Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    39
    Location
    Vermont
    Tractor
    Kubota L4330

    Default Brush hog adjusting questions

    Hi,

    These will be simple answers for those with experience.

    I just had a brush hog dropped off by
    My dealer and now I am trying to set it up for the tractor.
    It is a Tennessee River Implement 6' Light Duty. The owners manual is a bit less informative than I would like.

    First question; there are two blades coming off the center wheel. Should they be adjusted so they are opposite so that they form one 6' line? Right now they form a "V" with they way they are bolted to the blade bolts. That doesn't seem right.

    Second question; when I am adjusting the top link to try to level the mower it doesn't seem like I can get the front of the mower off the ground when the 3pt hitch is in float mode. Do I mow in float mode? If so, how can I get the front end to raise up a few inches to level the mower? I adjust the top link and it moves the mower linkage, but doesn't seem to raise the front of the actual mower.

    I know these are beginner questions but that's why I am here.

    Thanks for the help. The tractor is a kubota 4330 if that helps.

  2. #2
    Gold Member Mud Mechanik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    285
    Location
    Hurley, Mississippi
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1660

    Default Re: Brush hog adjusting questions

    The blades are on pivot pins and will sling out to the right position when it is spinning.
    The cutter rides on the back support wheel and should be off of the ground a little in the front, if you run in float, it will be dragging the ground.

  3. #3
    Super Star Member TripleR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    18,164
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: Brush hog adjusting questions

    Quote Originally Posted by nctacoma View Post
    Hi,

    These will be simple answers for those with experience.

    I just had a brush hog dropped off by
    My dealer and now I am trying to set it up for the tractor.
    It is a Tennessee River Implement 6' Light Duty. The owners manual is a bit less informative than I would like.

    First question; there are two blades coming off the center wheel. Should they be adjusted so they are opposite so that they form one 6' line? Right now they form a "V" with they way they are bolted to the blade bolts. That doesn't seem right.

    Second question; when I am adjusting the top link to try to level the mower it doesn't seem like I can get the front of the mower off the ground when the 3pt hitch is in float mode. Do I mow in float mode? If so, how can I get the front end to raise up a few inches to level the mower? I adjust the top link and it moves the mower linkage, but doesn't seem to raise the front of the actual mower.

    I know these are beginner questions but that's why I am here.

    Thanks for the help. The tractor is a kubota 4330 if that helps.
    Pretty much all rotary cutters will be adjusted the same. Go to the Land Pride site and download a manual for a cutter similar to yours and follow that.

    You will want to set the height with the position control on your 3PH, pick a number that puts your deck height where you want it then move your stop to that position.

    The front will be an inch or so lower in the front than back. You may need to adjust the tail wheel from how it came. The tail wheel will be touch and carrying weight when in use.

    Adjust the toplink to put the swinging link in a downward position so the deck will "float" over irregularities as the tail wheel and tractor go up or down.

    Be sure you are level side to side and use the crank on the right lift arm to do so.

    I adjust on a flat concrete deck, but level ground will do.

    You might want to do some fine tunning to get the right cut.

    There are some good threads on this with a lot of good, more detailed information. Some add chains and some even remove the top link to allow more movement; lots of opinions, mine is only one.
    "An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett

  4. #4
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    493
    Location
    Florida Ma.
    Tractor
    Ford 1720 SSS 4x4

    Default Re: Brush hog adjusting questions

    You need to install check chains to control the cut.
    These attach to each side of the mower deck and up to the side of the top link on the tractor.
    You will need to purchase small link welded chain that is sufficient to carry the weight of the front of the mower and two slotted chain hooks that attach to the side of the top link pin.
    Height and level adjustment is adjusted by the chains.
    The front should be lower than the rear by an inch or more. This reduces the HP required by preventing the mower from cutting twice.
    Particularly important in heavy rough cutting.
    Last edited by 90cummins; 06-10-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Details

  5. #5
    Super Star Member TripleR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    18,164
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: Brush hog adjusting questions

    Quote Originally Posted by 90cummins View Post
    You need to install check chains to control the cut.
    These attach to each side of the mower deck and up to the side of the top link on the tractor.
    You will need to purchase small link welded chain that is sufficient to carry the weight of the front of the mower and two slotted chain hooks that attach to the side of the top link pin.
    Height and level adjustment is adjusted by the chains.
    The front should be lower than the rear by an inch or more. This reduces the HP required by preventing the mower from cutting twice.
    Particularly important in heavy rough cutting.
    I have never needed check chains on a properly function position control.
    "An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett

  6. #6
    Super Member s219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,541
    Location
    Virginia USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3200 Deere X380 Kubota RTV-X

    Default Re: Brush hog adjusting questions

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    I have never needed check chains on a properly function position control.
    Not all tractors have position control!

  7. #7
    Super Star Member TripleR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    18,164
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: Brush hog adjusting questions

    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Not all tractors have position control!
    Don't I know it, got a couple that don't myself, that's why I specified "properly working position control".

