Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 146
  1. #131
    Elite Member Piston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,658
    Location
    Central MA, Lakes Region NH
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

    Default

    Randy, have you plumbed in the 3rd function valve yet?
    We're all anxious for you to get that baby together!



    Quote Originally Posted by IslandTractor

    Why don't big excavators have grapples bigger than 48"?
    Because they don't carry things long distances. Comparing a compact tractor to an excavator is not apples to apples.
    Excavators are built to dig, grapples aren't.

    Ever seen a 48" grapple on a skidsteer? (much more of a realistic comparison)
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

  2. #132
    Veteran Member Rockgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,365
    Location
    CNY
    Tractor
    JD Cabbed 3720

    Default Re: questions about choice of root grapple

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandTractor View Post
    Why don't big excavators have grapples bigger than 48"?
    Give it a rest.

    I know you think your the grapple guru and all but there are others out here with some grapple experience too. The guy asked a question and I gave him my answer. Let him make up his own mind. You've made your case now get off your high horse.
    JD 3720 Premium Cab, 300CX, 59" Front Mt. Blower, 72d MMM auto-connect deck.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,129
    Tractor
    L5450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockgod

    Give it a rest.

    I know you think your the grapple guru and all but there are others out here with some grapple experience too. The guy asked a question and I gave him my answer. Let him make up his own mind. You've made your case now get off your high horse.
    I would agree that the size of grapple needed depends on the size and nature of what is being grappled plus the size and type of tractor/Skidsteer it will be used on. To say that only small grapples are any good is like saying only small buckets are any good. If I am moving gravel I attach a small bucket. Would I attach that same small bucket if I am moving sawdust? Of course not. Would I want a 36" root grapple with two small teeth on top when back raking loose hay off the barn floor? No, I would use my 72" rake grapple. I even consider that too small for certain uses on 85hp and 100hp machines. At the same time I would like a 48" or smaller root grapple for different uses. So it all depends....
    Last edited by JoeBuyer; 09-28-2012 at 11:42 PM.

  4. #134
    Platinum Member rwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    585
    Location
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Tractor
    Kubota B6100 LS R3039H

    Default Re: questions about choice of root grapple

    Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    Randy, have you plumbed in the 3rd function valve yet?
    We're all anxious for you to get that baby together!




    Because they don't carry things long distances. Comparing a compact tractor to an excavator is not apples to apples.
    Excavators are built to dig, grapples aren't.

    Ever seen a 48" grapple on a skidsteer? (much more of a realistic comparison)
    No Piston,
    I haven't even had a chance to get this thing out of the crate yet. Got to get out the grinder, and cut this steel crate off of it. But I'm just running lines from my rear remotes. Whenever I get my rear hydraulics for my box blade, then I'll have to look at other options.
    I just hope I don't get rained out this weekend, cause I was sure looking to do some grapplin' !
    Randy

  5. #135
    Platinum Member rwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    585
    Location
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Tractor
    Kubota B6100 LS R3039H

    Default Re: questions about choice of root grapple

    I had considered getting a 60" grapple, but I have a lot of smaller trees that I'm working around, so I figured the 48" would allow me to get into tighter areas.

    Randy

  6. #136
    Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15,434
    Location
    Prudence Island, RI
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

    Default Re: questions about choice of root grapple

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockgod View Post
    Give it a rest.

    I know you think your the grapple guru and all but there are others out here with some grapple experience too. The guy asked a question and I gave him my answer. Let him make up his own mind. You've made your case now get off your high horse.
    Have you every used a 48" grapple and compared it to a larger one? I'll give it a rest when you report on your experiences with the smaller grapple and have something useful to say. I've used both and base my recommendations on 7 years of satisfaction with a 48", 300lb, $500 grapple.

    There are situations with a skidsteer cleaning up construction debris for example where a wider grapple makes a lot of sense. Skidsteers are generally construction machines and do different tasks. Big skidsteers used in brush clearing have much more powerful loaders than any CUT. The vast majority of CUT owners however are not doing construction work but rather field/brush/bale work. The wider grapples are heavier, less maneuverable and really don't carry more stuff unless you have some extremely specific task like moving small pieces of firewood. There are a lot of misconceptions by folks who haven't used 48" grapples regarding what they can hold and concerns that one grapple arm would not be as good as two. These myths are easily dispelled however by using a smaller grapple or just looking at all the photos people have posted. Why doesn't the human hand have two thumbs? Simple, because one works just fine. Closing a single grapple arm on a log or debris compresses the load against the bottom which really is more like a triangular vice than a pincer. The load is very stable. Both outside edges of the bottom and the top grapple compress the load. It isn't going anywhere.

    The bottom line with 48 vs larger is that there are only a very small number of tasks that a larger grapple can do better than a 48 (short firewood or sticks, construction debris) but there are at least as many tasks that a 48 does better than a larger grapple (digging, maneuvering, net lift weight capacity, etc). Any given loader can lift and transport a bigger tree, rock or load of brush with the 48 than with a heavier grapple. Do the math. And, 48's typically cost at least $400-600 less than the larger grapples. Finally, people with 48's don't complain about lack of width or dual arms.

