Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 87
  1. #61
    Gold Member Kioti Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    483
    Location
    Industry, Pa- - 5 mi. north of Ohio River
    Tractor
    Kioti DS4510, Ford '48 8N, Ford '53 Jubilee, Power King 1614

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    [QUOTE=msch2112;3114397]hi,

    i'm thinking of a 25kw PTO generator for my 105hp JD. it wouldn't be used often but there more for long term issues down the road if need be. i don't want to tap into our propane tank because i want that fuel available elsewhere and i'ld probably burn 2 gallons of propane/hr. just how many gallons of diesel per hour would my tractor burn at 540rpm? i've got the 4 cylinder diesel engine.

    thanks,

    First, to TBN. You have to consider the rpm you have to run your tractor to get 540 rpm on the PTO. My Kioti
    produces 540 PTO at 2600 rpm. That can use up the diesel. If you can work that out, then you will have an approximate
    idea of fuel useage...
    Good luck
    Tom
    Kioti 2012 DS4510 with FEL
    Ford 1948 8N
    Ford 1953 Jubilee
    Power King 1614
    Various 3 pt. equipment
    Sold: Ford 1946 2N, Kioti 2011 DS3510

  2. #62
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,417
    Location
    Northern Fingerlakes region of NY, USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    Do you have the 1000 RPM PTO option (aka "e-pto"?) If you have a way to spin your PTO faster than normal (such as a 1000RPM mode) you can probably save a little on fuel that way
    The Nebraska tractor tests lists that tractor as using 1.43 to 5.75 gallons per hour depending on the load (Source: http://tractortestlab.unl.edu/deere/5105m.pdf) and most 25KW gensets want 50HP. If the generator is using 50HP, the tractor will use ~4 gallons per hour. If you are lightly loading it, you will probably still use at least 2 gallons per hour.

    Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

  3. #63
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    48,591
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    fuel usage will be based on electrical load. ( hp used )

    Quote Originally Posted by msch2112 View Post
    hi,

    i'm thinking of a 25kw PTO generator for my 105hp JD. it wouldn't be used often but there more for long term issues down the road if need be. i don't want to tap into our propane tank because i want that fuel available elsewhere and i'ld probably burn 2 gallons of propane/hr. just how many gallons of diesel per hour would my tractor burn at 540rpm? i've got the 4 cylinder diesel engine.

    thanks,

    mike

  4. #64
    Member msch2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    43
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Tractor
    JD 5105m

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    thanks for the replies guys. yes, the PTO has a 540E and standard 540. according to the manual, in 540 mode i reach 1000rpm PTO at 2100 rpm engine speed. i am just guessing right now i'ld use 50% of the load for a 25kw.

    i was just thinking that not buying another motor in a generator is one less repair/maintenance task for me! i'm not a genius in the electrical department at all and kw, v, a, and watts is killing me.

    mike

  5. #65
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,250
    Location
    NE USA
    Tractor
    JD LA115, WH 244, WH 525 hydro-pops,Original Troy Built Horse 8 HP

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    Check the Nebraska tractor tests for your mules fuel consumption
    at the throttle high idle setting for 540 rpm.

  6. #66
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    48,591
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    i also prefer having 1 less engine to feed. plus i trust my tractor engine alot more than the lawnmower eng on most small gennies..


    Quote Originally Posted by msch2112 View Post
    thanks for the replies guys. yes, the PTO has a 540E and standard 540. according to the manual, in 540 mode i reach 1000rpm PTO at 2100 rpm engine speed. i am just guessing right now i'ld use 50% of the load for a 25kw.

    i was just thinking that not buying another motor in a generator is one less repair/maintenance task for me! i'm not a genius in the electrical department at all and kw, v, a, and watts is killing me.

    mike

  7. #67
    Member msch2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    43
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Tractor
    JD 5105m

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    Do you have the 1000 RPM PTO option (aka "e-pto"?) If you have a way to spin your PTO faster than normal (such as a 1000RPM mode) you can probably save a little on fuel that way
    The Nebraska tractor tests lists that tractor as using 1.43 to 5.75 gallons per hour depending on the load (Source: http://tractortestlab.unl.edu/deere/5105m.pdf) and most 25KW gensets want 50HP. If the generator is using 50HP, the tractor will use ~4 gallons per hour. If you are lightly loading it, you will probably still use at least 2 gallons per hour.

