Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 87
  1. #31
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    48,366
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    inverter nice and quite though.. hungry.. but quiet.. could double as a heater on a cold night..

  2. #32
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    645
    Location
    Fairmont, WV
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell

    The three-point arms are made to hold an implement that is being run on the PTO. How much torque do you think a tiller puts on the arms? What good would the PTO be if it was capable of torquing off the three-point arms?!
    My interpretation of the twist is the play that in the 3 point arms and the top link.

    I know when I first fire up my brush hog it does move the 3 points a bit on initial engagement.
    Brian

    2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

  3. #33
    Super Star Member RoyJackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    18,663
    Location
    Bethel, Vermont
    Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    Quote Originally Posted by megaboz View Post
    My interpretation of the twist is the play that in the 3 point arms and the top link.

    I know when I first fire up my brush hog it does move the 3 points a bit on initial engagement.
    Yep, torque is torque...but twisting or breaking the lower link arms isn't going to happen...
    Now, a caveat..if an idiot hooked a subcut PTO up to a Cat 3 cutter, something could break.
    Roy Jackson

    "Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

  4. #34
    Elite Member zzvyb6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,600
    Location
    michigan
    Tractor
    jd 1070

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    I have read the trailer type (the ones not connected to the 3PH) can rotate from the PTO torque if not bolted down to the trailer.
    That is 'theoretically possible if you are starting to power up a small department store with a very large freezer section (or lets say a grain dryer to be realistic). When you throw the breaker to engage the load, the emf retarding torque can be large. On a home, that could be because the furnace is out, the well is out, all your electronics chargers are on, and you might have forgotten to throw the mains. But, a single hitch on the drawbar won't resist this torque. The trailer axle width does. My 50kw has breakers on the 3 phase taps, the single phase 220 output stove plug, the genny field coils and the 120v convenience outlet. The breakers will open before the torque gets large enough.

    On my diesel F935 hookup, I don't even bother with the tongue attachment. The only thing you would notice is the motor governor burping when all this demand is encountered. All the gen-set waxers would probably want to carefully engage each panel breaker one at a time until they have enough stuff working in the house. Otherwise the tires might get dirty when she digs in. If this happens at night, the neighbors might discover it before you do and the subdivision newsletter report could make you the laughing stock of the 'hood. OMG....
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

  5. #35
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    645
    Location
    Fairmont, WV
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson

    Yep, torque is torque...but twisting or breaking the lower link arms isn't going to happen...
    Now, a caveat..if an idiot hooked a subcut PTO up to a Cat 3 cutter, something could break.
    Yea I know it wouldn't break them, but the play will let it shift some. That's what I thought the question was about. Wouldn't that cause issues? My thinking that it could cause some, probably minor, frequency variations for a brief period. Probably not something to worry about.
    Brian

    2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

  6. #36
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    48,366
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    Quote Originally Posted by megaboz View Post
    Yea I know it wouldn't break them, but the play will let it shift some. That's what I thought the question was about. Wouldn't that cause issues? My thinking that it could cause some, probably minor, frequency variations for a brief period. Probably not something to worry about.
    sounds like the 3pt doesn't have well adjusted stabilizers, or toplink.. and/or the lower 3pt lift arm balls are loose.

    On my 660 and 8n.. both have stabilizer bars on each sid eof the 3pt, plus stay bars.. plus toplink.. and all ball ends are good.


    when i start up the genny, under load.. the engine hits for a sec as the gov picks it up.. then it's off and running.

    no jiggle / jangle play back there.

    IMHO.. that much play back there will beat the tractor up if you have a real implement on it swinging and beating around back there.

    sounds like some people need to address their rear hitch?

  7. #37
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    645
    Location
    Fairmont, WV
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

    Default

    Could be. I was just pointing out that whole 3 point question may have been about the play in the 3 point.
    Brian

    2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

  8. #38
    Super Star Member RoyJackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    18,663
    Location
    Bethel, Vermont
    Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    Quote Originally Posted by megaboz View Post
    Yea I know it wouldn't break them, but the play will let it shift some. That's what I thought the question was about. Wouldn't that cause issues? My thinking that it could cause some, probably minor, frequency variations for a brief period. Probably not something to worry about.
    Yep, probably not something to worry about...there's nothing on the 3PH that is made so precisely or delicately that you'd see appreciable wear for years of operation.
    However, just ensure the genny has a stout enough stand to keep it in place.
    Roy Jackson

    "Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

  9. #39
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    103
    Location
    West Virginia
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030, M9540

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    I have a 30kW PTO Generator but I'm looking at a 35 kW Generac liquid cooled natural gas powered generator with an auto-switch. On June 29 we got hit by a big storm and then we had 9-days of no electric, my tractor went thru my 100-gallons of fuel and thankfully I had a friend who had access to diesel to refill my 100-gallon tank. The tractor split duties of cleaning up my property with over 24 trees (virgin timber - huge) and keeping the 100+ degree outside temperatures at bay by powering the PTO Generator running my whole house electrical needs (Two - 5 ton AC Units, 3 Frig's and of course the wife's hair dryer).

    The price of NG is half of that in Diesel in WV so the cost to operate for extended periods is cheaper as well not to mention the Tractor's R & M cost from extended run times in that kind of heat. Another issue to consider is when I'm not home my wife can have electric immediatly should a power outage occur which has averaged 4-times per year for the last 14-years.
    Kubota L5030
    Kubota M9540
    Too Many Implements to List

  10. #40
    Elite Member dex3361's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,568
    Location
    N. of Charleston WV
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    Quote Originally Posted by WVBartMan View Post
    I have a 30kW PTO Generator but I'm looking at a 35 kW Generac liquid cooled natural gas powered generator with an auto-switch. On June 29 we got hit by a big storm and then we had 9-days of no electric, my tractor went thru my 100-gallons of fuel and thankfully I had a friend who had access to diesel to refill my 100-gallon tank. The tractor split duties of cleaning up my property with over 24 trees (virgin timber - huge) and keeping the 100+ degree outside temperatures at bay by powering the PTO Generator running my whole house electrical needs (Two - 5 ton AC Units, 3 Frig's and of course the wife's hair dryer).

    The price of NG is half of that in Diesel in WV so the cost to operate for extended periods is cheaper as well not to mention the Tractor's R & M cost from extended run times in that kind of heat. Another issue to consider is when I'm not home my wife can have electric immediatly should a power outage occur which has averaged 4-times per year for the last 14-years.
    Mine was out for 9 days. It was a mad house to find gas but diesel was a lot easier to find. Did you lose power when Sandy blew through?
    Randall



    1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
    From: The HOLY BIBLE

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Natural Gas Generator
    By Rat Rod Mac in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 07:42 PM
  2. Wood Gas Generator
    By jones6780 in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 08:07 PM
  3. How to adapt gas engine to 540 rpm's to generator??
    By jburd964 in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 03:31 PM
  4. running a pto sprayer with a gas engine
    By Pokeboater in forum Customization
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 02:11 AM
  5. 3 phase gas generator uses
    By tawilson in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 06:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.