  7. #137
    Elite Member Piston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,658
    Location
    Central MA, Lakes Region NH
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

    Default Re: questions about choice of root grapple

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandTractor View Post
    Have you every used a 48" grapple and compared it to a larger one? I'll give it a rest when you report on your experiences with the smaller grapple and have something useful to say. I've used both and base my recommendations on 7 years of satisfaction with a 48", 300lb, $500 grapple.

    There are situations with a skidsteer cleaning up construction debris for example where a wider grapple makes a lot of sense. Skidsteers are generally construction machines and do different tasks. Big skidsteers used in brush clearing have much more powerful loaders than any CUT. The vast majority of CUT owners however are not doing construction work but rather field/brush/bale work. The wider grapples are heavier, less maneuverable and really don't carry more stuff unless you have some extremely specific task like moving small pieces of firewood. There are a lot of misconceptions by folks who haven't used 48" grapples regarding what they can hold and concerns that one grapple arm would not be as good as two. These myths are easily dispelled however by using a smaller grapple or just looking at all the photos people have posted. Why doesn't the human hand have two thumbs? Simple, because one works just fine. Closing a single grapple arm on a log or debris compresses the load against the bottom which really is more like a triangular vice than a pincer. The load is very stable. Both outside edges of the bottom and the top grapple compress the load. It isn't going anywhere.

    The bottom line with 48 vs larger is that there are only a very small number of tasks that a larger grapple can do better than a 48 (short firewood or sticks, construction debris) but there are at least as many tasks that a 48 does better than a larger grapple (digging, maneuvering, net lift weight capacity, etc). Any given loader can lift and transport a bigger tree, rock or load of brush with the 48 than with a heavier grapple. Do the math. And, 48's typically cost at least $400-600 less than the larger grapples. Finally, people with 48's don't complain about lack of width or dual arms.
    I.T. I'm gonna respectively agree to disagree. We all have our opinions and you make very valid (and some very true points) and I believe I do as well. Maybe next time your on the mainland we should grab some beers somewhere and have a good grapple argument in person! I'll buy.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

  8. #138
    Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15,434
    Location
    Prudence Island, RI
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Piston

    I.T. I'm gonna respectively agree to disagree. We all have our opinions and you make very valid (and some very true points) and I believe I do as well. Maybe next time your on the mainland we should grab some beers somewhere and have a good grapple argument in person! I'll buy.
    Deal. I certainly recognize that a larger grapple may be best for some uses but i keep pointing out the virtues of the lightweight grapples for CUTs because new prospective buyers almost always make the simple and understandable error of aiming to duplicate the standard bucket width. CUT dealers often are not experienced with grapples and revert to skidsteer standards. My "crusade" is really just aimed at getting prospective buyers to think through the choice rather than assume larger is better or to rely on dealer advice which is too often naive or profit motivated.

    I'm sure we could resolve the matter over a few pitchers of draft though.

  9. #139
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    487
    Location
    Central, OK
    Tractor
    jd 1050 LS I3040H. CASE SC

    Default Re: questions about choice of root grapple

    We don't need you to resolve this through beers. We need a head to head video!! That way we can have the beer and learn.
    LS I3040H w/ loader
    JD 1050 w/ loader and backhoe
    Case SC. 1952

  10. #140
    Veteran Member Rockgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,365
    Location
    CNY
    Tractor
    JD Cabbed 3720

    Default Re: questions about choice of root grapple

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBuyer View Post
    I would agree that the size of grapple needed depends on the size and nature of what is being grappled plus the size and type of tractor/Skidsteer it will be used on. To say that only small grapples are any good is like saying only small buckets are any good. If I am moving gravel I attach a small bucket. Would I attach that same small bucket if I am moving sawdust? Of course not. Would I want a 36" root grapple with two small teeth on top when back raking loose hay off the barn floor? No, I would use my 72" rake grapple. I even consider that too small for certain uses on 85hp and 100hp machines. At the same time I would like a 48" or smaller root grapple for different uses. So it all depends....
    I'd even take it a step further and say there are times when I wish I had a wider grapple. On many occasions I've had to take a load of brush 1/4 mile to the burn pile. Even at 66" wide branches still fall out the sides. Or root raking a half acre area this spring. For my uses smaller is not better. It all depends...
    JD 3720 Premium Cab, 300CX, 59" Front Mt. Blower, 72d MMM auto-connect deck.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Root grapple vs rake grapple
    By hrcarver in forum Attachments
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM
  2. Controlled Study - Root grapple vs. Light Duty Grapple Rake
    By Mr. 5000 in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 06:35 PM
  3. Grapple 4 in 1 bucket , root grapple, or stump grapple ?
    By global312 in forum Attachments
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 05:02 AM
  4. root rake/grapple choice ??
    By briandennis1470 in forum Attachments
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 10:08 PM
  5. Grapple Grapple bucket versus root grapple?
    By hayden in forum Attachments
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.