    Aaron Z
    great site you referenced! i'm a little shocked to see i use that much fuel on the PTO alone. guess i hadn't paid attention. since i'm using 5.75gal/hr in at 2100rpm at 1000, i'm not sure this is as economical i thought it would be. not sure running the generator at 50% would reduce fuel consumption that much.

    thanks again!

    mike

    ps. i can't believe all the info out there on tractorbynet. looks like i've been missing alot.

  8. #68
    Elite Member schmism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,943
    Location
    Peoria IL
    Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    Quote Originally Posted by msch2112 View Post
    since i'm using 5.75gal/hr in at 2100rpm at 1000, i'm not sure this is as economical i thought it would be.
    .
    as your over driving that genhead with about twice the hp as needed... i wouldn't be surprised if your in the 4gal per hr.

    a standalone 25Kw genset runs at roughly 2.2 gal diesel an hr or 3.3 gal propane an hr (on ~50hp engines)
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

  9. #69
    Silver Member daybreak1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    173
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Tractor
    Lots of John Deere tractors

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    Quote Originally Posted by msch2112 View Post
    great site you referenced! i'm a little shocked to see i use that much fuel on the PTO alone. guess i hadn't paid attention. since i'm using 5.75gal/hr in at 2100rpm at 1000, i'm not sure this is as economical i thought it would be. not sure running the generator at 50% would reduce fuel consumption that much.

    thanks again!

    mike

    ps. i can't believe all the info out there on tractorbynet. looks like i've been missing alot.
    Howdy,
    Do not believe any of that information on that site. It really has no bearing on running a PTO generator. That's like saying running a hay tedder at 540, would use the same fuel has running a batwing bushhog at 540.

    Which JD is it?
    6430premium (listed at 135hp or true 109 pto hp) here with the 540e running a tiger power 30kw generator with a load af about 17kw, I was burning approx 1.4g/hr by looking at the computer panel for fuel usage. The actual engine rpm is around 1610rpm with of course the pto shaft at 540rpm
    Like anything, I am not trying to run the generator at 100% capacity either. If you go with a 25kw generator, I am sure it will run everything you have.

    Larger PTO generator will have 4 pole heads = a good thing = the internals then spin at 1800rpm = which translates into less gearing from the shaft = quieter performance
    smaller PTO generators will have 2 pole heads which need to sping along at 3600rpm = more gearing = more noise from gears and internals spinning fast = longevity compromised
    Later Mike ~~~
    JD green here
    tractors and implements

  10. #70
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,417
    Location
    Northern Fingerlakes region of NY, USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

    Default Re: PTO vs Gas Engine Generator

    Quote Originally Posted by daybreak1998 View Post
    Howdy,
    Do not believe any of that information on that site. It really has no bearing on running a PTO generator. That's like saying running a hay tedder at 540, would use the same fuel has running a batwing bushhog at 540.
    Did you read the PDF I linked? It has a table with x PTO HP used = y gallons of fuel used per hour.
    Of course you will use less fuel running a tedder than you would running a bush hog, but that tractor will use ~1.7 gallons of fuel per hour just to spin the engine at 2200 RPM.

    His profile lists a JD 5105m, so that is what I looked up on the Nebraska Tractor tests which are very well regarded at measuring the actual output of a tractor.

    Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Natural Gas Generator
    By Rat Rod Mac in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 08:42 PM
  2. Wood Gas Generator
    By jones6780 in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 09:07 PM
  3. How to adapt gas engine to 540 rpm's to generator??
    By jburd964 in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 04:31 PM
  4. running a pto sprayer with a gas engine
    By Pokeboater in forum Customization
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 03:11 AM
  5. 3 phase gas generator uses
    By tawilson in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.