    The OP has a kubota L30 Series which has a position control 3PH just like my L5030.
    "An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett

  8. #8
    Epic Contributor k0ua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    22,922
    Location
    Branson, Mo.
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

    Default Re: Brush hog adjusting questions

    Quote Originally Posted by nctacoma View Post
    Hi,

    These will be simple answers for those with experience.

    I just had a brush hog dropped off by
    My dealer and now I am trying to set it up for the tractor.
    It is a Tennessee River Implement 6' Light Duty. The owners manual is a bit less informative than I would like.

    First question; there are two blades coming off the center wheel. Should they be adjusted so they are opposite so that they form one 6' line? Right now they form a "V" with they way they are bolted to the blade bolts. That doesn't seem right.

    Second question; when I am adjusting the top link to try to level the mower it doesn't seem like I can get the front of the mower off the ground when the 3pt hitch is in float mode. Do I mow in float mode? If so, how can I get the front end to raise up a few inches to level the mower? I adjust the top link and it moves the mower linkage, but doesn't seem to raise the front of the actual mower.

    I know these are beginner questions but that's why I am here.

    Thanks for the help. The tractor is a kubota 4330 if that helps.

    I will put my "spin" on this. Of course the blades will sling out when under power as already noted. Now on to adjusting the mower the way you want it:

    You must have flat ground, or a flat driveway. Decide what height you want to mow. Judge this by the front edge of a blade as it comes around to the front intake area of the mower. You have position control on your tractor. so set the height of the front edge of the blade as you mowing height. set the position control level stop so that the lever cannot go any further down than what you decide. Now check the adjustment of the tail wheel it should just kiss the ground when when you lower the cutter to you chosen lower height. One assumption you are making is that "float mode" is with the position control all the way down.. the 3pt is always in "float mode" not just when all the way down. It will always float up from what ever position you have it set at. So now with you chosen mowing height. and the tail wheel set to kiss the ground, and you want the rear a little higher than the front, like has been pointed out.. check the symmetry of the mower both side to side along the centerline of the tractor, adjust your telescoping side stabilizers to allow just a little slop as you push it side to side, and centered on the tractor. Now make sure the right and left side of the of the mower are the same distance above the ground. Adjust your right lifting link to adjust this if needed. you are likely to need to raise and lower the cutter several times to check these parameters. So to sum up.. front edge of blade always coming to the height you want to cut.. Your position control is locked to this lowest setting. you mower is centered on the centerline of the tractor, the left and right side of the cutter the same distance above the ground, the rear of the mower is a little higher than the front, the tail wheel is adjusted to be on the ground and carrying a little of the weight at the height you wanted. PTO is hooked up and you are ready to attack

    James K0UA
    James K0UA

    Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .


  9. #9
    Super Star Member TripleR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    18,164
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: Brush hog adjusting questions

    James, not to disagree, but

    From my manual:The top center link should be loose when deck rear is
    supported by the tail wheel. If not, lengthen center link until loose. Final adjustment will be made later.

    Refer to Figure 2-2:
    1. Lower cutter deck to the nominal cutting height.
    2. Adjust length of tractorç—´ 3-point top center link such
    that the top and bottom hitch pins are aligned
    vertically with each other. The pivot hitch should be
    at about a 45 degree angle when adjusted correctly.

    3. Lock center link in this position.

    This places the weight of the cutter on the tail wheel.

    I have a hydraulic top link and do adjust to have the tail wheel just kiss the ground when backing over drop offs, but keep the pivot hitch per manual the rest of the time to follow contours.

    I guess we all have our preferred methods.
    "An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett

  10. #10
    Epic Contributor k0ua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    22,922
    Location
    Branson, Mo.
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

    Default Re: Brush hog adjusting questions

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    James, not to disagree, but

    From my manual:The top center link should be loose when deck rear is
    supported by the tail wheel. If not, lengthen center link until loose. Final adjustment will be made later.

    Refer to Figure 2-2:
    1. Lower cutter deck to the nominal cutting height.
    2. Adjust length of tractorç—´ 3-point top center link such
    that the top and bottom hitch pins are aligned
    vertically with each other. The pivot hitch should be
    at about a 45 degree angle when adjusted correctly.

    3. Lock center link in this position.

    This places the weight of the cutter on the tail wheel.

    I have a hydraulic top link and do adjust to have the tail wheel just kiss the ground when backing over drop offs, but keep the pivot hitch per manual the rest of the time to follow contours.

    I guess we all have our preferred methods.

    Sure, if you have a manual, follow the manual. I was giving general directions to get him going. I have modified my cutter to have gauge wheels on the front, to prevent gouging when operating on rough uneven terrain (which is about all i have). I usually adjust to have them just ever so slightly off the ground on level ground. I know others do other things like chains instead of top link, and check chains etc.

    James K0UA
    James K0UA

    Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 12:43 PM
  2. Brush hog question
    By Juniper Ridge in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 10:08 PM
  3. 5' Brush Hog & B2320?
    By rpraymond in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 05:30 AM
  4. In need of a brush hog and tiller
    By jester7891 in forum Ag Tractors & Machinery
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 07:25 AM
  5. first real brush hog experience
    By schmism in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 10:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.