay I know it's a little weird that I have a "dream" brush hog, but I do, so deal with it

    Is a Bush Hog 406 a little too much for my tractor? Or do you think I could handle it just fine? I worry about the weight hanging off the back of the tractor when I have it raised up in the air. I worry that the top link would have too much stress on it with a super heavy mower like that?

    I see some Bush Hog 306 for sale once in a while, is this just the former version of the 406 or is it lighter duty?

    I'm looking for the heaviest duty, longest lasting, buy once and be done with it 6' brush hog I can find.

    What are some other manufacturers "heavy duty" model designations? Both new and used?

    Am I correct in assuming that a Land Pride RCR 2672, Bush Hog 406, and Woods 7200 are all for the most part equal? And all truly heavy duty?

    One of the reasons I want the heaviest duty Hog I can get away with, is because in a couple of years I intend to upgrade my tractor to a cab tractor, and very possibly go up a size, if nothing else something with more horsepower, and I'd like to be able to continue using the same mower with the new tractor.

    Sorry for the long winded post.
    "Heavy duty" always sounds like a good idea when buying a rotary cutter but many of these units are very heavy and on a small tractor can pose some problems.
    If the unit is too heavy it can shift the combined center of gravity(cg) aft and make the front steering light or even cause the front end come off the ground. In this case you will require front ballast and a soon as you do that you have to be careful not to exceed the max allowable weight of the tractor and the stay within the axle load limits.

    So before you buy a mower, read your owners manual for the tractor you intend to use it on and pay attention to the allowable weight data. Then select a mower that will keep you within your tractor weight limits.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Tractor
    IH 454

    Default Re: Heavy Duty Rotary Mower options on the used market???

    I have a 40 pto hp IH diesel tractor and have been thinking about a Bush Hog 296. Recently requested pricing on a couple Land Pride models with similar specs. I think that either model would handle any cutting suitable to that size of tractor. If I was to pick up a higher hp tractor (85-100 hp) then I would opt for a larger cutter to cover more ground per hour, not nastier stuff. These models all are way over built for tractors in the 40-70 hp range. Rotary cutters have a difficult life and any of them will require some care, maintenance, and repair.

  7. #7
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    834
    Location
    Northern Alabama
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45SE, 1994 JD LX176

    Default Re: Heavy Duty Rotary Mower options on the used market???

    Quote Originally Posted by jj4osu View Post
    Have you used your 6' mower yet? If so, how did it go? I also have a DK45SE, and am looking to get a rotary mower. I was advised at the time I bought the tractor that a 6' would probably be too big, that the PTO probably would not run it consistently in anything but light cutting...that I'd be better served by going down to a 5' mower. Certainly want to get the biggest mower the tractor can run to save time, but hate to buy a 6' only to find out the tractor can't really run it.

    Thanks,
    JJ
    I won't have my new tractor or mower until about a year from now, the dealer is storing it for me as our new house will not be available until then and I have nowhere else to keep it or use it. But I spent weeks agonizing over what mower to get and then to size the tractor to the mower. Everyone that was advising me was telling me to go for a six foot medium duty mower for our 12 acres of grass (current hay field), that I would be unhappy with the time it would take me to mow it with a five footer. My original target was a JD MX6 or equivalent, and my dealer was pushing the Rhino 172, but also stocks the BB72X. Both these mowers seem to compare spec wise with the MX6, and I eventually settled on the Woods, partly because it was not as heavy as the Rhino, and partly because of other users' experience with it.

    The Kioti DK45SE HST Cab tractor is 36 pto hp, and I don't think I would want to go much smaller, even though the rule of thumb seems to be 5 pto hp per foot. The air conditioner will take up part of the available horsepower as well. Almost everyone I talked to was in agreement that this was the right size tractor for my use.

    For a medium duty mower, I think the tractor's weight is probably as important as the horsepower, since this is a heavy mower extending out well beyond the standard 3 point lift measurement point, which is 24" behind the hitch balls. I am also getting a quick hitch, so the center of mass on mine is probably at least 42" behind the hitch balls.

    HTH.

  8. #8
    Gold Member the6shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    455
    Location
    oklahoma
    Tractor
    MF 1643

    Default Re: Heavy Duty Rotary Mower options on the used market???

    I would not rule out other hog manufacturers, there is Modern Ag, a Frontier 2072 (they only come in green) or Howes, I have had the frontier and was a great cutter, they have the best high lift blades I have used. the Modern Ag Products are 100% U.S.A. made, All galvinized deck (underside as well as the top of the deck. I paid $1395 for mine last yr. Just have to get the chains for the back But i'll wait till the rubber guard falls apart first.
    Frontier models #'ers are light duty is 1072 and the med. is 2072
    Modern Ag products, go to their web site and they will tell you the quality.
    david

  9. #9
    Veteran Member 1bush2hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,087
    Location
    Georgia
    Tractor
    NH TN75

    Default Re: Heavy Duty Rotary Mower options on the used market???

    I purchased a Brown Mfg rotary over the HD Bush Hog and saved quite a bit of cash. Mine is a 484 and is definitely heavy duty. While the 484 might be too big for your machine. If so, maybe the 460 will work. Definitely worth checking out if you are going HD
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17)

  10. #10
    Super Star Member LD1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10,518
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

    Default Re: Heavy Duty Rotary Mower options on the used market???

    I run a 306 behind my little L3400

    It is a tad lighter than a 406, but it is still a really heavy duty cutter. 1100lbs.

    Leaving the FEL on when using it is a must. But I'm not too hilly either.

    The 306 is a solid cutter. If you happen on a good deal, dont be afraid of it. I got one for $200 about a year and a half ago.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."


    Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Heavy Duty 60" Rotary Broom
    By fitz955isprint in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 11:57 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 10:04 PM
  3. Rotary Cutter What is the best rotary cutter on the market today for the price
    By vineyardkeeper1 in forum Attachments
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 12:41 PM
  4. Heavy Duty 60" Rotary Broom
    By fitz955isprint in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
  5. Rotary Mower Confusion
    By Billy_S in forum Attachments
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 10:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.