Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    653
    Location
    vermont
    Tractor
    Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23

    Default Boom pole and top link

    There are many possible configurations for boom poles fitted to 3pth

    The commercial offerings all seem to require the use of a top link. However, the design offered by the University of N.Dakota Ag department shows a design without an additional free pivot top link.

    The "derrick" I've been using has two lower members, and a chain attached to the top link pin for the third member.

    My preference is for a taller structure that keeps the load forces down rather than acting on a long lever arm.

    But what is to be said for boom poles with or without separate top link?

    Application is lifting stuff .... yesterday I re-purposed a shed roof ;-)

    But lifting rounds onto the splitter, and loading and unloading machinery are frequent needs.

    TIA

    Cal in VT

  2. #2
    Veteran Member PhysAssist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,137
    Location
    Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it...
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalG
    There are many possible configurations for boom poles fitted to 3pth

    The commercial offerings all seem to require the use of a top link. However, the design offered by the University of N.Dakota Ag department shows a design without an additional free pivot top link.

    The "derrick" I've been using has two lower members, and a chain attached to the top link pin for the third member.

    My preference is for a taller structure that keeps the load forces down rather than acting on a long lever arm.

    But what is to be said for boom poles with or without separate top link?

    Application is lifting stuff .... yesterday I re-purposed a shed roof ;-)

    But lifting rounds onto the splitter, and loading and unloading machinery are frequent needs.

    TIA

    Cal in VT
    Could you post the link you're referencing so we can see what you mean?

    Thomas
    No matter where you go; there you are...

  3. #3
    Veteran Member sparc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,031
    Location
    NJ
    Tractor
    JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158

    Default Re: Boom pole and top link

    Quote Originally Posted by PhysAssist View Post
    Could you post the link you're referencing so we can see what you mean?

    Thomas
    No matter where you go; there you are...
    I think this is it.

    http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/aben-plans/6191.pdf


    The entire index of all plans available is here:

    Miscellaneous NDSU Ag CMS


    And in case you think you might need one, here's aplan for a Fallout Shelter for 6 people.
    http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/aben-plans/5957.pdf

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Gordon Gould's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,042
    Location
    NorthEastern, VT
    Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

    Default Re: Boom pole and top link

    I have been thinking about making one using thiis basic design. Doesn't use a top link at all. Seems like you could get a lot of rotation (height). But have not really worked it out yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -loghitch-jpg  
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

    L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,386
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Boom pole and top link

    I have built both types that is the ones using a top link and the ones that pin the boom to the tractor. Obviously you can get alot more rotation with the latter that pin the boom to the tractor but you better make sure your 3PH is working well as these are harder to control. The designs that use a standard top link have a lesser amount of travel and are easier to use as long as they will lift high enough for your uses.

    I would not use a boom pole with a chain top link segment, too easy for this to swing back towards the operator, could be fatal.

  6. #6
    Elite Member gwdixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,541
    Location
    Northern CA

    Default Re: Boom pole and top link

    How about adding a hydraulic top link for additional functionality?

    Just a random thought.
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Gordon Gould's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,042
    Location
    NorthEastern, VT
    Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

    Default Re: Boom pole and top link

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    Obviously you can get alot more rotation with the latter that pin the boom to the tractor but you better make sure your 3PH is working well as these are harder to control. .
    Thanks. Thats a good point I hadn't thought of. Seems like a model made for experimentation would be prudent then.
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

    L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

  8. #8
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    533
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Tractor
    John Deere 4200

    Default Re: Boom pole and top link

    Quote Originally Posted by sparc View Post
    I think this is it.

    http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/aben-plans/6191.pdf


    The entire index of all plans available is here:

    Miscellaneous NDSU Ag CMS


    And in case you think you might need one, here's aplan for a Fallout Shelter for 6 people.
    http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/aben-plans/5957.pdf
    Thanks for these links , found a lot of good info.here.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,386
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Boom pole and top link

    Gordon,
    If the boom is pinned to the top link clevis mount on the tractor that would be better than the drawbar setup you posted. You can get more lift out of the higher pivot point with a shorter boom. Most phd's are setup this way and some such as my JD 31B have a hook built in from the factory for lifting.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Gordon Gould's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,042
    Location
    NorthEastern, VT
    Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

    Default Re: Boom pole and top link

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    Gordon,
    If the boom is pinned to the top link clevis mount on the tractor that would be better than the drawbar setup you posted. You can get more lift out of the higher pivot point with a shorter boom. Most phd's are setup this way and some such as my JD 31B have a hook built in from the factory for lifting.
    ahh - Thanks again Steve
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

    L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 3-Point Hitch If you had to choose 1: Hyd Top Link or Tilt Link?
    By JD 4520 in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 09:09 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 10:54 AM
  3. Replies: 70
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 07:52 PM
  4. FEL Gin pole (Boom pole and then some)
    By srjones in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 03:30 AM
  5. Boom pole or gin pole( with hydrolic cylinder)
    By dennis001us in forum Customization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2006, 02:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.